TV Home Forum

The Crystal Maze returns to C4

Second series of celeb specials with new games now airing Fridays (August 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
davidhorman
DJGM posted:
So, The Crystal Maze Manchester experience is costing from £45 per person! I knew it might be a bit on the expensive side, but that is an absoluely ****ing diabolical rip-off! Offensively overpriced to the point that it's extortionate!

Blimey, calm down. No-one's forcing you to go. What would be an objectively fair amount to charge for the recreated experience of a beloved 90s gameshow, then? It's not like we can weigh it up against Every Second Counts Land...

The company can and will charge whatever they think they can get away with, and if people cough up it's because they think it will be worth it - and they clearly do, in their droves by the looks of things.

It's half the price of driving an Aston Martin around Silverstone for an hour. I know which I'd far rather do.

Looking at the site, though, I wonder how it all works since they have eight sessions starting during every hour. I was imagining one team in each zone at a time, but they must be right on each other's heels, game-to-game.
Whataday and james-2001 gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
It's £55 in London isn't it?

Is on the pricey side but it's sold as a one off experience rather than something you'd do frequently. Compared to theatre or gig prices, or tickets to sporting events, its a fair price.

P.S. So wish they'd filmed another episode to air over Christmas - TV needs it IMO.
Last edited by Brekkie on 24 December 2016 12:56pm
JC
JCB
Quote:
It's £55 in London isn't it?

Christ, you can get into Alton Towers for the day for that price!. And that doesn't look like Wernham Hogg in shoddy disguise.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The Manchester prices are £45 Tuesday-Thursday (but can only go after 4:30pm) and £55 on a Friday (sessions from 2pm) and a weekend (from 9:30am) for two hours but you can go if you're at least 13 years old.

The London prices appear to be £52.50 during the week and £63 on a weekend and all sessions start at 2pm (10am on Saturday) and run for 90 minutes but you have to be over 18 for this.

I think we said this before but the sessions do sell out quickly and that would not be the case if the prices were too high, so somebody must be doing something right. It gets glowing reviews, currently 4.9 out of 5 on Facebook and is booked out months in advance. It is a business at the end of the day.
:-(
A former member
Doesnt the company also have to pay money to the rights holder? and if the rights holder can clearly see a demand there be waiting there slice of the pie.

Just to check is it the Manchester one that will be used for filming the Ch4 series? which also means there make it more TV friendly?

20 days later

LL
Larry the Loafer
A report on Digital Spy cites an uneducated guess that Richard Ayoade will front a full series. I'll spare you the URL so they don't feel like their clickbait sh*t is actually worth publishing, but amidst it, there was this quote from a Channel 4 spokesperson:

"Due to the overwhelming popularity of the Stand Up To Cancer special, early conversations are being had about The Crystal Maze."
BR
Brekkie
That isn't a completely new rumour and I said a few weeks ago he'd either be brilliant or awful. Travel Man is one of the best hidden gems on TV IMO, but not sure his awkward persona would be right to take on the mazemaster role.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Well according to Digital Spy it is now confirmed there will be a new 20 episode run of Crystal Maze presented by Richard Ayoade and it will be filmed in Bristol in a 30k square foot set with teams of five (as in SU2C special) as opposed to six in the original series.
HC
Hatton Cross
That'll be at The Bottle Yard studios then..
(Home to Trollied and former second home to Deal Or No Deal)
WH
Whataday Founding member
DJGM posted:
So, The Crystal Maze Manchester experience is costing from £45 per person! I knew it might be a bit on the expensive side, but that is an absoluely ****ing diabolical rip-off! Offensively overpriced to the point that it's extortionate!

I really don't understand the outrage at this price. It's not a theme park attraction, it's an experience. It's in the same ilk as flying in a hot air balloon, a day at the races or as previously mentioned, driving a car around Silverstone (and very cheap compared to most of those) As such it has a low throughput and a high demand which means it's therefore priced accordingly.

If it sells out fast, that demand suggests it's far from a rip off.
JO
Jonny
Comparable to a theatre, concert or elite sport ticket, and something you're only likely to do once. Seems reasonable given demand.
DA
davidhorman
it will be filmed in Bristol in a 30k square foot set

How big was the original? Wonder if they'll add any virtual set stuff. I'm still quite impressed with how Aztec looks on the original series.

Newer posts