TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HC
Hatton Cross
New F1 season. Points to note..
Sky Sports F1 still using the old style on screen captions. All upper case lettering. Must make this the only sport not to use the 'corporate' house style lower case astons.

Minor refresh for the FOM world feed graphics.
Slightly more silver and beveled effect in the F1 logo replay wipe.

Individual live lap sector progress 'squares' in the timing clock graphic, similar to how Dorna have been showing lap progress in MotoGP for years, have now turned up. Grey for no progress, green for best personal time, purple for best overall time.

One other amusing aspect with the new wider bodied cars for this season. The close up head-on shots make them look like it's a 4:3 picture stretched into a 16:9 aspect!
RD
rdd Founding member
Sky Sports F1 still using the old style on screen captions. All upper case lettering. Must make this the only sport not to use the 'corporate' house style lower case astons.

Although it's season is now over and won't be back till September, the NFL on Sky Sports was still using the uppercase graphics too this season gone.

Edit: As does boxing too.
Last edited by rdd on 26 March 2017 12:09pm
DV
dvboy
Don't know if this has been the case throughout but the ATP version of the replay wipe being used on the WTA coverage on BT Sport today.
DV
dvboy
...meanwhile, on WTA streaming:

FU
fusionlad Founding member

Minor refresh for the FOM world feed graphics.
Slightly more silver and beveled effect in the F1 logo replay wipe..

I was watching in UHD on Sky Q and didn't realise until I saw posts elsewhere, that the graphics on the UHD feed were slightly smaller than the HD/SD feed.
FU
HD:

UHD:
Last edited by fusionlad on 24 March 2017 5:21pm
HC
Hatton Cross
Thanks for the HD/UHD comparision screengrab.

You know, apart from the left hand tower (how I hope FOM use that for the race instead of that stupid full width bottom of the screen strap) being smaller, as you pointed out - the rest of the picture (even for allowing of compression of the Jpeg, and viewing it on PC monitor) in the UHD picture grab, looks in no way '4 times sharper and clearer than HD' as burbled in the Sky Q advertising. The HD/UHD grabs look identical.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I'm intrigued as to how this 4K spin is being produced. Surely they're not flying out to all races full 4K OB units are they? Is the infrastructure in place at the circuits to handle it?

I get the feeling that a lot of it will be upscaled HD presented on the UHD channel.

Anyone any evidence one way or the other?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The world feed for the practice sessions is apparently UHD as would be the qualifying and the main race but the rest of it (the links and the VT inserts and what not that Sky do) apparently isn't or won't be.

Oh and a poster on Avforums said the two practice sessions recorded in UHD takes up 75Gb of space on the Sky Q box. No wonder they come with 2Tb hard drives.
MR
mromega
Thanks for the HD/UHD comparision screengrab.

You know, apart from the left hand tower (how I hope FOM use that for the race instead of that stupid full width bottom of the screen strap) being smaller, as you pointed out - the rest of the picture (even for allowing of compression of the Jpeg, and viewing it on PC monitor) in the UHD picture grab, looks in no way '4 times sharper and clearer than HD' as burbled in the Sky Q advertising. The HD/UHD grabs look identical.

Because the image is from an onboard camera which is still upscaled HD.

All trackside wired cameras are UHD and you can easily see the difference. All the RF cameras are upscaled HD.
FU
I should have pointed out the 'screen grabs' were just pics taken of my TV on my smart phone, so it would be difficult to demonstrate the quality of the pictures broadcast.

The fixed camera picture quality was superb, and you can tell the onboard shots and even the helicopter shots were upscaled. I read somewhere this will be addressed next year.
RO
robertclark125
BDO darts makes a return to the TV today. It's the home internationals, and they're live on Frontrunner TV, Sky channel 468. This channel shows greyhound racing most evenings, and has recently picked up highlights of the Elite Ice Hockey league, and the TV show Mobil 1 the grid.

Newer posts