TV Home Forum

SM:TV Live to return for one off special?

To mark 20th anniversary of its launch (February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
It's a shame nobody can risk approaching a proper Saturday morning show in the same way again. Unless somebody's going to put me in my place by telling me that the numbers actually didn't justify a show like this anymore.

Presumably it has something to do with the ban on advertising junk food that was introduced. A Saturday morning ITV show used to be packed with adverts for cereal, chocolate bars and crisps with more toys leading up to Christmas. Maybe the revenue isn't sufficient for ITV.
JA
james-2001
Quite possibly, within a matter of months of that ban coming in, not only had the Saturday morning shows gone, but so had the weekday afternoon CITV slot, and ITV shutting their in-house production of kids shown down..
TL
toby lerone 2016
I hope this happens and maybe even establishes a new SM:TV Live with different presenters maybe with likes of Ant & Dec involved behind the scenes. I may be in my 20s but loved SM:TV with Ant, Dec and Cat growing up and continued watching after they left but would love something like that to return but it probably won't and is probably more the case of ITV trying to keep Ant and Dec happy rather than doing anything for kids today.

Maybe it's nostalgia on my part but I think with the right presenters the show could work, after Ant and Dec left you had a period of who is hosting the show and some weeks H and Claire from Steps were there and James Redmond appeared and disappeared quickly then Cat left and you had Tess and Brian which I believed worked well then others joined and disappeared quickly and people left so it was never the same.
Last edited by toby lerone 2016 on 25 February 2017 12:00am
LL
Larry the Loafer
It's a shame nobody can risk approaching a proper Saturday morning show in the same way again. Unless somebody's going to put me in my place by telling me that the numbers actually didn't justify a show like this anymore.

Presumably it has something to do with the ban on advertising junk food that was introduced. A Saturday morning ITV show used to be packed with adverts for cereal, chocolate bars and crisps with more toys leading up to Christmas. Maybe the revenue isn't sufficient for ITV.

I'm sure I asked this on here a while ago but I can't remember if I got an answer or not. If the ban rendered children's programmes on ITV unfeasible, how are they managing to run a whole CITV channel?
GO
gottago

I'm sure I asked this on here a while ago but I can't remember if I got an answer or not. If the ban rendered children's programmes on ITV unfeasible, how are they managing to run a whole CITV channel?

The channel is largely archive and imports though. If they still had kids shows on ITV they'd have to maintain a certain degree of investment in the shows or the ratings would be rock bottom. Also having kids shows on the main channel was dragging their daily share down which counts for a lot more in the multichannel age.
RD
RDJ
The BBC seem weirdly more excited about this than ITV do.

Another report from the BBC this morning which is even on the front page on the BBC News website, saying that Cat Deeley is all up for it, and that it was her that Ant & Dec had been speaking to about a reunion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39088630

It's hyped up a lot of interest on social media and even the press so I think it's a dead cert that we'll see a reunion next year. It would be good if they brought CD:UK back too I think just with a mixture of old bands reuniting performing their songs together with more up to date artists.
Last edited by RDJ on 25 February 2017 10:43am
IS
Inspector Sands

I admit I always prefered The Chart Show to CD:UK personally.

Me too, and I always thought the name CD:UK was awful.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I just hope they don't try to do something that is too aimed at adults and have it die on its arse like OTT (the late night TISWAS spin off did).

The kids show that students/parents/older siblings found funny on a different level is a lot of what made the show, and any revival - especially in a 9.25 slot - needs to try to keep that.
RD
RDJ
Just found a version one the SM:TV theme that I haven't heard before from May 99. I think it's the very first version of the recognisable SM:TV theme between the very first version and the version everyone knows which launched with the new set just a few months later than this clip.

NW
nwtv2003
I didn't watch the early days, as I was a loyal BBC Saturday morning viewer, only ever watching ITV when they moved the Saturday morning summer show to Sunday's and just offers up CBBC programmes. It was a fully polished programme when I tuned in.

Me too, it was the summer of 1999 when SMTV really found itself and took off big style. Notably helped by Zoe and Jamie leaving Live and Kicking and their dreadful replacements.

It's hard not to see a one off show happening now.
AN
Andrew Founding member
SM:TV Live intro in its hayday with classic GMTV & CITV idents as well, all the features that I remember so well.

SO
SOL
There's been a lot of noise about this over the last couple of days, so hopefully this will happen. I loved Saturday morning programmes as a kid, it's a shame these live strands are no longer.

Newer posts