TV Home Forum

Happy 20th Birthday Channel Five

Launched on 30 March 1997, Channel Five turns 20 (March 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
The chase Daytime is also like this aswell, so it carries on.
SD
ShinyDave
I'd argue that Weakest Link actually made a feature out of that, by making it a part of the forbidding atmosphere. Adding the audience arguably pushed it into being a bit silly.

Only Connect is another show that's got neither a live studio audience nor the canned pretense of one.
MY
MY83
To address a few off-topic points:

Mock the Week is an evolution of Whose Line, as they are both Dan Patterson productions.

Wipeout with Bob Monkhouse had no audience, the only ones seen (and heard) being CGI, although his version debuted in 1998, a year after the launch of C5.

Another cheapy quiz was Move On Up, and of course the reboot of Going For Gold, One To Win

UK
ukpetey
I remember alot of people in my class talked about Red shoe dairy's ?? ...apart from Milkshake and...

Luckily the dairy was in full flow for Milkshake!
Hazimworks and cyberdude gave kudos
TL
toby lerone 2016
I was very young when Channel 5 launched but actually remember watching it in Northern Ireland and somehow a family member managed to get a good signal and picture. I remember watching a great deal of it as it was new particularly Fort Boyard, Night Fever, It's a Knockout, 100%, ad hoc Football matches from the UEFA Cup and International matches even later I used to watch the Wright Stuff, Brainteaser, Italian Football, Cricket on 5, Prison Break. To be honest I probably don't watch it now as much as I used to now it seems to be sport or films which is probably what most people watched on it in the early days.
CR
Critique
I always found the addition of an audience to the Weakest Link to be quite strange, as they were positioned behind the contestants, meaning they'd get a good view of Anne and the contestants on the other side of the horseshoe, but would just see the backs of the ones in front of them!
DV
dvboy
Same with A Question of Sport.
DE
deejay
I'm not sure Mock The Week is as improvised as it seems, though I'd happily be corrrcted. Just feels a bit staged to me.

The thing that drove me to distraction during 100% was that bloody jingle every time a question was being answered.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes, One to Win was a remake of Going For Gold and Whittle was a remake of Everybody's Equal

Channel 5 has lost it's uniqueness since it was bought by Viacom. No matter which owner it had or what logo or name it used there was always a certain style, especially the promotions. It just seems like any other channel now.
MA
Markymark
I don't think anyone has mentioned the karaoke show Night Fever yet?

That was I think an early moderate hit ?
WH
Whataday Founding member
It was actually considered their biggest hit in the early days.

HC
Hatton Cross
Yes, One to Win was a remake of Going For Gold and Whittle was a remake of Everybody's Equal

I thought One To Win was a remake of Bob's Full House?

Newer posts