The Newsroom

President Trump's Inauguaration coverage

(January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
mark Founding member
As mentioned in the TVNewser story, a number of US networks will be streaming their inauguration coverage on YouTube.

NBC's stream starts at 3pm UK time (10am ET) tomorrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prd2RfhF1tM
MA
Markymark
I still like the British way Vote one day and your oot the next Very Happy

Well, almost, remember May 2010 and Gordon Brown !!
JK
John Koenig
I never understand all this pomp, at least here broom and your oot the door within hours.

We have it with our Queen and parliament, makes things look more official and powerful, with status. Personally I like it. It's like a birthday party for the state.
MO
Mouseboy33
I still like the British way Vote one day and your oot the next Very Happy

Yeah because the UK head of state changes are a low key affair. Rolling Eyes
http://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embed-lg/public/2015/08/13/ap5306020255.jpg
:-(
A former member
I never understand all this pomp, at least here broom and your oot the door within hours.

We have it with our Queen and parliament, makes things look more official and powerful, with status. Personally I like it. It's like a birthday party for the state.

I have to remember Our queen - same level as trump. what I meant was UK when changing governments its just fast. comparing it to new king/queen or state opening parliament is bit different.
IS
Inspector Sands

Yeah because the UK head of state changes are a low key affair. Rolling Eyes

Yes and that happened about a year after she became Queen (which is why Edward 6th never had a coronation, he abdicated before his happened)

Changing President of the US is a much bigger deal than a new monarch or prime minister. It can't be done overnight as the transition is bigger, the incoming president has to hire thousands of people* - from the heads of departments and agencies to white house staff. Here there is more continuity of civil servants, the new PM will decide on cabinet and ministerial posts in their first few days but a lot of government workers stay.

*this was something apparently came as a surprise to Trump when Obama told him during their post election meeting!
BR
Brekkie
ITV and C4 live in Washington. Is Huw Edwards out there for the BBC or is it a victim of the cuts?
WO
Worzel
ITV and C4 live in Washington. Is Huw Edwards out there for the BBC or is it a victim of the cuts?

He was in his usual News Channel News at Five slot in the studio today, so probably not.
DE
deejay
Accession to the throne is instant - the King is dead, long live the Queen. Coronation, the ceremony, is more of a formality and can happen many months later.
JK
John Koenig
Fox News are live streaming, similar I think to election night. Via Apple TV etc.

CNN seem very good for events happening today. Sky not showing much.
ST
Stuart
Yes and that happened about a year after she became Queen (which is why Edward 6th never had a coronation, he abdicated before his happened)

Edward VIII. Edward VI was crowned 3 weeks after the death of his father in 1547.

The change of our Head of State isn't the same, as it's purely ceremonial. They have no actual role in government, which continues regardless in the event of the death of a monarch. The new uncrowned monarch then signs off legislation on instruction of the government from day 1.

Our change of Head of Government is closer to the change of President in the US. Although, as others have said, the PM only appoints around 100 Secretaries of State and Ministers of State in the days/weeks following appointment. The continuity is provided by the Civil Service.

The US President appoints about 4,000 people ranging from Secretaries of federal departments to judges, ambassadors, commissioners and advisers. Many of these then have to be approved by Congress. It's not surprising the transition takes 10 weeks.
Last edited by Stuart on 20 January 2017 7:56am
CA
Cando
Fingers crossed that this thread will be renamed "Trump's impeachment coverage" within a week.

Newer posts