TV Home Forum

BT Sport - Launch of BT Sport Ultimate

Dolby Atmos to be introduced 28-Nov-2020 (June 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
BT renew rights for three more years to the UEFA CL and EL BUT include Social Media highlights. ITV lose highlights.
Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 6 March 2017 8:09am
RD
rdd Founding member
Interesting that for all the media talk of UEFA wanting an FTA partner, what has actually happened is that the UEFA club competitions lose the last bit of FTA coverage there was. Note no mention of Showcase in the announcement.
GE
thegeek Founding member
rdd posted:
Interesting that for all the media talk of UEFA wanting an FTA partner, what has actually happened is that the UEFA club competitions lose the last bit of FTA coverage there was. Note no mention of Showcase in the announcement.

It sounds like they're going to be pushing social media far more than any potential FTA sublicensing deal. Expect live(ish) goal clips, and the on-the-night highlights programme, and the finals streamed free.
HC
Hatton Cross
'Competitive auction process'

All one way traffic, and not at all transparent, though.

We all know BT won, but I'd like to know who threw their hat in to the ring - and what they were offering to pay UEFA
DV
DVB Cornwall
You won't find that out for commercial reasons. It's clearly sensitive information that all parties, Rights owners, Winners and indeed Losers would never want released to the media. Doing so would further explode the value of broadcasting rights globally.
BR
Brekkie
Well with no FTA highlights it might as well be sponsored by Worthingtons. Really don't think the double headers is a great move either.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Some suggestions in the media today that this deal might compromise any BT expansion of Premier League rights for 2019-22 when they are tendered next January. Sky likely to retain their UEFA bid monies to block this. It certainly means a re-rating of BT's capacity for additional rights when they arise.

Key rights due are

ATP 250/500/1000/Finals - Tennis
European Rugby (alleged that ER want a single partner this time around)
Scottish Football.
MY
MY83
I feel sorry for football fans and pub landlords.
BR
Brekkie
What OFCOM really need to tackle now is how Sky and BT are funding these deals. It is one thing BT using funds raised through broadband sales when BT Sport is free with it but now they'll be charging for it I really do think it is subscribers who should pick up the bill.
RD
rdd Founding member

European Rugby (alleged that ER want a single partner this time around).

It's what EPCR themselves told the media, at least in Ireland. Or at least that they only want one pay-TV partner.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/european-champions-cup-set-to-return-to-irish-terrestrial-tv-1.2818440

The split deal was wanted by no-one, not ERC (as was), not the unions, not the leagues, not the TV companies. It was the unsatisfactory compromise to resolve when two different organisations went and sold the TV rights to the same tournament to two different companies.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Oscar Lago, the director of the Barca - PSG match last night videoed directing that late late decisive goal and it's aftermath

[Mod edit: Embedded tweet removed, was causing things to go bang]

https://twitter.com/MateoSanchezTV/status/839796385000144896
DV
dvboy
Over-run of live squash on BT Sport 1 has pushed WTA tennis to BT Sport Extra / red button, first time I have seen them use a banner to direct viewers since I became a subscriber back in January.

Newer posts