TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HT
HTV Best
Last year's end board used on the trail for tonight's One Show into News at 6. Even more consistency then!!!
BR
Brekkie
Disgusting that BBC One are showing the swimmers ident for a serious programme about loan sharks. Surely the Capes ident would have been more appropriate?

Swimming... sharks...

Guess it fits.

RadioTimes on a viewer's response to BBC ONE idents.

Based on the question I would say the BBC Wales announcer is using a pseudonym.
WI
Wicko
Last year's end board used on the trail for tonight's One Show into News at 6. Even more consistency then!!!

When you look back on BBC presentation, it was only from 1991 - 2001 where consistency in BBC branding has taken place. Even during the Globe era you would have a mixture of branding styles. It was only when Martin Lambie-Nairn took over the branding project in 1991 that across the board branding became the norm.
RE
Rex

WI
Wicko

Let's not forget that This Week and Question Time still use the circle swirl that has been absent since January 2016 - AND a different font!
RE
Rex
Wicko posted:

Let's not forget that This Week and Question Time still use the circle swirl that has been absent since January 2016 - AND a different font!

Children in Need as well last year!
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Wicko posted:
I mentioned the idents to a customer at work and the customer said that they hadn't actually noticed them even though they watched many BBC1 shows. They also said "Well, anything is better than those annoying hippos!"

I'm interested in knowing how BBC One's brand identity come up during a conversation with your customer.
Last edited by scottishtv on 11 January 2017 6:32pm - 2 times in total
NYTV, Joe and Whataday gave kudos
SC
scottishtv Founding member

I'd be very surprised if Gillian really exists. Her question is clearly a plant for the pre-written PR piece. FAKE NEWS. Sad!
WI
Wicko
Wicko posted:
I mentioned the idents to a customer at work and the customer said that they hadn't actually noticed them even though they watched many BBC1 shows. They also said "Well, anything is better than those annoying hippos!"

I'm interesting in knowing how did BBC One's brand identity come up during a conversation with your customer.

One of my customers is obsessed with EastEnders! I have served them in my shop since 2001. As it's a community shop, I get to speak to lots of regulars and know most of them by name and such like. Some like to talk to me about politics, some just like to chat about anything that is in their head that particular day. But this particular customer chats to me about TV and we discussed Sherlock, Let It Shine and of course, EastEnders. It was during the conversation that I said "What do you think about BBC1's new look then?" I deliberately avoided the word "ident" because people usually say "What's that?". But when I asked they answered "What new look? What do you mean?" Then I explained about the idents and they said "Oh, I see! I didn't notice. But I must admit, they must be better than them hippos as they were getting on my nerves!"
LO
lobster
of course it's fake... the bbc is now so thin skinned due to the jimmy saville farce that it now adopts a defensive mode of pig ignorant stubbornness, it will never admit it is wrong about anything....
WH
Whataday Founding member
Disgusting that BBC One are showing the swimmers ident for a serious programme about loan sharks. Surely the Capes ident would have been more appropriate?

Swimming... sharks...

Guess it fits.

RadioTimes on a viewer's response to BBC ONE idents.

Knowing the print deadlines of that issue of the RadioTimes, I'm incredibly suspicious of that letter and response.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Whether the general public care or not is irrelevant. To follow up on the airline example a few pages back, most people choose Ryanair based solely on price, so why do they bother with a consistent brand image? Why not just stuck the Ryanair logo in the side of the planes in Times New Roman or whatever font the graphic designers have to hand at that moment?

Practically any business of a decent size will have a robust brand guidelines document, so a business as high profile as the BBC should have one that stretches over many hundreds of pages.

Newer posts