The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

Justin Leigh to leave the BBC (January 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TO
Towielad
Axed sky news presenter Mark Longhurst replaces Ian.

Mark Longhurst no stranger to local news with his stint before Sky on Thames News
LV
LondonViewer
What a great appointment. I think he'll suit regional news really well.
BE
Ben Founding member
Axed sky news presenter Mark Longhurst replaces Ian.

Mark Longhurst no stranger to local news with his stint before Sky on Thames News

Not to forget his stint on South Today too.
DS
DarthSidious
Shame Liza is not still there, two ex Sky staff working together Smile

Back in the day when even the weekend anchors were top notch at Sky.
:-(
A former member
Wonder if he'll end up in the pool for the national news at weekend?
BS
Ben Shatliff

No reason why not. Would be good to see him on ITV News.
ST
South Today
I didn't see that one coming! I thought the days of high profile signings to regional news had long gone.
BS
Ben Shatliff
When does Mark start.
LS
Lou Scannon
I didn't see that one coming! I thought the days of high profile signings to regional news had long gone.

Shocked

Just had to Google the name Mark Longhurst. Never heard of him before, and don't recognise his face either.

If he's been mainly a Sky News person for a long time, that'd be why. The total amount of Sky News I've seen in my entire life would probably be about 10 minutes at best (comprised of many fleeting moments whilst channel hopping)!

If he has never been a West and/or South West regional news presenter before, then people who've always lived in this region (and don't watch Sky News) would be as unfamiliar with him as I am. Hardly "high profile", then!

I'm sure he'll be a perfectly good presenter, but I'll always be a little sad at the loss of Ian Axton's on-screen presence.

I was hoping that Jonty Messer might become the new primary male anchor. I of course have no idea whether he and/or Bob Cruwys had any interest in even applying for the role. They may well both be happy with their current roles, and were only ever going to fill-in during the recruitment process.
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 4 March 2017 9:00pm
BR
Brekkie

I suspect however ITV Westcountry has the bigger audience.
GM
Gary McEwan

No reason why not. Would be good to see him on ITV News.

Well seeing as Kylie is nowadays the Saturday presenter, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mark was to appear at some point.
BA
bilky asko

Shocked

Just had to Google the name Mark Longhurst. Never heard of him before, and don't recognise his face either.

If he's been mainly a Sky News person for a long time, that'd be why. The total amount of Sky News I've seen in my entire life would probably be about 10 minutes at best (comprised of many fleeting moments whilst channel hopping)!

If he has never been a West and/or South West regional news presenter before, then people who've always lived in this region (and don't watch Sky News) would be as unfamiliar with him as I am. Hardly "high profile", then!

I'm sure he'll be a perfectly good presenter, but I'll always be a little sad at the loss of Ian Axton's on-screen presence.

I was hoping that Jonty Messer might become the new primary male anchor. I of course have no idea whether he and/or Bob Cruwys had any interest in even applying for the role. They may well both be happy with their current roles, and were only ever going to fill-in during the recruitment process.

He's the one that Owen Jones walked out on, because Owen Jones is an attention seeking excuse for a political commentator.
Last edited by bilky asko on 4 March 2017 11:09pm

Newer posts