« Topics
Wicko1,381 posts since 3 Dec 2003
Meridian (South) South Today
They really are a poor mans retread of Rytham and Movement, who ever thought that would be sentence uttered here

I'd say they'd just count as "Movement".

Without the movement.

The purpose of the idents is to give the impression that ordinary people are gathering for a photograph. Hence the capturing of 2017 comments by Charlotte Moore. Now there are four in the set they already look miles better.
I am the Optimistic Goldfish.
tightrope78 gave kudos
MetalGearRex774 posts since 11 May 2016
London London

Without the movement.

The purpose of the idents is to give the impression that ordinary people are gathering for a photograph. Hence the capturing of 2017 comments by Charlotte Moore. Now there are four in the set they already look miles better.

So far - Wheelchair Rugby Team is the best of the lot, followed by Mountain Rescue. Sea Swimmers and Exercise Class are pretty dreadful as far as it's concerned. This is what should have been the launch idents on New Years Day, not only the latter two.
'What is the only planet capable of sustaining life?'
'Mars.'
Brekkie26,721 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Without the movement.

So far - Wheelchair Rugby Team is the best of the lot, followed by Mountain Rescue. Sea Swimmers and Exercise Class are pretty dreadful as far as it's concerned. This is what should have been the launch idents on New Years Day, not only the latter two.

Well I guess you could say each it better than the last then.
Shouldn't that have been posted in the "John Logie Baird has Invented Television" thread?
Brekkie26,721 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today

Without the movement.

I'll credit you for trying to remain optimistic, but the trouble is the concept goes no further than that. Other campaigns have taken a similar idea and done it much better.

If the idea is they're gathering for a photo there needs to be some indication within the ident that the photo is being taken, and if they added a visual and audio indication of the moment the photo is being taken, and at that point the logo formed, it might all just work a little bit better. Even something as simple as the picture freezing at the moment the "photo" is taken, with the oneness caption coming up and then the picture coming back to life as the BBC One logo forms. Further simple effects like turning the picture black and white, but picking out some colour, could at least make it look like some effort has been put in.

P.S. And surely the Exercise Class one doesn't really fit in to the idea of people gathering for a photo.
Shouldn't that have been posted in the "John Logie Baird has Invented Television" thread?
T0M, Nicky and 2 others
  • Worzel
  • ukpetey
gave kudos
MetalGearRex774 posts since 11 May 2016
London London
Now there are four in the set they already look miles better.

Let's not get too carried away.

This stuff is still below the standard of an A-level media studies student.

What a low point for BBC presentation this is.

Even with two new idents entering the servers - it's still nowhere near Rhythm and Movement, the Circles and the excellent balloon. Mountain Rescue and Wheelchair Rugby suffer from the same fundamental problems that befell the set, from the moment it aired at 1am on New Years Day.

Note that the four idents were filmed in November and the rebrand was only hastily announced (albeit internally) in mid-December. There could be a chance - that the ident set can improve, or on the other hand - BBC Creative will continue to dampen BBC ONE pres to bits.
Last edited by MetalGearRex on 11 January 2017 9:57pm - 2 times in total
'What is the only planet capable of sustaining life?'
'Mars.'