TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Moz
I'm glad someone has brought this up.

On the whole I think BBC Sport presentation is in a different league to all other presentation on TV - it's Chelsea to all the others!

I always find the graphics neat, like the way they animate and they're impressive without being over the top, like Sky's. The titles of the programmes are great and the sets are always top draw. Compare the Match of the Day and Focus sets - which are smallish but very tall and hence impressive - with the news sets. They're far far better.

But the best thing is just the overall professional feel of the whole package. The way the music is chosen, the way highlights are edited together, the general build up to sporting events - unbeatable.

Why can't news learn from this. Yes news is a bit less predictable than sport, but there's not much difference.
BR
Brekkie
One thing that really does annoy me about the titles of BBC Sport programmes is how they all have the extra "whoosh" bit at the end as the logo forms, rather than having the logo form in the final part of the titles.

Anyone know what the deal is regarding widescreen for the Winter Olympics and Commonwealth Games. If the action is in 4:3, I hope the programme is as well (as was Athens 2004) - rather than being shown in a 16:9 frame, which is annoying for us folk with 4:3 TV's set up to watch widescreen content in widescreen!
KE
Kennedy6969
bbcsport posted:
Brekkie Boy posted:
I know your on about a different "score bar", but it really annoys me on Grandstand how they flash up the football results everytime someone scores - especially during the Rugby. They wouldn't flash up rugby results during football.

Nowadays most viewers have access to either Score Interactive or BBCi Text / Ceefax if they want the latest score!

They've destroyed Grandstand in general by splitting Saturday afternoon into three separate programmes.

Grandstand was at its best when it ran from 12.15pm right through until 5.20pm, included Football Focus and Final Score, and had one regular anchor (Bough, Lynam, Rider) who linked everything together. Nowadays, its a minimum of three presenters, and Grandstand itself only runs from 1.00pm to 4.30pm, with a different presenter every week depending on the content.

Score, however, is a great idea, and it absolutely should remove some of the need for latest score bars.

Well said BBC Sport. The beauty of the old Grandstand was keeping on top of several events simultaneously. It gave the programme a distinctive look and feel that the new version can't touch.
AP
Aphrodite007
I love the BBC Sport presentation, think it's very clever and love the different colour schemes, However like Brekkie Boy I hate what 'whoosh clunk' noise when the logo forms at the end of the credits. I think it'd look much nicer, especially for major sporting events to have the logo full screen instead of cramming it inside that box.

I agree that the BBC are streets ahead with their presentation though. I hated their look for the WC 2002, thought it was horrible! That gold colour wasn't great IMO.
GE
Gareth E
I agree, the gold colour didnt work on the ident for World Cup 2002.

Personally, I quite like the 'whoosh' at the end of each titles - it adds to the continuity. But 1. the 'whoosh' doesnt always match the feel of the music - e.g. the sombre-ish music they use for Racing from Aintree is spoilt by the whoosh, and 2. as I've said before it is too restricting, it would have been nice to see something a bit more distinctive for last years Olympics and other major events.

As for the Winter Olympics, I presume the host broadcaster is RAI, Italy, so it depends on them. Salt Lake City 2002 worked quite well - the host broadcaster provided 4:3 pictures, but the BBC broadcast in 16:9 and when they were showing actual sporting coverage the 'danger zone' had an animated graphics scheme. Looked brilliant.

But if RAI are not in 16:9, I cant see Turin being broadcast in full widescreen because, like Athens, the presenters will be based in Turin so there will be no presentation from London.

But overall I agree with Moz, compared to ITV and C4, and Sky Sports in most cases, BBC Sport presentation is in a different league!

EDIT: As for the Commonwealth Games, they're in Melbourne, and BBC Interactive are currently showing full 16:9 coverage of the Australian Open tennis. So if its the same host broadcaster, the Games should be in full 16:9. Yay!
MR
mromega
RAI aren't doing the host broadcasting for Torino.

A new organisation - TOBO - has been specially created to serve as host broadcaster of the Winter Olympics (www.tobo2006.org).

NBC in the US will again be broadcasting the Winter Olympics in High Def (on NBC Network & Universal HD)
GE
Gareth E
Thanks for that mromega! We'll have to wait and see then!

Jill Douglas presenting the World Indoor Bowls on BBC2 today. She's a real talent - and shes got a big day on Sunday week anchoring Six Nations Grandstand on BBC1.

Bowls coverage doesnt get a look in these days. A few years back it would get a full eight days of live coverage, for maybe 4 hours a day. Now its reduced to five days of 2hr broadcasts, plus the 'Extra' highlights after midnight. Shame, why dont they put it on interactive?
HA
harshy Founding member
Moz posted:
I'm glad someone has brought this up.

On the whole I think BBC Sport presentation is in a different league to all other presentation on TV - it's Chelsea to all the others!

I always find the graphics neat, like the way they animate and they're impressive without being over the top, like Sky's. The titles of the programmes are great and the sets are always top draw. Compare the Match of the Day and Focus sets - which are smallish but very tall and hence impressive - with the news sets. They're far far better.

But the best thing is just the overall professional feel of the whole package. The way the music is chosen, the way highlights are edited together, the general build up to sporting events - unbeatable.

Why can't news learn from this. Yes news is a bit less predictable than sport, but there's not much difference.

I like Sky's graphics to be honest, nice and whooshy, the BBC's are like blocks really.
GE
Gareth E
I always find Sky Sports graphics visually confusing and unclear . . . especially the teams graphic at live football matches. Sometimes seems to be too much going on on-screen. Just a personal opinion though, everyone to their own . . .
SA
saturdaymorning
I don't think the BBC have got the best titles.I think five sport is the best for titles and the premiership titles are good aswell.
AP
Aphrodite007
I think the five football titles are horrible! I remember when it used to be Football on 5, presented by Steve Scott and sponsored by Wilkinson Sword, they had some brilliant titles and theme music. Used to love those.

Not keen on the current five sport on screen graphics as well. It's just words writen on screen in lower case!
CM
CharlieMouse
A couple of things...

All coverage of the Winter Olympics (except the curling) will be 16:9. The host broadcaster (TOBO) is offering only 4:3 SD, or 16:9 HD, but the BBC is making use of the HD feeds, and downconverting to 16:9 SD.

Commonwealth Games will be 16:9.

And for those thinking that the BBC's Sport GFX need a bit of a refresh, stay tuned for the World Cup...

Newer posts