TV Home Forum

BBC FOUR HD DOG?

The "HD" part is missing from the DOG. (February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BK
bkman1990
I'm watching BBC Four HD at the moment. When I see the programmes on it now; I see that the HD part of the DOG is missing on the screen. It looks strange when I saw it there.

Is this because of an standardized update to the DOG? Could it be that they put the wrong one on screen?

The "BBC FOUR" DOG bit was there when I watched an 1983 repeat of Top of the Pops a few minutes ago.

The HD part of it remains a mystery.

The show was broadcast in 4"3 with the black bars on the left & hand right side.
DB
dbl
I remember reading on here that there's been a technical change with playout recently. (I believe HD is now the 'main' feed and SD is downconverted from HD)

Which may explain why they've dropped the HD from the bug.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Four, CBBC and CBeebies now downconvert to 576i on their SD outlets. BBC One and Two have been doing this for some time.
RE
Rex
Four, CBBC and CBeebies now downconvert to 576i on their SD outlets. BBC One and Two have been doing this for some time.

CBBC and CBeebies haven't had the HD bug for some time now.

Which begs the question...
BBC THREE's refresh last year before being moved online lacked an HD bug on the DOG. Was it also down converted to SD (like with FOUR, CBBC, CBeebies), or was it two versions of the channel?
GA
Gallunach
dbl posted:
I remember reading on here that there's been a technical change with playout recently. (I believe HD is now the 'main' feed and SD is downconverted from HD)

That would also explain why on occasion over the last two weeks that BBC4 SD has had a BBC4 HD bug .
BK
bkman1990
dbl posted:

Well that clears it up nicely. Thanks for the info.

What was the feed resolution on BBC Four SD before it received downconverted HD.
DB
dbl
Last time I check it was full resolution (DSat & Freeview) so either 720/704x576
RE
Rex
dbl posted:
Last time I check it was full resolution (DSat & Freeview) so either 720/704x576

Looking at Digital Bitrate - resolution is 704x576 across BBC SD channels on Freeview, 720x576 for Sky/Freesat/Virgin.
Last edited by Rex on 9 February 2017 11:30pm
NG
noggin Founding member
dbl posted:

Looking at Digital Bitrate - resolution is 704x576 across BBC SD channels on Freeview, 720x576 for Sky/Freesat/Virgin.

And now, in theory, that the channel is sourced entirely from HD - 704x576 is all you should need, as 1920x1080 will be downscaled to 702x576, leaving nothing to go in the 8 additional samples each side in a 720x576 frame vs a 704x756 one? (*)

(*) Apart - possibly - from an edge case with 4:3 content.
RO
Rofters
I'm watching BBC Four HD at the moment. When I see the programmes on it now; I see that the HD part of the DOG is missing on the screen. It looks strange when I saw it there.

Is this because of an standardized update to the DOG? Could it be that they put the wrong one on screen?

The "BBC FOUR" DOG bit was there when I watched an 1983 repeat of Top of the Pops a few minutes ago.

The HD part of it remains a mystery.

The show was broadcast in 4"3 with the black bars on the left & hand right side.

Although, when I was watching BBC FOUR the other day on HD, the DOG had completely disappeared.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
What were you watching without the BBC Four DOG? Some programmes on the channel deliberately go out DOGless, mostly films and the odd music performance - opera for example.

BBC Three occasionally used to go out DOGless as well, though more often by luck/accident than design, disregarding the fact it got bigger and more intrusive with every revamp the channel had...

20 days later

RW
Robert Williams Founding member
I noticed yesterday BBC Four have changed their DOG again. It is now smaller and fainter than before - it may be how the HD DOG was, but without the HD tag, though as I'm don't receive BBC Four HD, I can't say for sure. Now it's so small and faint, I really can't understand why they still don't have the confidence just to drop it altogether?

Newer posts