TV Home Forum

The Freeview Thread

Updates and info on the DTT platform (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Rex
So what changes have occurred today? I can't detect anything. There are no tell-tale 790's around either.

Same...absolutely nothing has happened, aside from True Christmas changing back into True Movies. According to a post on the YouView forums - only a change to the channel descriptor that isn't seen by the viewer.
RE
Rex

A comparison between the old and new pres packages of the Sony Movie Channel, which is absorbing Movie Mix. This is the culmination of a four year plan in which Freeview capacity had been consolidated to create a Sony offering on the platform.
RE
Rex
Latest round of changes:
LCN 86 freed up with VIVA+1 pulled off the EPG.
TruTV+1 has now been reduced to an hour on LCN 69, between 4am - 5am, timesharing with the main TruTV channel.
RE
Rex
Following VIVA+1's removal from the EPG, today sees the return of a timeshift channel; More4+1 on LCN 86.
It's carried on COM8, and this secures all of the C4 SD channels on the Freeview platform.
RE
Rex
Rishtey Cineplex has launched on LCN 88 - on COM8. Not much to see here...
BR
Brekkie
Real shame COM8 is being filled up largely by SD channels that nobody was exactly missing off Freeview. If OFCOM are serious about removing COM7/8 as originally planned then in preparation for changing existing muxes to DVB-T2 and hopefully switching more PSB channels to HD as standard then space shouldn't be given away to anyone who wants it.

However I guess on the flipside the mux has set their largely empty for a couple of years. I wonder if there was some stipulation that meant it could only be used for HD for a certain period of time.
Last edited by Brekkie on 18 January 2017 6:49pm - 2 times in total
MA
Markymark
Real shame COM8 is being filled up largely bt SD channels that nobody was exactly missing off Freeview. If OFCOM are serious about removing COM7/8 as originally planned then in preparation for changing existing muxes to DVB-T2 and hopefully switching more PSB channels to HD as standard then space shouldn't be given away to anyone who wants it.

However I guess on the flipside the mux has set their largely empty for a couple of years. I wonder if there was some stipulation that meant it could only be used for HD for a certain period of time.

I think the whole purpose of COM 7 and 8 was to promote and drive DVB-T2, and not HD per se.

It's always irritated me that DVB-T2 tuners are described as 'HD' rather than T2, which is misleading
RE
Rex
Real shame COM8 is being filled up largely bt SD channels that nobody was exactly missing off Freeview. If OFCOM are serious about removing COM7/8 as originally planned then in preparation for changing existing muxes to DVB-T2 and hopefully switching more PSB channels to HD as standard then space shouldn't be given away to anyone who wants it.

I think the whole purpose of COM 7 and 8 was to promote and drive DVB-T2, and not HD per se.

It's always irritated me that DVB-T2 tuners are described as 'HD' rather than T2, which is misleading

COM7 and COM8 have also been a haven for niche channels that have found a home on Freeview, at least.

14 days later

RE
Rex
Forgot to put this update on - Shop 8 to 12 has been replaced by Sewing Quarter. Same hours as before, not much to see here....
JA
jackhendo
Presumably the new Sky/Discovery deal has prevented any additional Discovery owned channels appearing on freeview in the future!
RE
Rex
Presumably the new Sky/Discovery deal has prevented any additional Discovery owned channels appearing on freeview in the future!

Maybe - but I don't see that as a big deal. Quest already serves the Freeview service well, and you could just get Discovery's pay channels on the cheap.

It will be interesting to see who will have won the ex-BBC THREE HD capacity - and what will happen to TruTV.

QVC+1 HD has changed its name to QVC HD - on COM8.
RE
Rex
700MHz frequency clearance starts as a pilot on March 1 - when PSB1 in Selkirk moves to ch.32.

Selkirk has been chosen on this occasion as all of the frequencies for Freeview muxes are in the 700MHz danger zone.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/02/freeview-retune-announced-for-scottish.html?m=1

Newer posts