TV Home Forum

BBC DOGs move to 16:9 area

Split from The CBBC Thread (April 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
(going even further off topic - soon after CBBC and CBeebies launched, Sky were apparently having issues switching the channels in the space of 30 seconds at 1858, so for a while both the kids' channels shut down at 1845ish to avoid adult-orientated programming appearing in the kids' section of the EPG)

I remember that; I just thought that was because they always just finished early.

Oh by the way I've seen the CBBC Prime idents, or at least one of them anyway, on TV Ark.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yeah, the only exception to the CBeebies-esque line-up was Chucklevision, which transferred to the CBBC channel. (there were also a few bits from the arhive like Bitsa which had they continued being repeated would probably have gone to CBBC).

Yes, there were some real oddities on there - decent but not very well remembered programmes like Bitsa. There weren't that many episodes so they ended up getting repeated again and again. One Christmas day they showed an 80's Christmas edition of Play School

Quote:
(going even further off topic - soon after CBBC and CBeebies launched, Sky were apparently having issues switching the channels in the space of 30 seconds at 1858, so for a while both the kids' channels shut down at 1845ish to avoid adult-orientated programming appearing in the kids' section of the EPG)

There was one total failure where they didn't switch well into the evening, IIRC they put a system in place which took the channel off air totally if it hadn't changed by a certain time, probably 9pm.
VM
VMPhil

Quote:

There was one total failure where they didn't switch well into the evening, IIRC they put a system in place which took the channel off air totally if it hadn't changed by a certain time, probably 9pm.

Was that the one before Choice and Knowledge shut down? And they both had to broadcast a slide saying they could not continue broadcasting due to a switching failure?
WP
WillPS
I assume this was only on DSat, since DTT is normally able to switch with ease.

The old NTL EPG never used to switch at all (in my experience). If you stayed on CBBC after 7pm you'd end up seeing BBC Choice/BBC Three, however you couldn't tune to them outside of hours, it was as if they just changed the channel number and name at 7pm.
DV
dvboy

The old NTL EPG never used to switch at all (in my experience). If you stayed on CBBC after 7pm you'd end up seeing BBC Choice/BBC Three, however you couldn't tune to them outside of hours, it was as if they just changed the channel number and name at 7pm.

You could tune to them out of hours on the NTL I had, so you could end up with adult material on BBC3/4 in the kids channels section.
WP
WillPS
dvboy posted:

You could tune to them out of hours on the NTL I had, so you could end up with adult material on BBC3/4 in the kids channels section.

Ahh yes that'd definitely make more sense - else how would one have been able to set reminders etc.?

Still, strange that NTL got away with it for years yet when Sky failed to switch they had to completely cut off.

All this talk of switching reminds me of the days of analogue cable, when channel slots were mostly shared in a daytime/evening arrangement, and frequently you'd see up to 5 minutes of the wrong channel before somebody (I imagine?) turned a physical swtich. There was still an element of this going on with ONdigital/ITV Digital.
VM
VMPhil
There also used to be problems with DOGs (unintentionally bringing us back on topic!), and the CBBC/CBeebies DOG used to be appear on BBC Choice+Three/BBC Knowledge+Four for at least a few minutes into the first programme after 7pm.
:-(
A former member
CBBC Choice ident - Jelly (1999) (Converted to FLV from RM - ie poor quality!)

Somewhere in the midst of time I downloaded this - thanks to the original poster.

http://www.theidentgallery.com/misc/misc/cbbcchoice-jelly.flv
VM
VMPhil
CBBC Choice ident - Jelly (1999) (Converted to FLV from RM - ie poor quality!)

Somewhere in the midst of time I downloaded this - thanks to the original poster.
<snip>

I don't mind about the bad quality, that's the first time I have ever seen a CBBC Choice ident ever. And it's in widescreen. Thanks very much!
OV
Orry Verducci
On the switching side of things, I believe on all platforms BBC Three/CBBC and BBC Four/CBeebies use the same video streams, simply changing their PID just before 7pm so that they change channel on the EPG's. Not sure where this switch takes place for Cable, but for DTT and DSat I expect it takes place at the BBC's end as they handle their own encoding and satellite uplink. Therefore any failure to change PIDs and therefore EPG channel is a problem at BBC's end.

I know if you connect a normal DVB-C tuner to Virgin's network the streams for the channels show both channels at all times, so it must be the EPG software cutting the channels at the expected times. On Sky and DSat where the PID's change they can no longer find video on the PID specified for each channel and therefore think the channel is off air.
IS
Inspector Sands
CBBC Choice ident - Jelly (1999) (Converted to FLV from RM - ie poor quality!) Somewhere in the midst of time I downloaded this - thanks to the original poster.

Thanks for that, I was trying to work out what the third type of jelly was - Jelly Baby!
IS
Inspector Sands
I know if you connect a normal DVB-C tuner to Virgin's network the streams for the channels show both channels at all times, so it must be the EPG software cutting the channels at the expected times. On Sky and DSat where the PID's change they can no longer find video on the PID specified for each channel and therefore think the channel is off air.

I think that cable works differently to DTT and DSAT in that respect. There is a separate video-stream that is allocated to channels which are offair. In the Telewest days this had sound, now it's just a silent caption but I'm pretty sure it is a video stream rather than a caption generated in the box, either way it's very low bandwidth.

Newer posts