Mass Media & Technology

Cancelled Sky sub now reduced to BBC 1 & 2 please help !

all other free to air channels have now dispappeared (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cardiffian
Do Sky still offer the choice of paying £10 a month for a Sky+ subscription to FSFS customers to rewind, live pause and record FTA/FTV channels only?
We've just recently cancelled our Sky subscription but I still want to be able to access all of my FTA channel recordings and record FTA channels without changing my equipment.

You can but that's £120 a year every year ongoing and there's no guarantee you can still see your recordings but FTA should be okay. FTV channels may be different. Personally I don't think its worth paying £120 a year just for the basic Sky+ recording but its up to you.

It will potentially only be for a few months then I'll be moving out anyway, so I'm looking at £60 - £70 to keep the recording functionality until September compared to £200+ for a new Humax Freesat box. It seems cheaper just to keep the recording function on my existing Sky box for a few months.
IN
Interceptor
Might be worth logging in to your old Sky account and ask if there's any offers for former customers. The last couple of times I have they've given me half price plus a massive account credit with no contract. I have no intention of paying more than £10/month overall, so will give notice next time a bill is generated with any amount on it (and then I expect the same thing will happen again).
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Sky offers are fairly easy to get, usually just phone them up and say I want out. Typically instant offer there and then, often somewhere up to 35% off. Some people on various forums claim they managed to get anywhere from the plausible 60%/65% off up to the (possibly mythical?) 95% off, though these days you typically have to play hardball to get over 30% off.

Sky did use to throw retention deals out left right and centre but they're harder to get now - the trend may be to actually cancel and come back to them a few days later to get a decent % discount.
GM
Gary McEwan
A good trick to get the best out of Sky is to speak them on webchat which is based offshore, they usually give you a ridiculously good deal to stay with them. Then you call the call centre and advise them that webchat offered you X Y Z, and at that point they say that it's not longer available.

You then say that you will cancel, you'll get put on hold for a few minutes, usually its less than this and the person on the phone will offer you something even better than webchat offered. 60/65% is definitely possible if you know to play the system to your own benefit.
IN
Interceptor
Just cancel, and wait for a phonecall about 10 days later (while still in your notice period).

Newer posts