« Topics
Newsroom247 posts since 28 Jan 2017 new member
Westcountry Points West
As for the Press Preview, it just feels so formal now and less natural. The big screen in the new studio is not as good for these segments in comparison to the old screen and a sofa and a more relaxed set-up would be much better suited to such debate, the old set-up was so much much better for it.

I've always felt that one of the main strengths of the Press Preview was it's relaxed feel, so I agree that it's a shame to see that it is now presented from a desk. That said, if Sky News are going to present 'News at 10' from the 'Glass Box' (which it suits much better), there really is no way to present it is old form unless there is a more suitable studio for relaxed programmes in Sky Central. If there was, it might also be more suited to where Sunrise is presented from as I don't really feel that it is really suited to the 'Glass Box' either.

Quote:
I would assume the Glass Box is only the temporary home for the Press Preview until the other new studio is ready.

Ironically Andrew Pierce mentioned the studio tonight, with Anna saying its the 4th 'studio' they've used together. I suspect she meant set. That will be 5 come the summer then.

I think lowering the desk to coffee table height might help to ease off the overly formal look to the PP though.

The lowering of the desk would definitely help in the short term.
scottishtv gave kudos
scottishtv1,507 posts since 6 Nov 2001
STV Central Reporting Scotland
It’s always difficult to know what to expect when a new programme launches but I was pleasantly surprised by Sky News at 10 tonight.

Overall though, I felt that it was good and is a positive edition to the schedule

I don't watch a lot of Sky News, but I thought this was a well put together programme, and felt nice not to get interrupted with ads and sport from someone else, somewhere else. Nice simple intro sequence, and I thought the usual theme went with it okay. I was a bit worried about Anna being left alone - she did look a bit lonely at the start!

Newsroom24 gave kudos
London Lite6,934 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
Have to agree that the PP has lost it's relaxed feel tonight, although was saved by the chemistry between the three of them.

With the desk, it now feels as formal as The Papers.
Newsroom24 and Ratflump gave kudos
Skygeek654 posts since 5 Feb 2014
London London
Candidly, the bongs were a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation. In the end, it was decided it would be wiser not to.

It'll be a continually-developing thing, so expect to see any imperfections addressed in time.
I sometimes speak ABOUT my employer, although not FOR them.
Newsroom24, London Lite and 2 others
  • Ratflump
  • scottishtv
gave kudos
STV Today1,245 posts since 20 Mar 2005
STV North Reporting Scotland
The only criticisms I have are re angles and switches between the left side to front of main screen for Anna B must be a pain for her. The shot with either Alex Crawford was not the best, yet the shot with Anna and Ed Conway seemed okay. If they want to give it a different feel to the other shows then at the very least give a different presentational angle such as diagonal from the screen with Anna being on either the left or right and paper reviewers and guests on the other side? The graphics were modest yet I get the sense, like the cracking presenter, this bulletin is not showy but sunstancey. I will watch due to content. All reports were good and relevant. Whether I see someone's legs or not has no impact on how they review the papers in my view. Well done Anna B and co ✅
mdtauk5,896 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
Candidly, the bongs were a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation. In the end, it was decided it would be wiser not to.

It'll be a continually-developing thing, so expect to see any imperfections addressed in time.

Personally the show would benefit from it's own music and presentation. Perhaps reports being signed off as "Sophy Ridge, Westminster, for Sky News at Ten"

I don't really watch much continuing news unless there is a major event, and generally watch Newsnight for my daily news, so I'm probably not the right audience for the show.