Mass Media & Technology

NOW TV

Now just er...NOW. (October 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Rex
It'll be interesting once they crack Red Button services whether they'll extend their offerings to include Red Button content on Sky Sports. Something that's sadly lacking.

Or a gateway to getting people to upgrade to Sky...through the ability to check on the red button.
NG
noggin Founding member
It'll be interesting once they crack Red Button services whether they'll extend their offerings to include Red Button content on Sky Sports. Something that's sadly lacking.

I doubt it - I don't think OTT services + Red Button is a 'thing' is it? If the OTT stuff was DVB over IP that would make sense - but I don't think it is.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Agree with your comment, but engineering a 'faux' OTT+Red Button operation would be easy to understand by the 'average' user and would get content currently blocked to NOW TV users made available without the need for extra fulltime services.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Only just noticed that you can access the Live TV streams from the NOW TV Smart Box TV Guide direct now, rather than taking you to the app's channel guide.

Edit: Happened in November apparently.
Last edited by London Lite on 11 January 2017 12:08am

9 days later

RE
Rex
NOW TV are beginning to trial subtitles - those who've signed up for the red button trial are ineligible (including me).

The red button trial has already started for those who've signed up.
LL
NOW TV are beginning to trial subtitles - those who've signed up for the red button trial are ineligible (including me).

I take it you mean subs for the IPTV channels and VoD rather than the Freeview channels which are already subtitle enabled on the Smart Box?
RE
Rex

I take it you mean subs for the IPTV channels and VoD rather than the Freeview channels which are already subtitle enabled on the Smart Box?

NOW TV channels. The Freeview channels already have subtitles built in.
RE
Rex
So far - from what I've tried, the Red Button trial has given way to allow BBC Red Button to work on the Smart Box.

62 days later

LL
For the first time, I've got a decent retention deal from NOW TV. £3.99pm until August for Sky Cinema.
LL
Reading on the NOW TV community forum, the 2nd gen Black streaming boxes have been converted to 50Hz. This was done during the same update to disable the developer mode to stop piracy on the devices.
NG
noggin Founding member
Reading on the NOW TV community forum, the 2nd gen Black streaming boxes have been converted to 50Hz. This was done during the same update to disable the developer mode to stop piracy on the devices.

Seriously? Were they showing Freeview 50Hz stuff at 60Hz before this?!
LL

Seriously? Were they showing Freeview 50Hz stuff at 60Hz before this?!

No that's the Smart Box. I meant the 2nd gen NOW TV Box which has been updated to render at 50Hz.

Newer posts