The Newsroom

The New ITV & BBC Weather Thread

BBC Thunderbolts - Are they Red, White or Blue... or yellow? (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JE
Jez Founding member
From looking at the ITV news website, I'm guessing there are 3 weather hubs on a weekend covering all regions

Emma Jesson did Granada, Yorkshire x 2, Tyne Tees and Border

Helen Plint did Central x 2 and Wales

Philippa Drew did Meridian x 2 and Westcountry x 2

Where does Anglia, London and Channel fit in with this, there are no videos on their sites, and which regions are the 'hubs' based in (Emma Jesson will be at Granada)

Anglia and London are in the Central and Wales hub. They usually get Helen , James Wright or Amanda Houston doing the weekend weather.

Granada etc get Emma Jesson and Kerrie Gosney but on occasions Emma has done the Wales etc weekend hub

One weekend I noticed they swapped it over and London and Anglia had the same presenter as Meridian (Philipa Drew I think) whilst Wales, Westcountry and Central had Kate Haskell. Whether this was because none of the Wales/Central/London/Anglia hub presenters were available and as Kate does Westcountry sometimes it made sense for her to do Westcountry with Wales and Central?
MO
Mouseboy33
I see the UK media likes a live report featuring a water-logged reporter as well...
http://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2017/02/23/6543506578729909646/636x382_MP4_6543506578729909646.mp4
DailyMail
MA
Markymark
I see the UK media likes a live report featuring a water-logged reporter as well...
http://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2017/02/23/6543506578729909646/636x382_MP4_6543506578729909646.mp4
DailyMail

Yes. Seems to be something (else) we've inherited from your side of the pond
JE
Jez Founding member
In the meantime Lucy Verasamy is presenting ITV Anglia Weather forecasts

Is there a regular presenter for ITV Anglia whilst Amanda is away or are they using anyone from whichever other region is available.

At weekend I think the Wales/London/Anglia etc hub is based in London where they do the National/London forcasts, The North hub is based in Salford (Granada) and the Meridian/Westcountry hub based in Southampton (Meridian)
WL
W1LL
Jez posted:

Is there a regular presenter for ITV Anglia whilst Amanda is away or are they using anyone from whichever other region is available.

At weekend I think the Wales/London/Anglia etc hub is based in London where they do the National/London forcasts, The North hub is based in Salford (Granada) and the Meridian/Westcountry hub based in Southampton (Meridian)

Correct me if I'm wrong but, other than the hubs, I don't think any other ITV Region has more than one weather presenter anymore. When the main presenters away they generally just used a forecaster based at one of the hubs.

EDIT: Misread the post, didn't realise Amanda was on long-term leave.
Last edited by W1LL on 25 February 2017 5:54pm
CR
Critique
ITV Anglia have just had a change of weather presenters, I believe! If I remember correctly the regular weather presenter was called Alice until a few weeks ago, someone else who I don't remember the name of has been presenting since then.

EDIT: In fact, Googling the old presenter it would appear they are still with ITV Anglia, which would suggest that regions can have more than one weather presenter?
JE
Jez Founding member
Jez posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but, other than the hubs, I don't think any other ITV Region has more than one weather presenter anymore. When the main presenters away they generally just used a forecaster based at one of the hubs.

EDIT: Misread the post, didn't realise Amanda was on long-term leave.

Wales have 2 presenters at the moment - Ruth Wignall and Kelsey Redmore, although Kelsey has only started presenting the weather very recently. Neither of them are involved in the weekend hubs so we still get James, Helen etc at the weekends and sometimes during the week.

I think Granada has Jo and Kerrie although you could argue Kerrie is shared between the other North regions. West have Bob, Alex and Kate although Alex is more often than not doing the National weather or covering on GMB whilst Kate I think is freelance.

Id forgotten about Alice doing Anglia weather. Think she turned up on ITV Wales for 2 or 3 days not so long ago as cover. Aidan also used to cover fairly regularly including the weekend hub on a few occasions.

16 days later

WA
watchingtv
Amanda Houston is taking a sabbatical from ITV Weather this week until March. It will be interesting to see either a new face taking on the role permanently or just various faces ( for ITV Anglia). This is on the back of Aidens departure for Met Office in December.

And Amanda returns!
BR
Brekkie
Do many regions use the weather presenter for anything other than the weather (i.e. features or relief presenting).
DB
dbl
I've seen Martin Stew present some late bulletins in ITV News London, but it's not frequent.
JE
Jez Founding member
Ruth Wignal and Kelsey Redmore at ITV Wales both do other things. Ruth presents some local shows and does some features on the news. Used to be one of the main relief presenters when Wales at 6 had 2 presenters and when Andrea took her 12 month break but not seen her present the news since then. Kelsey is a reporter and presents the weather occasionally at the moment.

Amanda Houston did the weather for Wales today due to Ruth presenting a live local show this evening on ITV Wales.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think Simon Parkin does features on weather related stuff.

Has he ever covered Granada? Ideally while Andy Crane was newsreading, (and during This Morning with Phillip if that regional bulletin still exists)

Newer posts