TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland to launch new channel

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Richard
I wonder if this will take the old BBC Three slot in Scotland with BBC closing two hours earlier there? As for a prominent EPG slot I would assume that means it'll take BBC Alba's slot and that will move into the depth of the EPG, can't see them moving BBC Four.

I thought BBC Alba had to have a prominent slot. It's been prominent since launch, taking over from the previous 1 hour a day channel whose name escapes me.

Does that mean BBC 2 is losing its Scottish version? It would make sense so that BBC 2 HD and SD match up outside England. Assuming something similar happens in Wales and NI.
IS
Inspector Sands
Very rarely am I on the pulse! Does raise some questions though about what BBC One and Two Scotland will look like in the future - some of the budget is coming from opts on those channels, which could mean they more closely resemble network in the future?

The report seems to suggest that the budget for its bbc2 opt outs is going to the new channel so presumably there won't be any bbc2 Scotland?
IS
Inspector Sands
I wonder if this will take the old BBC Three slot in Scotland with BBC closing two hours earlier there?

Possibly, though the BBC have recently been looking for someone to sell the 9pm to 5am slot on what was BBC3 HD (not the SD version as that's on the BBC PSB mux)

Incidently, more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/scotland-investment
NT
Night Thoughts
A strange priority against a backdrop of cuts to wider BBC services.

It feels like an enormous bribe to head off a Scottish Six. It's great to see new investment in programming and journalism, but when regional broadcasting elsewhere is being cut back (particularly the English local radio stations), it seems politics has won over all else. The wheel that squeaks gets the grease...
RE
Rex
I wonder if this will take the old BBC Three slot in Scotland with BBC closing two hours earlier there? As for a prominent EPG slot I would assume that means it'll take BBC Alba's slot and that will move into the depth of the EPG, can't see them moving BBC Four.

I thought BBC Alba had to have a prominent slot. It's been prominent since launch, taking over from the previous 1 hour a day channel whose name escapes me.

Does that mean BBC 2 is losing its Scottish version? It would make sense so that BBC 2 HD and SD match up outside England. Assuming something similar happens in Wales and NI.

That was Tele-G right? Part of the SDN licence, when DTT launched, had an obligation to air Gaelic content for a specific amount of time, thus Tele-G launched. However that didn't help when SDN was only regionalised for Wales (in the case of S4C), the 6pm hour used up for Tele-G didn't go out for England and NI. It was unneeded when it became clear that Alba was launching on Freeview.
:-(
A former member
If Twitter is anything the people want a Scottish six.
GO
gottago
I wonder if this will take the old BBC Three slot in Scotland with BBC closing two hours earlier there?

Possibly, though the BBC have recently been looking for someone to sell the 9pm to 5am slot on what was BBC3 HD (not the SD version as that's on the BBC PSB mux)

Incidently, more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/scotland-investment

That link seems to suggest it'll only be available in HD online which would make it all the more likely that it's the old BBC3 slot.
GL
globaltraffic24
[quote="james-2001" pid="1048673"]
Ste posted:
When will the North West of England get its own channel with that sort of budget? After all our population is bigger than Scotland.

Is the North West run by a nationalist party constantly spouting grievance politics that the BBC feel a need to appease?[/quote

Is the North West a nation currently part of a Union of Nations?
TVF
TV Forum Team
Posts from BBC Scotland to Launch new TV channel and New BBC Channel for Scotland have been merged into this topic.
BL
bluecortina
I expect STV and Grampian are really pleased with this development. Not.
LO
loganl0
Hm, looks interesting. What they could do with this is move it to the old BBC Three slot in Scotland, and even have it over here in England. Not like they would, but we have Welsh and Scottish BBC over in England anyways.
:-(
A former member
It will no doubt have to be free-to-air on satellite.

Newer posts