The Gallery

BBC One Globe

(January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
A what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of mock.

I guess this is more an exploration of what I might have preferred to follow the balloons. Rather than dropping the globe altogether, returning to a more traditional CGI affair.

I liked the hot air balloon but was always more a fan of the 1991 BBC 1 ident. The balloons were epic and extravagant, something they probably couldn't get away with today. The 1991 ident was equally as epic, but in an understated way, simply fading up in between programmes. It commanded authority.

Ident

I've added a familiar tune to this as I couldn't find something more appropriate - but I like the idea of an ident which forms up to music being used alongside a silent, spinning globe that could be faded up.

Logo on screen throughout promo:

Endboard of promo

Nightly lineup
AG
AxG
I'd suggest using the actual BBC logo.
WH
Whataday Founding member
AxG posted:

Oh for God's sake.
LL
Larry the Loafer
0/10

Not enough Oneness Laughing
BR
Brekkie
Well the rule book has well and truly been thrown out now.

The ident itself does what you intended and is nice enough and better than what is on screen now, but the 1997 style logo just ruins it IMO - would be better with the 2006 version probably.

Also don't think it would have worked as a replacement for the balloon but do think they should have retained the globe to use in place of the clock for introducing news bulletins.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I do like the original 1997 logo and have always found the current one pretty awkward, but here are two versions using that:

BR
Brekkie
Much better IMO - and unlike the current idents the logo is sitting pround centre screen, and the BBC logo is prominent enough too.
Ittr, BBCWalesToday and orange gave kudos
TM
tmorgan96
AxG posted:

Weird opinion, but I appreciate him actually putting in the effort to try to recreate it himself.
MW
Mike W
AxG posted:

Weird opinion, but I appreciate him actually putting in the effort to try to recreate it himself.

The issue is it's hard to recreate as it's actually an inverted weight of Adobe Gill Sans that Lambie-Nairn used, not standard Gill Sans.
NB
NicB1971
Mock 3 is a damn sight better than what's on BBC1 at the moment - it's excellent in my (very humble and amateur) opinion.
CN
ClarkNarvas
Honestly it's too old fashioned.
AA
Aaron_2015
Personally, I feel the whole thing is just too dark. There's lots of black and dark red, which is a bit miserable. Maybe if the background was a lighter red it would look better?

Newer posts