TV Home Forum

Culture Secretary unveils plans for new national TV channel

Jeremy Hunt plans national Freeview channel with local content (January 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Saw this via a friend's Facebook post. It seems the Tories want to fix what they ruined back in 1990, but not by bringing proper localness back to ITV, but by launching a new channel...

More from the Grauniad: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/19/jeremy-hunt-new-television-channel

Your views welcome...
RE
remlap
There seems to be some conflicting stories here some articles are saying a channel six which is national and others are saying local television.
TV
tvtwintrees Founding member
From my understanding, the proposal follow the original Channel 6 model. The current proposal is a National channel, but with set opt-out times for Local content. Looking to have between 10-15 local variations by 2015.
RE
remlap
Ah so satellite will have national feed while digital terrestrial and cable will have the closest local channel. Seems almost like a US style network.
NE
Neil__
Ah so satellite will have national feed while digital terrestrial and cable will have the closest local channel. Seems almost like a US style network.

I'm guessing the Government won't be able/want to enforce a reserved channel number for it though.
NE
Neil__
Okay, should have read the article first...
ST
Stuart
Channel 6.....a network of local affiliates.

Isn't that what ITV was, and is, licensed to provide as part of its C3 licence and have continually reneged on?
VM
VMPhil
This is interesting. If it does become a new ITV, will we see major international companies come out of this as we did Granada and Carlton from ITV?
ST
Stuart
This is interesting. If it does become a new ITV, will we see major international companies come out of this as we did Granada and Carlton from ITV?

Surely the point is that it doesn't become a conglomerate like ITV plc.

Rather than go to all this time and expense, wouldn't it be easier to rescind the rules about multiple C3 licence ownership and force the breakup of ITV?
VM
VMPhil

Surely the point is that it doesn't become a conglomerate like ITV plc.

I didn't mean like that, I meant companies who, up until 1990 Broadcasting Act, had become the major provider in programming for the network, such as Granada and Thames (and later Carlton, but that was after the Act).
MA
mark Founding member
From the BBC News Online article by Torin Douglas (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12229832):
Quote:
If a new national network proves too difficult, what if one of the existing public service networks became the "spine", using its existing audience to give a leg-up to the local opt-outs.

ITV already has regional news services - would it like to extend into more local programming?

Er, no.
RE
remlap
Channel 6.....a network of local affiliates.

Isn't that what ITV was, and is, licensed to provide as part of its C3 licence and have continually reneged on?

Doesn't read like that to me, it reads to me like one company is going to be providing the back bone of shows while regional stations will their own opt out time.

Reads more like how STV and UTV operate now.

Newer posts