TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Reports

Sky giving up on British Speedway, BT riding in to the rescue.
GE
thegeek Founding member

RO
robertclark125
One has to wonder if Sky sports can still justify five normal sports channels, a dedicated F1 channel, and a FTA sports channel showing selected events.
DV
DVB Cornwall
It is astonishing, their channels are either all chock-a-block or all devoid of content. BT Sport really have worked out how to fill 'dead space' too. Sky could re-run La Liga matches in the week, as BT does with French, German and Italian offerings, they dont.

We'll see soon enough, if there are any more major failures to get rights. Sky's major Cricket property must be in the firing line now, even if it wasn't before, or at least parts of it. The ECB would be mad to offer one package only in future.
RO
robertclark125
I may have misread it, but I'm sure, in regards to cricket, the ECB were planning to offer packages, and there was a possibility of live coverage on FTA channels. One other thing with regards to cricket, the packages would be tempting for dedicated sports channels , to fill up gaps in the summer schedule.

Sky still has the possibility of European rugby, on an exclusive basis, but again, that depends on what is offered by the governing body in terms of packages to the UK market. You have to wonder if Sky are planning to dump anything else; one that springs to mind, for me, is the showjumping at Hickstead. Somehow, it just doesn't seem to fit on Sky, and I can't help wondering if that will go next.
RO
robertclark125
Technical problems affecting Sky Sports today, concerning the Top 14 rugby coverage. I suspect these could be outwith their control. The Pau v Castres match has started, but due to problems on site in France, Sky cannot, yet receive any pictures.

Sky are showing some archived Rugby Union coverage until they can get pictures. Before the start of the next bit of archive, or filler material, they put up a photo of a ground, and a ticker caption explaining why they had no coverage yet. As I write, they've got England v New Zealand highlights from 2014 on in a 15 minute slot, though, understandably, the EPG has not been updated.

EDIT: Coverage started at 12:25, one hour after it was scheduled to start. Crashed out of an edition of "Sporting Rivals" and then black screen before going into the opening titles. No coverage of the first half, so just live coverage of the second half.
Last edited by robertclark125 on 12 March 2017 12:29pm
BR
Brekkie
Chelsea v Tottenham and Arsenal v Man City for the semi-finals. Will the BBC go for the top of the table clash or might they opt for the two teams they've not shown this round - two teams for whom it is arguable an FA Cup win is actually more important.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The ATP's Global Streaming partner Tennis TV is offering some content from the ATP1000 Indian Wells championship, currently doubles only, live streamed globally on Facebook ....

DV
DVB Cornwall
Sky's exclusive rights to the EFL has been questioned in TV Sports Markets this morning.

I'm wondering whether the League One and League Two clubs would be better served with a separate deal. It seems ironic that the fifth tier gets more coverage than the third and fourth currently. I still believe Sky will end up renewing, as is, though.
TL
toby lerone 2016
Rights News:

BBC retain existing rights to the Masters Golf, highlights of Days 1 & 2 and Live coverage of Days 3 & 4 meaning the only 2 days of live Golf on Free to Air TV remain.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/39265633
SW
Steve Williams
I'm wondering whether the League One and League Two clubs would be better served with a separate deal. It seems ironic that the fifth tier gets more coverage than the third and fourth currently. I still believe Sky will end up renewing, as is, though.

This is more to do with there being too many games from the Conference being on TV, rather than not enough from Leagues One and Two, I think. You could show more League One and Two matches, but where do you schedule them? With four Premier League matches and at least one Championship match over the course of the weekend, you'll end up having to show matches simultaneously, which is a waste of time.

The best thing the Football League can do now is something like the 2009-12 deal when there were ten live Championship matches and the League Cup semis and final live on FTA TV, the perfect sized deal for a terrestrial channel to bid for. It was the best exposure the Football League has ever had on television in the modern era, and they were mad to give it up for the lot on Sky.
HC
Hatton Cross
Sigh. Since Mel Morris has hired a new manager for Derby County, I guess he has nothing to fill his days up with anymore - so back to the default moans at the Sky deal.

When is he going to learn that the deal with Sky is about the best the EFL are really going to get. By constantly moaning about it, you will not spark a multi-billion pound bidding war with BT Sport and any other broadcasters he thinks will be interested in the second to forth tiers of English football.

Newer posts