Media Websites

Digital Spy

to be downsized ... (November 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
Asa Admin
pad posted:
Edit: Just looked at Firefox and the link is added automatically as a "shopping link addded by SkimWords". So it's an ad basically and means nothing.

Eugh, keyword advertising! I take back all I said Smile

Hang on, that was just a test import?

Hmm, a bit odd. Presumably they will have regular backups which could have been used to test a migration, rather than making the site read only for that length of time.
JK
John Koenig
JAS84 posted:
If they have already completed a migration, why not move over to the new forum? why keep using the old one meaning another migration has to be done.

Guessing there are issues.

Yep. As mentioned in Pad's post two above yours:
Quote:
We identified a few issues that we can now iron out

I think it's more problematic than they claim. Confused
JA
james-2001
They never said anything about it being a test run or anything beforehand- which indicates some sort of cock-up behind the scenes.

47 days later

NW
NeilWilkes
What's scary is next week it will be 16 years to the day since I first signed up to DS... which is more than half of my life. Of course the site's changed dramatically (and gone badly downhill) in that time.

In fact when I first joined, Digitalspy was just the forums, the news was a separate site called Diginews. It didn't all come until the Digitalspy name until some point in 2001.

And I remember you Smile

From memory we (re)launched the forums under the Digital Spy brand in March 2000 before packing all of those old diginews sites up into DS about a year later.

It's a little saddening to read some comments on this thread from old school users who felt progressively isolated over the years, as media and broadcasting was the genesis of the site and remained a key, albeit smaller, part of it when I left around six years ago. (On my new venture I still look for us to cover broadcasting articles, no matter how tenuous the link!)

For what it's worth I felt we used to do a good job of maintaining the two spheres of our site - internally we used to brand the entertainment and media content 'purple zone' and 'red zone' - and the showbiz content we did cover at the time was deliberately as down-the-line, as "BBC", as we could make it.

As I say that was six years ago though and the site has since changed dramatically in several ways - editorial style, remit of content covered, design, staff, etc - not to mention the online environment is a much, much tougher atmosphere for publishers to thrive in. Aaaaaaand it wouldn't really be my place to comment on any of that Cool
ST
Ste Founding member
What's scary is next week it will be 16 years to the day since I first signed up to DS... which is more than half of my life. Of course the site's changed dramatically (and gone badly downhill) in that time.

In fact when I first joined, Digitalspy was just the forums, the news was a separate site called Diginews. It didn't all come until the Digitalspy name until some point in 2001.

Just checked my join date 04-03-2000, so 17 years next month, also more than half my life!
PF
PFML84
Forums seem to be down at the moment. I wonder if it was the CBB final that caused it or if the forum refresh is current happening...?
JA
JAS84
Well, it wasn't the refresh, the forum is working now, no change. Maybe CBB did crash it.
JB
JasonB
JAS84 posted:
Well, it wasn't the refresh, the forum is working now, no change. Maybe CBB did crash it.

Rubbish like Big Brother has crashed the forums in the past.

16 days later

LL
Larry the Loafer
This might be of interest to some:

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/news/a816819/digital-spy-forums-changes-software-upgrade/
JB
JasonB

It's nice of them to think of the Big Brother masses. What would they have done without the forums should DS had done down during BB?!

Actually, Imagine what would have happened if TV Forum went down during a Good Morning Britain relaunch?
JA
james-2001
Life would have continued as normal I imagine Shocked
JB
JasonB
Digital Spy Forums have now gone read only.

Newer posts