The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Didn't Sky try a similar thing last time ITV moved NaT. I seem to recall an attempt at creating a 'Sky News at Ten' branding, but with a low key 'Sky' element ?!

Stuart and watchingtv gave kudos
NI
Nicky
The fault is with ITV's stupidity, not with Sky.

Sorry but I really don't see how this lets Sky off for completely ripping off someone else's brand.

Completely agree.

Feel free to big up your own 10pm news if a competitor has (temporarily) waved the white flag - but to rip-off branding so closely associated with them really is cheap. As others have pointed out it would be akin to BBC using Big Ben or ITV going all red and white with globes all over the place. It's tacky.

So - headlines. Thunderclaps or bongs? Rolling Eyes
CA
cat
Don't worry, nobody is actually going to watch it

And again I come back to the earlier point: Sky can't/doesn't do appointment to view programming because editorially they don't hold anything back, or have that editorial structure/approach

I know if i watch BBC 10 I'll probably get something more in depth than I would've watching BBC NC at 9. They've had the whole day to get it right.

Sky at 10 I won't get any greater/better journalism than I would've at 8 or 9.

It'll just have a big clock.
II
IrelandIsle
Does Sky News even have an identity of it's own anymore? Over the last year or two gradually it loses any identity it had.

Are they going to house the press preview there now too, around a desk?
DF
DrewF
The glass box studio doesn't feel like a natural fit for the traditional News At Ten branding they're ripping off either - the office view is light and airy so unless they've added some blue downlighting or something similar I suspect it's not going suit that well at all.
SK
Skygeek
cat posted:

And again I come back to the earlier point: Sky can't/doesn't do appointment to view programming because editorially they don't hold anything back, or have that editorial structure/approach

I know if i watch BBC 10 I'll probably get something more in depth than I would've watching BBC NC at 9. They've had the whole day to get it right.

It's the highest-rated slot on the channel... around 300,000 most nights, which is around what Peston gets on ITV on a Sunday morning, but don't let facts get in the way of polemic.

Also, has it occurred to anyone that it might actually be a very good television programme? I certainly hope so. My job security depends on it! Laughing
Stuart, Ratflump and rob gave kudos
JO
Jon
The fault is with ITV's stupidity, not with Sky.

I disagree with this too. ITV have a very good chance of having a massive hit out of this show and something that could run for a long time.

The original News at Ten is never going to compete with it's BBC rival. So the chance that ITV might give people a product that they feel is missing on UK TV and to fill a gap in that time slot for that type of programming, is something they should grasp. I genuinely think whilst there is a good chance this might flop it might turn out to be a big hit either in it's original form or turning into a full time vehicle for a stand out presenter.

It's not like the past when they've moved the news so they can show what they deem more profitable types of programmes at a later time slot. This is a considered move with half a plan behind it and something that could turn out to be a staple on ITV for years. If it works it works if not their probably isn't much damage to the News at Ten brand that can be done that hasn't been done before.

Quote:
Sorry but I really don't see how this lets Sky off for completely ripping off someone else's brand.

As I've already said when your brand is based on images of a national landmark there isn't much ownership that can be claimed of that brand. Maybe it's a little bit of a cheap shot but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea or they shouldn't do it.
Steve Williams and BBI45 gave kudos
NI
Nicky
It's the highest-rated slot on the channel... around 300,000 most nights, which is around what Peston gets on ITV on a Sunday morning, but don't let facts get in the way of polemic.

Also, has it occurred to anyone that it might actually be a very good television programme ? I certainly hope so. My job security depends on it! Laughing

If that's the case, why can't Sky allow the quality of journalism and analysis to be the main points of focus, instead of putting so much emphasis on the Big Ben clockface? It smacks terribly of desperation. BBC News manages to beat ITV in the ratings at 10pm without having to hijack the on-screen identities of its rivals. If it wasn't for the Sky references in that trailer, I'd have thought it was an advert for a revamped Ten on ITV.

As for the ratings - dare I say it - but not sure Sky News at 10 matching Peston in the ratings is anything to write home about...
SK
Skygeek
Nicky posted:

Also, has it occurred to anyone that it might actually be a very good television programme ? I certainly hope so. My job security depends on it! Laughing

If that's the case, why can't Sky allow the quality of journalism and analysis to be the main points of focus, instead of putting so much emphasis on the Big Ben clockface? It smacks terribly of desperation. BBC News manages to beat ITV in the ratings at 10pm without having to hijack the on-screen identities of its rivals. If it wasn't for the Sky references in that trailer, I'd have thought it was an advert for a revamped Ten on ITV.

As for the ratings - dare I say it - but not sure Sky News at 10 matching Peston in the ratings is anything to write home about...

Remind me again what the script of the promo actually says...
JO
Jon
Nicky posted:

Come of it. I think that's a pretty amazing thing. It's a digital channel offering a news programme against two rivals on bigger platforms. The fact it's matching a flagship but poorly performing current affairs programme on a bigger platform is still a pretty comendable achievement in my view.

Unless your suggesting it's only because Wetherspoons is busier at that time of night?
JO
Jon
cat posted:

Also, has it occurred to anyone that it might actually be a very good television programme? I certainly hope so. My job security depends on it! Laughing

Well there will always be those who wont give Sky or ITV products a fair crack of whip just because they're Sky or ITV products.
SK
Skygeek
Jon posted:
Nicky posted:

Come of it. I think that's a pretty amazing thing. It's a digital channel offering a news programme against two rivals on bigger platforms. The fact it's matching a flagship but poorly performing current affairs programme on a bigger platform is still a pretty comendable achievement in my view.

Unless your suggesting it's only because Wetherspoons is busier at that time of night?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Newer posts