TV Home Forum

BBC One HD still can't broadcast regional news in England.

In 2017! Very Disappointing. (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
I realize the BBC is likely waiting for the next DSO before launching local HD feed but will they drag their feet even further by holding off on the HD feeds until all their regions are compatible?

What gives you that idea? BBC One HD is already on a 2nd gen mux on Freeview, the issue isn't in spectrum availability, it is in the cost of implementing an HD opt-chain for every English region (either using the current network distribution and back-haul, or by moving to a playout-centric system using contribution circuit)

The BBC has to decide the future model for regional content on BBC One HD and how it is implemented.

With a potential move to upgrade the SD English regions to HD this MAY have an impact in that decision, which is presumably why they aren't rushing. (The other reason is that politically it is very difficult to justify spending millions of pounds to upgrade the BBC One HD chain to carry SD upconverted content...)

If the HD upgrades also include a move to remote IP production, then this may have a very real steering impact on the decision taken in how to implement the opt-chains. (If all of your vision mixer crates, playout servers, graphics boxes, sound desk engines etc. are all co-sited in a small number of macro-regional data centres, with just I/O and control surfaces in the regional centres, then you can chose a different model compared to having to engineer a solution with 15 separate regional installs)

You also have to look at how you roll it out - with some 'edge' cases - like Jersey, Oxford etc. and the existing HD regions (London, Salford, Plymouth)

It may not happen before the DVB-T switch-off - but they aren't linked.

Quote:

I realize you guys have mentioned that if the BBC simulcast the London news on the HD channel viewers likely wouldn't change to their correct region.

It's not just that - it's the BBC making a statement that London News is more important than other regions by being available in HD when the others aren't. It's less a case of people watching London instead, more a case of sending a message that London is more important than where you may live.

Quote:

Why is then that ITV feels like they can get away with their larger HD regions vs the local SD ones but the BBC can't do the same? Surely ITV has a lot at stake if an advertiser buys a spot for a proper region but most viewers won't see it if they're in HD.

ITV's decision has NOTHING to do with regional news. It's all about advertising. They have to at least provide a degree of regionality on ITV HD to ensure the large audience that is now watching it see an advert at least partialy targetted at where they live. If they only put one HD region up, the audience for adverts on that channel would skew massively compared to the SD regional variations that fewer and fewer people are watching. This would be very bad news for ITV's revenue.
RK
Rkolsen
I realize the BBC is likely waiting for the next DSO before launching local HD feed but will they drag their feet even further by holding off on the HD feeds until all their regions are compatible?

What gives you that idea? BBC One HD is already on a 2nd gen mux on Freeview, the issue isn't in spectrum availability, it is in the cost of implementing an HD opt-chain for every English region (either using the current network distribution and back-haul, or by moving to a playout-centric system using contribution circuit).

Thank you for correcting me. I was under the impression that the HD mux was still operating at DVB and not DVB-T2
SP
Steve in Pudsey
(The other reason is that politically it is very difficult to justify spending millions of pounds to upgrade the BBC One HD chain to carry SD upconverted content...)

I guess the question is whether the introduction of HD and how opt outs are handled has had any appreciable impact on viewership of the regional programmes. Are people who previously would have stayed after the national news to watch the regional programme switching over to something or staying with the holding slide rather than going to the SD channel? And was there any recovery in the figures in the nations when their version of BBC One HD launched?

I wonder if this might end up being a two step process, get the HD opt chains in, in order to facilitate the EPG swap on satellite, then worry about HD upgrades in the regional centres as decisions/budgets/equipment replacement cycles allow.
MA
Markymark
(The other reason is that politically it is very difficult to justify spending millions of pounds to upgrade the BBC One HD chain to carry SD upconverted content...)

I guess the question is whether the introduction of HD and how opt outs are handled has had any appreciable impact on viewership of the regional programmes. Are people who previously would have stayed after the national news to watch the regional programme switching over to something or staying with the holding slide rather than going to the SD channel? And was there any recovery in the figures in the nations when their version of BBC One HD launched?

I suspect that regional viewing figures are not affected, but I bet thousands of HD TV sets get left on BBC 1 SD from 18:57 hrs onwards

56 days later

SQ
SuzyQ
It's a bit disappointing that in 2017, BBC One can't broadcast regional programming (in England) in HD.

The situation's been the same since its launch in 2010. I hope it changes sometime this year.

Hugely disappointing. I cannot get a decent signal on BBC1 and I cannot see the local news on HD either.
ITV (Meridian) always seems to show news from the Kent area that is irrelevant to me in Bournemouth Sad
AE
AlexEdohHD13
SuzyQ posted:
It's a bit disappointing that in 2017, BBC One can't broadcast regional programming (in England) in HD.

The situation's been the same since its launch in 2010. I hope it changes sometime this year.

Hugely disappointing. I cannot get a decent signal on BBC1 and I cannot see the local news on HD either.
ITV (Meridian) always seems to show news from the Kent area that is irrelevant to me in Bournemouth Sad

Do you mean SD BBC One or BBC One HD?
RE
Rex
SuzyQ posted:

Of course with BBC ONE HD - the local news isn't being broadcast, but with the SD version they're unable to receive it due to poor signal on PSB1.
AE
AlexEdohHD13
SuzyQ posted:

Of course with BBC ONE HD - the local news isn't being broadcast, but with the SD version they're unable to receive it due to poor signal on PSB1.

I'm able to get SD BBC One. It's perfectly fine. (I live in London). I also get BBC One HD in perfect condition.
MA
Markymark
SuzyQ posted:

PSB 1 (home of BBC SD channels and radio) is just as 'receivable' as PSB 3 (where BBC 1,2, ITV, 4 and 5 HD versions live)
In Bournemouth, reception of the Rowridge (Isle of Wight) transmitter is pretty good. You can see it from the beach and cliff tops easily)

I'd suggest a problem with Suzy Q's aerial system

(Not that that will solve the fact that currently BBC 1 HD in England carries no local stuff, and that ITV HD from Rowridge carries the Kent version of Meridian)
WL
W1LL
Very rare to see the BBC airing an apology in prime time. Just happened a couple of minutes with a statement by the BBC Trust being read by the CA regarding an episode of Watchdog that aired in 2015 which made false claims about Pets at Home.
AE
AlexEdohHD13

PSB 1 (home of BBC SD channels and radio) is just as 'receivable' as PSB 3 (where BBC 1,2, ITV, 4 and 5 HD versions live)
In Bournemouth, reception of the Rowridge (Isle of Wight) transmitter is pretty good. You can see it from the beach and cliff tops easily)

I'd suggest a problem with Suzy Q's aerial system

(Not that that will solve the fact that currently BBC 1 HD in England carries no local stuff, and that ITV HD from Rowridge carries the Kent version of Meridian)

Yeah, it's probably that.
MA
Markymark
Very rare to see the BBC airing an apology in prime time. Just happened a couple of minutes with a statement by the BBC Trust being read by the CA regarding an episode of Watchdog that aired in 2015 which made false claims about Pets at Home.

Were Pets at Home selling HD TVs ?
ukpetey, Rkolsen and Lou Scannon gave kudos

Newer posts