The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Now is Sky really forefeiting a half hours worth of ad inventory or is it just placed somewhere else?

They can only show 12 minutes of ads in any one hour, and an average of 9 minutes an hour across the day - so they can afford to sacrifice ads in some slots. Sky News at 10 can be ad free but they'll still be 3 breaks in the 10pm hour which on a digital channel can fulfil the maximum of 12 minutes - I think they can show 4m10s of ads in eacch break, though I don't think Sky News take overly long breaks.
SK
Skygeek
Now is Sky really forefeiting a half hours worth of ad inventory or is it just placed somewhere else?

They can only show 12 minutes of ads in any one hour, and an average of 9 minutes an hour across the day - so they can afford to sacrifice ads in some slots. Sky News at 10 can be ad free but they'll still be 3 breaks in the 10pm hour which on a digital channel can fulfil the maximum of 12 minutes - I think they can show 4m10s of ads in eacch break, though I don't think Sky News take overly long breaks.

Correct - sort of. There ARE three breaks in the 10pm hour - one before the papers at 10:30, one during, and one leading up to the TOTH at 11pm. That's still one break fewer in the 10pm hour and four breaks in every hour except 10pm.

Now, can I say for certain that there aren't some breaks that are 30 seconds longer than others at some point in the day? No - frankly because I have more important things to think about both as a viewer and as someone who might have to get something on-air right after a break.

The bottom line is it's a break forfeited in primetime when rates would be high, and it's a conscious commercial decision to do so. I've told you (within reason) what I know, so at this point, there's no reason to split hairs any further
MA
mapperuo
They happily drop adverts during breaking news when viewer numbers would be high as well. I wouldn't think too much into it by the fact their doing it during the 10 too.
WO
Worzel
They happily drop adverts during breaking news when viewer numbers would be high as well. I wouldn't think too much into it by the fact their doing it during the 10 too.

I think its more to do with doing the appropriate thing and not sticking adverts on during a mass shooting/terror attack than just due to viewer numbers. Remember when 9/11 happened Sky News didn't take any advertising for several days and during 7/7 advertising spots were suspended for 24 hours.

Certainly during full Obit mode radio stations are required to suspend any advertising breaks during that period (that's an Ofcom rule). I'm sure TV channels are required to do the same thing but am happy to be corrected.
SK
Skygeek

I think its more to do with doing the appropriate thing and sticking adverts on during a mass shooting/terror attack than just due to viewer numbers. Remember when 9/11 happened Sky News didn't take any advertising for several days and during 7/7 advertising spots were suspended for 24 hours.

Precisely. There are maybe 50-75 times a year when ads have to be biffed for open-ended breaking news... This is 365 ad breaks per year guaranteed. I can assure you it's a well-considered decision.
BR
Brekkie
I think like with ITV elections are largely, if not completely, ad free too.

Back to presentation and one thing I will say is despite it being completely unoriginal Sky News at 10 is lifted by having a look that isn't just a logo on a background and I do think TV in general needs to remember their main shop window is still the TV screen, not their profile pics. The intro gives it added authority, something which is perhaps lacking in the usual sequence, and I think building a short intro back into every hour would just help lift the image of the channel in the wake of the loss of some key personnel.
MA
Markymark
I think like with ITV elections are largely, if not completely, ad free too.

They always have been . Also was the case with any royal event. I don't think the latter is the case now, I think it was an IBA stipulation ?
Any ad free coverage on ITV today will be to prevent channel hopping (and/or in the case of tragedy; taste and decency of course)
NT
NewbieTvFan
Do the correspondents in other countries like Katie stallard and mark stone get to go home (back to U.K.) very often? They always seem to be in their country work base all the time. Or are they out there all year round?
SK
Skygeek
Do the correspondents in other countries like Katie stallard and mark stone get to go home (back to U.K.) very often? They always seem to be in their country work base all the time. Or are they out there all year round?

You'll understand that I can't talk about specific people out of respect for their privacy, but it depends on the correspondent and their personal circumstances, and often, their bureau's proximity to London.
Last edited by Skygeek on 19 March 2017 11:37am
TV
TV Dan
[[Mod edit to removed first sentence relating to another user.]]
I wonder if the average viewer has even cottoned on, apart from the change in studio, to the changes on News at 10. It's easy for half an hour to fly by without realising it has been commercial free and in reality, it's usually just a recycle of the 9pm hour with the addition of the odd studio guest.
Last edited by TV Dan on 19 March 2017 10:25pm
LL
London Lite Founding member
[[Mod edit to removed first sentence relating to another user.]] I wonder if the average viewer has even cottoned on, apart from the change in studio, to the changes on News at 10. It's easy for half an hour to fly by without realising it has been commercial free and in reality, it's usually just a recycle of the 9pm hour with the addition of the odd studio guest.

Considering the Ten is an appointment to view bulletin and the channel is largely a background viewing experience, I doubt it.
II
IrelandIsle
My error - apologies.
Last edited by IrelandIsle on 20 March 2017 7:02pm

Newer posts