TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Did anyone else notice its been excalty 10 years since BBC two last had a proper rebrand? with the crappy "2"-shaped cut-out.
RE
Rex
Did anyone else notice its been excalty 10 years since BBC two last had a proper rebrand? with the crappy "2"-shaped cut-out.

Window on the World wasn't exactly bad - particularly liked some of the idents, especially Mirror. Sadly, the surrounding presentation completely degraded the package, to a point where the 90s idents were brought back on air as a last resort.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Given what they've done to BBC One, I'm hoping it surpasses 11 years.
JO
Jonny
Any further info on whether Optics has been reinstated outside Wales?
RE
Rex
Given what they've done to BBC One, I'm hoping it surpasses 11 years.

Hopefully... Laughing

TWO and FOUR are in need of a rebrand, but I would actually be cautious after what BBC Creative has conjured up for BBC ONE - a poor first effort for an in-house agency formed barely a year ago, after the BBC cut ties with Red Bee for its pres.

I'm going to be a bit generous at least for once to BBC Creative - the real test for them however - is in the as yet unfilmed idents.

Following the overwhelming dislike for the first batch of idents, there's room for improvement with new idents to be shown throughout the year. Hopefully there should be some oversight for quality control and implementing the feedback necessary to improve the current pres package, as well as looking to plan out ideas for new pres packages for the three main channels (note that the Oneness campaign and the Parr collaboration has been said to last a year by BBC PR).

BBC News and CBeebies don't really need much of a change - the presentation is iconic, and the theme can easily be evolved.
BE
Bert75
When BBC 1 do change there idents it probably be more people ident or live action nothing to get excited about if they do change them that is
DP
D.Page
Just happened to be watching BBC2 Wales this afternoon. Since when have they been using Optics ident?

Jonny posted:
Any further info on whether Optics has been reinstated outside Wales?

I've since got more information.

Cardiff was sent a clean copy of Optics file from Network, for them to add their logo, and use immediately. It seems, then, highly likely that Network and Scotland are about to use it also (if they haven't done so already - I haven't been glued to either of them the last few days).

My capture [above], which aired 17-02-2017, at 6.30pm was the 1st TX of its reinstatement on BBC2 Wales. It was penciled in to launch on Saturday 18th, but was brought forward to Friday 17th.
Last edited by D.Page on 20 February 2017 6:34pm - 12 times in total
PC
p_c_u_k
The problem with BBC One was partially down to the execution, but also down to the heavy repetition of the same two idents when they launched.

There is a strange part of me warming to the fact that, in this celebrity-led Photoshopped world, these are humans, warts and all, just doing normal things. But when you're presented with the same two on a loop, with alienating place names, and they look quite so basic ... there's a fine line between natural and amateur.

You'd hope some lessons would have been learned without throwing out the idea completely.
LO
loganl0
Damn, have the beeb really not dropped the 90s idents on Two yet? I know people want nostalgia but they're getting pretty redundant, even for someone like me who is obsessed with retro TV stuff.

TWO and FOUR are in need of a rebrand, but I would actually be cautious after what BBC Creative has conjured up for BBC ONE - a poor first effort for an in-house agency formed barely a year ago, after the BBC cut ties with Red Bee for its pres.

I'm putting my faith in BBC Creative, even after the terrible ONEness they pulled out.
LL
Larry the Loafer
The only problem I have with them using the 90s idents is the limited roster Network are playing out. It'd be great if they could vary it up a bit, but surely they could introduce a comedy show with something other than Kebab for a change.
:-(
A former member
What happened to all those idents from 2002-07 for the comedy shows? surly there could come back?
RE
Rex
Damn, have the beeb really not dropped the 90s idents on Two yet? I know people want nostalgia but they're getting pretty redundant, even for someone like me who is obsessed with retro TV stuff.

I'm putting my faith in BBC Creative, even after the terrible ONEness they pulled out.

The 90s idents are in service right now - as it is seen to be the best, and most beloved set of BBC TWO idents. I see it more of a stopgap until a new ident set is launched.

BBC Creative's real test however, is the unfilmed idents. All of the Oneness idents shown so far were produced prior to their airing. The overwhelming dislike should give oversight for quality control and the feedback can be useful in making the set a touch more appealing to the eye. It'll be interesting to see what they've planned for the remaining 19 they've yet to film.
Last edited by Rex on 20 February 2017 4:42pm

Newer posts