New Meridian, BBC South & South East Thread

(July 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PT
Put The Telly On
Thumbs up from me.
GL
Glenn
The only gripe I have about the Meridian East backdrop they're currently using is that during the after-dark bulletins, the backdrop appears to be pitch black. Not as nice to look at then! Neutral

Nice to see Séan Batty doing the weather for BBC South as opposed to a national forecaster doing it (though I don't mind Dan Corbett doing it! Smile ). Wonder if he's sticking with BBC South now or if he's there pending a new forecaster being recruited. I know he's done other regions before.

15 days later

GL
Glenn
Another Meridian Weather blooper storyboard for you. This time the culprit's Rockin' Robin Lermitte (Debbie Thrower's words, not mine!). Again I found this on ITV Local and the look on poor Robin's face does seem to show some disappointment.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6826/robinlermittebloopermeridians0822evesbun3.jpg

He seems to be pointing the clicker as if it's a remote control. I don't think any of the other regions have that kind of clicker eh?

In other South news, as I guess it was already mentioned, Andy Craig has left Meridian West. I'm sorry to see him go because from the times I've watched Meridian Tonight (West) he has been a fab presenter. I wish him the best of luck.

Seán Batty's reign as BBC South's weather presenter seems to be over. I don't know if she's Alina Jenkins' permanent replacement but we now have Laura Gilchrist as the presenter. I read she's from Chichester, so wonder if that's significant.
MA
Markymark
Glenn posted:
Andy Craig has left Meridian West. I'm sorry to see him go because from the times I've watched Meridian Tonight (West) he has been a fab presenter. I wish him the best of luck.

Yep, AIUI with the new merged Central/Meridian Thames Valley show coming soon, there wasn't room for Andy AND Wesley on the same programme.
NE
newsmonkey
Glenn posted:

Seán Batty's reign as BBC South's weather presenter seems to be over. I don't know if she's Alina Jenkins' permanent replacement but we now have Laura Gilchrist as the presenter. I read she's from Chichester, so wonder if that's significant.

Laura's not the new presenter, and I forget who she is (I have the email somewhere at work), but Mike Powell will be taking over in a week or two until she starts in October.
James
BS
brotherton sands

I wonder why CNeast and all 3 Meridians had "cardboard" backdrops to start with?

I assumed at the time that it was lack of space - i.e. studio too small for the set to be able to have (A) a projector, and (B) sufficient projection distance, behind it.

Yet, eventually, all four programmes have introduced projector screen backdrops! Have they miraculously found enough space out of thin air? Or was there no good reason for the previous static backdrops in the first place?
GL
Glenn
newsmonkey posted:
Mike Powell will be taking over in a week or two until she starts in October.
James

That'll be cool to see Mike Powell back on BBC South. I watched him regularly on BBC Points West during Breakfast but I haven't seen him on there for AGES! I had to wonder whether Mr Powell'd consider a return, even if it's temporarily. Smile
CW
CentralWest
Work of Artifice posted:

I wonder why CNeast and the 3 Meridian's had "cardboard" backdrops to start with?

I assumed at the time that it was lack of space - i.e. studio too small for the set to be able to have (A) a projector, and (B) sufficient projection distance, behind it.

Yet, eventually, all four programmes have introduced projector screen backdrops! Have they miraculously found enough space out of thin air? Or was there no good reason for the previous static backdrops in the first place?

I say it was down to money. CNE no way could have got more space.
NE
newsmonkey
Glenn posted:
newsmonkey posted:
Mike Powell will be taking over in a week or two until she starts in October.
James

That'll be cool to see Mike Powell back on BBC South. I watched him regularly on BBC Points West during Breakfast but I haven't seen him on there for AGES! I had to wonder whether Mr Powell'd consider a return, even if it's temporarily. Smile

It's a rather sore point (and annoying from a professional point of view) that they'd overlook a familiar regional face in favour of a (female) presenter from elsewhere...
GL
Glenn
Glenn posted:
Apologies for the size, but this is 75% of the original size. I managed to capture a Martyn Davies blooper from ITV Local (South East weather) last Thursday (20th), where he fluffed up and reset to retake. I hope it's of interest to some, especially the VT clock too!

I managed to find a clip of the Martyn Davies blooper on YouTube if anyone was interested to see it. It's quite funny to see these weather folk react when things go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuM42Lw2SVQ
GL
Glenn
Meridian South & South East was pan-regional today, with Amanda Piper in front of Brighton's Palace Pier.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8644/itvmeridianssepanregionamandapiper1060826ou1.jpg
(Apologies for poor quality, but I captured it in full screen, but shrunk it down because I felt the normal size was too small)

In addition, a pan-regional forecast from Martyn Davies:

Meridian West had their own bulletin, but could this be a sign of things to come for weekend bulletins? Afterall, it was mentioned Meridian bulletins would go pan-reg when Meridian West & Central South merge.
Last edited by Glenn on 4 July 2010 2:11am
LO
Londoner
Such a shame it's gone pan-regional. It's effectively throwing in the towel as regards trying to provide any kind of equivalence to the BBC regional services.

Still, good idea to use the view from Meridian's Brighton bureau for the pan-regionals.

Newer posts