TV Home Forum

Sky / Discovery Dispute

Full scale war breaks out - Peace reached with 4.5hrs to go, (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
I know no more than this .....

Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 31 January 2017 7:30pm - 2 times in total
DV
dvboy
A reminder that Eurosport is owned by Discovery, keep an eye out for those messages.

JF
JetixFann450
Apparently, if you visit discoveryuk.com, you'll be redirected to keepdiscovery.co.uk. Honestly, I think this will possibly cause Sky UK viewers who like Eurosport, Discovery Channel and all those other networks to actually switch to BT and Virgin. But this actually reminds me of the countless times Viacom and DirecTV were trying to bring back Viacom channels over an dispute over Viacom and DirecTV.

TM
TMD_24
Discovery could pull all of it's channels from the Sky platform as a dispute between Sky & Discovery begins to reach it peak after failing to agree over a carriage deal. If it's unresolved it could mean that all 12 channels including Eurosport, Discovery, TLC & Animal Planet will be gone from the Sky platform from the 31st January.

http://keepdiscovery.co.uk/?id=

FAQ:
Quote:
Q: What is the situation between Sky and Discovery?

A: Sky and NOW TV households in the UK and Ireland could lose all of Discovery’s much-loved channels and programmes after 31st January.

Our fans are amongst the most loyal in TV and we have invested significantly to bring world class channels and content to the UK for nearly 30 years.

Our portfolio of 12 channels cater to a wide range of personal tastes and interests from adventure, natural history, science and sports to extraordinary people, families, weddings, and true crime.

We are committed to finding a solution with Sky in order to keep bringing you the channels you love.

Q: Which channels are affected?

A: 12 channels of our channels are affected. They are; Discovery Channel, TLC, Eurosport 1, Eurosport 2, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, DMAX, Discovery Turbo, Discovery Shed, Discovery Science, Discovery History and Home & Health.

Q: What if I am a Virgin Media or BT customer?

A: This situation only affects Sky and NOW TV customers.

Q: What do I need to do to make sure I can keep watching my Discovery channels.

A: We hope to be able to tell you more soon. For updates, please check our website discoveryuk.com and Facebook page @DiscoveryUK.
DV
dvboy
Full press release

ST
Stuart
It's currently being discussed in the Sky Branding thread , but probably warrants a thread of its own, if the mods could merge the comments from there.
DV
dvboy
Response from Sky:

:-(
A former member
It really does. I would have never know about this.
JO
Jon
I think this potentially damages Discovery more than it goes Sky.
:-(
A former member
It seems there is also this from Media section:
http://www.tvforum.co.uk/mediatech/sky-discovery-dispute-42394/
LL
Larry the Loafer
Funnily enough, it's about ten years since the same thing kicked off with Virgin Media.
RE
Rex
Jon posted:
I think this potentially damages Discovery more than it goes Sky.

Sky as far as it's concerned is the largest platform for Discovery content - but any removal would reduce reach dramatically. Virgin and BT aren't anywhere near the numbers that Sky have.

Not even having Quest, which is largely successful on the Freeview platform, would prevent any reduction of reach.

Newer posts