The Newsroom

Sky News: Presenters & Rotas

Chat about Sky News Presenters and Rotas Here (July 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HB
HarryB
Stephen and Gillian back together
TVViewer256 and London Lite gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
I thought I'd got past the slagging of the glass box stage but god that cap is probably the worst I've seen the backdrop look.
RH
richard h
Was that Skygeek who made a guest appearance in the background during the 22:30 Press Preview?
SK
Skygeek
Was that Skygeek who made a guest appearance in the background during the 22:30 Press Preview?

Begs the question if it's really a guest appearance if I work there, but since the post referenced me directly, I'll answer... yes.

*goes back underground*
RH
richard h

Begs the question if it's really a guest appearance if I work there, but since the post referenced me directly, I'll answer... yes.

*goes back underground*

Thought so, thanks for replying

Why is there no Ian King Live tonight?

Edit it started 5 minutes late
LL
London Lite Founding member
Amanda Walker is anchoring the Donald Trump themed bulletin at midnight from DC. Rebecca Williams through the night afterwards.
HT
htchngs
Ed Conway (Economics Editor) is presenting Ian King Live tonight.
LL
Jayne Secker returned today.
II
IrelandIsle
The more Sky News I watch, the more it's obvious they are at least a couple of presenters light, a lot of the cover presenters in my view just simply are not suited to anything more than reading from the auto-cue or overnight news or a second presenter in a duo.

Niall and Gamal are pretty decent but honestly the rest are not up to the job. Watching Kimberley just do two interviews honestly she was very poor and boring, I've never seen her outside World News or a second presenter in a two and honestly I can see why.

It's been cut back too much, the front line presenters are still excellent, but a lot of the slots with the back-up presenters just seem dull dull dull.
TH
TomH
Couldn't agree more, she is abysmal.
II
IrelandIsle
I think saying she's abysmal is a little harsh - she's just another one of a number of people who have been promoted to roles which they are not suitable for or promoted to before they are ready for.

Overnights, news-reading, auto-cue stuff she is fine, but as an interviewer and a lead presenter on main bulletins sorry she is just not for me, it just doesn't feel right for a channel like Sky News.

The big difference between now and 12-18 months ago is that the gap in standard between the main presenters and a lot of the cover presenters is very noticeable and as big as it's ever been.

I also admire the fact that Sky are trying to bring through new talent and there clearly is some as Gamal and Niall have shown over the last year or two who I think are more than capable of holding their own.

The problem is that a lot of the other cover is extremely limited, lacks any kind of charisma or personality and just appears to be very robotic and with forced delivery, uncomfortable at interviews and there have been several times in the last 12 months where people have looked like rabbits in headlights which I never saw before.
Last edited by IrelandIsle on 17 February 2017 5:02pm
LL
Going by the 3-4pm hour, the issue I think is her delivery which is rather generic. The questions she asked Michael Fallon were the right ones, but the way she delivers those are not in the same league as Kay or any of the regulars and I'd include Sophy Ridge in that.

The Scottish guy who was on Sunrise this morning covering for Stephen Dixon has similar issues, but I find him an easier watch in the background than Kimberley sadly.

Newer posts