TV Home Forum

Quizmania 2005-2007

Also known as the 'Greggles watch' thread (January 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
I know there is discussion on this in the ITV Play thread, but I think it deserves its own thread. So there.

Basically, on Sunday 14th January, Quizmania will end forever.

It's not sure what has caused this decision but it does seem that ITV wanted rid but couldn't scrap a popular slot, so shunted it around the schedules until now... the end of an era.

I know there are people who hate these quiz shows with a passion, but Quizmania provided me with genuine entertainment when it was on every night on ITV1. I started watching it because I was having trouble sleeping.

Then when it moved to ITV2 there was an outcry but it still remained popular and in the public consciousness. A petition was started. This was also the time I got through to the big QM myself, where I provided the following exchange:

Greg Scott: Hello, who's there?

Me: It's Matt from Newport.

GS: Matt, what you doing up at this time?

Me: Can't sleep...

GS: Awww,

Me: That, and because QM is so unmissable.

<SFX of applause and cheering>

GS: Aw thanks Matt

Me: And it should be back on ITV1 where it belongs.

GS: Err... (awkward moment) we're just as happy on ITV2 though...

Me: Err, yeah of course.

GS: Matt don't ever put me in that position again, you'll get me in trouble...

Then back to ITV1 weekends, the 'prime time' quiz slot... and then relegated to ITV Play, the 'not so prime time' slot.

I have to say I've not watched much of it since it has been on ITV Play. Better things to do and all... But I know that people involved with Quizmania read this forum and I'd like to thank them for all the entertainment they provided me in 2006.
DJ
DJGM
I assume the Australian carbon copy version of Quizmania is still on (IIRC) their Nine Network?
CO
Colm
While I'm not a fan of quiz show channels or strands, Quizmania has been the exception to the rule. Always entertaining with engaging, fun and down-to-earth presenters, the team always treated their participants with more fun and more respect than any other quiz.

Many a long night I was entertained by Greggles (who DESERVES a prime time game show!), Debbie, Flash, Nigel and the others... it always looked like the whole team were enjoying themselves and loving their job - which is rare in these days I think.

Thank you QM and the best of luck in the future to everyone involved. You will be missed.
BR
Brekkie
DJGM posted:
I assume the Australian carbon copy version of Quizmania is still on (IIRC) their Nine Network?

I think some of the regional stations have dropped it, though it is still running.

Echo the general view - Quiz Mania is the exception to the rule and virtually the only ones of these shows I'd find myself watching.

In my opinion it was to the quiz TV market what The Big Breakfast was too breakfast television when it launched - never forgetting it was there too entertain above all else.

Hopefully every cloud though will have a silver lining as some of the QM team do deserve a chance to mix with the big boys.

As for Mr Scott - based on the last couple of days, I think the Countdown job might be up for grabs again sooner rather than later!

(You may need to age about twenty years though!)
WO
Woody_streatham
Whataday posted:
I

I know there are people who hate these quiz shows with a passion, but Quizmania provided me with genuine entertainment when it was on every night on ITV1.

No. Genuine late night entertainment was James Whale, God's Gift, Carnal Knoweldge, Alien Nation, Get Suffed, The Big E, Pyjama Party, The Haunted Fishtank, American Gladiators, The Equaliser, Prisoner: Cell Block H and so on.

Quizmania was an excuse to extract money out of the drunk and had no entertainment value whatsoever (however good the hosts)
BA
Bail Moderator
Woody_streatham posted:
Quizmania was an excuse to extract money out of the drunk and had no entertainment value whatsoever (however good the hosts)

In your opinion. I personally found it a highly amusing and entertaining show, and I never felt the need to try and call in, just playing along at home and listening to the encyclopedic knowledge of Greg was interesting enough. Certainly better than some of the other rubbish on TV where I'm told to "call in" and vote for my fave dancer/singer/other pointless celeb related show.
AD
adamiow
Brekkie Boy posted:

As for Mr Scott - based on the last couple of days, I think the Countdown job might be up for grabs again sooner rather than later!

(You may need to age about twenty years though!)

Very Happy Very true. I think Greg would be very good at Countdown. Much better than cringe worthy Mr O'Connor!
WO
Woody_streatham
Bail posted:
Woody_streatham posted:

In your opinion. I personally found it a highly amusing and entertaining show, and I never felt the need to try and call in, just playing along at home and listening to the encyclopedic knowledge of Greg was interesting enough. Certainly better than some of the other rubbish on TV where I'm told to "call in" and vote for my fave dancer/singer/other pointless celeb related show.

Are you saying that Quizmania is better than X-Factor? Shocked

All I was saying is that at 2am I would rather be watching some cheesy subtitled film that ITV Nighttime use to love, rather than watching a tower game with answers so obscure, no one can get them without clues, while the presenter just says "get yourself on hold" over and over intersperesed with long pauses.

No wonder TV today is in such a shocking state if people consider Quizmania entertainment. Sad
WH
Whataday Founding member
Woody_streatham posted:
No. Genuine late night entertainment was James Whale, God's Gift, Carnal Knoweldge, Alien Nation, Get Suffed, The Big E, Pyjama Party, The Haunted Fishtank, American Gladiators, The Equaliser, Prisoner: Cell Block H and so on.

Really? Sounds like a Who's Who of TV Hell.
BA
Bail Moderator
Woody_streatham posted:
Bail posted:
Woody_streatham posted:

Are you saying that Quizmania is better than X-Factor? Shocked

Yes, by miles. Watching manufacted wanna be pop stars, another serice of a tired format and so many "Extra/Behind the Scenes/Revealed" shows you can't escape it. Yes I'd rather watch ceefax than X Factor, Strictly Come Dancing, Just the two of us, I'm a Celeb, Big Brother...

THESE are the problem with TV today.
WO
Woody_streatham
Whataday posted:
Woody_streatham posted:

So four hours of someone standing there telling you "it's only 75p a minute from a BT landline" or "You need to be on hold right now" over and over with a static screen of a tower game, where no-one has gotten an answer for over an hour (and they won't as the answers border on illegal, they are so obscure - A girls name with M? Meadow. Who is called Meadow?), with long pauses with the presenter staring at the screen.

You are saying that is better than the magic that was Cell Block H?
BA
Bail Moderator
Woody_streatham posted:
Whataday posted:
Woody_streatham posted:

So four hours of someone standing there telling you "it's only 75p a minute from a BT landline" or "You need to be on hold right now" over and over with a static screen of a tower game, where no-one has gotten an answer for over an hour (and they won't as the answers border on illegal, they are so obscure - A girls name with M? Meadow. Who is called Meadow?), with long pauses with the presenter staring at the screen.

You are saying that is better than the magic that was Cell Block H?

Quizmania isn't/wasn't like that, thats why people liked it.

Newer posts