The Newsroom

The Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Thread

(August 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Was just about to post the same. Is the NC the sustaining feed these days rather than London? I presume that's just what we get if a region fails to opt nowadays.

The NC usually only goes to air if something has gone spectacularly wrong technically at the last minute. Normally we would have got Hull's programme, either via Leeds or by CCM switching the feeds. But if it's something like the opt switch refusing to cooperate there isn't a lot of time to get that set up.
DF
DrewF
The Look North bulletin is on iPlayer but likewise just contains 5 minutes of NC! Curious that there's not been a single word from LN on social media - or from Amanda Harper who it would appear was due to present tonight.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
They have replied to Tweets with a generic technical problems response.
SP
Spencer
Was just about to post the same. Is the NC the sustaining feed these days rather than London? I presume that's just what we get if a region fails to opt nowadays.

It is (except during Breakfast). Quite honestly, it would be more 'seamless' if they went back to using London as the sustaining service, if it's fine for Breakfast, then why not other times ? (Of course, it can't be the NC anyway during Breakfast !)

London clearly only ends up being the regional replacement on NC Breakfast for lack of any other realistic option. It's telling that the NC breaks away from Breakfast at the start of the 08:27-ish regional slot in favour of trailers/weather faffing, thus limiting the number of national screenings of London News per morning as much as possible (it is clearly not regarded as the preferred/ideal solution). I suppose arguably they could have e.g. the main Breakfast presenters doing a newspaper review (or some such thing) as the NC regional replacement instead?

Didnt they do that for digital viewers during the Beijing Olympics when Breakfast was shifted to BBC Two? I would imagine for the proportion of viewers watching Breakfast on the NC it probably wouldn't be deemed worth it though. Plus the presenters probably enjoy having a few moments break.
LS
Lou Scannon
I suppose arguably they could have e.g. the main Breakfast presenters doing a newspaper review (or some such thing) as the NC regional replacement instead?

Didnt they do that for digital viewers during the Beijing Olympics when Breakfast was shifted to BBC Two? I would imagine for the proportion of viewers watching Breakfast on the NC it probably wouldn't be deemed worth it though. Plus the presenters probably enjoy having a few moments break.

Indeed they did, and you make two very good points.

A mere 4 poxy little London bulletins per morning being seen nationally, and probably with only quite a small proportion of Breakfast's total audience watching via the NC (and for some of whom, London is the correct region anyway), is no great hardship really.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I presume that the Breakfast gallery and studio having those breaks is seen as important. Otherwise I'm sure the penny pinchers at the BBC would have had them do the NWT opt from the same studio.
MA
Markymark
I presume that the Breakfast gallery and studio having those breaks is seen as important. Otherwise I'm sure the penny pinchers at the BBC would have had them do the NWT opt from the same studio.

It is really anyway. The presenter is in the little pres studio down the corridor, but the NWT opts are controlled from the same gallery as Breakfast I think (I fact, there is only one gallery ?)
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I thought there was a second gallery? Or is the cupboard just treated as a DTL when the Marr news bulletin comes from there?
ST
South Today
Bring back the self op setup of the Tina Bangs/Nigel Jay era. *Clunk*
SP
Steve in Pudsey
You know you could probably do that very easily these days with automation. Set up your playlist and just hit f12 to start each package.
JT
jolly turnip
Did Hull opt out ok? Thought Hull was back up to Leeds and vice versa?
MI
m_in_m
I thought there was a second gallery? Or is the cupboard just treated as a DTL when the Marr news bulletin comes from there?

I think the DTL point is fed into the Breakfast/NWT gallery and down to London but I may have misunderstood what people have previously said.

If the NWT bulletins are driven from the Breakfast gallery then why would they not be the sustaining feed for BBC1? Surely it just creates additional work needing to bring London or TW (on those rare occasions) in as on outside source? They both have the ability to opt out - and that's been the case since before the Salford move hasn't it?

Newer posts