TV Home Forum

GMTV of the 1993-2003

Ten years of classic GMTV (May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BL
bluecortina
...Indeed, the install of the GMTV set and facilities were dogged with problems. ...

No they weren't. The technical installations were a challenge but went successfully. The set was installed like any other. Perhaps the only interesting point about the set was the real gas fire installation and attendant logistical issues.

I briefly entered the GMTV studio in the yr 2000, I do recall a large cable duct across floor at the studio entrance, because that part of the building had a solid (rather than 'computer') floor ? Nothing that unusual, I've encountered similar worldwide !

Not quite sure what you mean by 'across the floor' Markymark? As you say the studio had a solid floor and so all the cabling for wall boxes/cameras etc were within cable troughs/ducts at roughly waist height. The control room also had a solid floor, so the computer flooring there is only about 4" deep. Tight but enough.
PE
peterrocket Founding member
The first ever 35 minutes of GMTV has been uploaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yNllB26Vzw

How come a blue background appears behind the clock during the VT at 06:15?

I'd hazard a guess in that since it's only over that part it's to hide a different design of clock that was there - presumably that's part of the pilots they made.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I've been reading Lorraine Kelly's autobiography, which like that of Eamonn Holmes and Fern Britton is very candid about the politics of television and things such as the 1991 franchise round.

She talks about her Sky One show which started at 9:30pm straight after GMTV came off air, and how she'd come off air, change her jacket, walk over to the sofa as the backdrop would unroll, then go on air.

I know it's been discussed on the Forum before but it really is a striking difference considering all they've done is unrolled some blinds and added some cushions.

DE88, Spencer and Inspector Sands gave kudos
CH
chris
Well that must have passed me by on the forum! So Lorraine was doing LK Today (or whatever it was called at that point) on the other side of the studio, nipped over to the GMTV Today sofa and presented a SKY ONE show? How did that work logistically? Was it made by GMTV?
JA
james-2001
I presume it must have been. LivingTV showed a GMTV produced soap review show presented by Richard Arnold at one time too.
VM
VMPhil
She talks about her Sky One show which started at 9:30pm straight after GMTV came off air, and how she'd come off air, change her jacket, walk over to the sofa as the backdrop would unroll, then go on air.

I know this was a typo but I'm now imagining GMTV doing an All Day Breakfast and staying on the air for twelve extra hours. That would be something.
VM
VMPhil
chris posted:
Well that must have passed me by on the forum! So Lorraine was doing LK Today (or whatever it was called at that point) on the other side of the studio, nipped over to the GMTV Today sofa and presented a SKY ONE show? How did that work logistically? Was it made by GMTV?

We discussed it a while back: http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post972744#post-972744

There's a Broadcast article from the time if you're a subscriber. It was indeed produced by GMTV.

In fact it's just recent enough to have its own thread on TV Forum! http://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/lorraine-kellys-new-36136/
WH
Whataday Founding member
Here it is from the horse's mouth:

CR
Critique
What's the audio from? Sounds like a statement/press release!
VM
VMPhil
I presume it's from an audiobook reading of her autobiography?
IS
Inspector Sands

You're correct. After wos finished part of the set was left in situ (camera left - the sort of faux control rooms). I suspect there were left there simply for cost saving reasons. But all that went when the studio was converted to component to produce a weekday programme for bsb.

Where did they do the remnants of WOS - Saint & Greavsie and the Results Service? Just a guess but could the 'faux control room' set maybe have been used for the latter for a while?
WH
Whataday Founding member
I presume it's from an audiobook reading of her autobiography?

Correct, it's a clip from a reading of her book (in which she also says Saint & Greavsie occupied Studio 5 before GMTV)

Incidentally I think the set during that period (in the clip above) was the best incarnation. Maybe the sofa could have been bigger.

Newer posts