« Topics
Gluben487 posts since 15 Jan 2004
Anglia (East) Look East
Nice to see this has hit 100 pages!!

The Radio Times shows a photograph of Parr on a stepladder from behind capturing the exercise class, a different photo than we have seen before.

The viewer that has written in praises the idents and finds them intriguing and asks where the idea came from...

Of course they did...urgh...
UBox gave kudos
MetalGearRex654 posts since 11 May 2016
London London

The Radio Times shows a photograph of Parr on a stepladder from behind capturing the exercise class, a different photo than we have seen before.

The viewer that has written in praises the idents and finds them intriguing and asks where the idea came from...

It's damage control - what would you expect?

The amount of people praising the oneness 'idents' is an extremely small amount - it doesn't help that it came after the circles - and it then became hated by viewers, just as what happened in 2002. The difference however was that Rhythm and Movement stayed true to the red motif of ONE, and the production values were good for what it was.

All of what the oneness set suffers from the lack of thereof.
'What is the only planet capable of sustaining life?'
'Mars.'
Gluben487 posts since 15 Jan 2004
Anglia (East) Look East

The amount of people praising the oneness 'idents' is an extremely small amount - it doesn't help that it came after the circles - and it then became hated by viewers, just as what happened in 2002. The difference however was that Rhythm and Movement stayed true to the red motif of ONE, and the production values were good for what it was.

I expected nothing less, but I'm still fed up with it.
mr_vivian278 posts since 11 Oct 2015
UTV Newsline

It'll be an interesting Points Of View episode when it comes on air.

I remember the dancers got burned on POV and yet they still lasted 4 years.

I have a feeling these will be for 2017 only. I'd not be surprised if you'll see an odd hippo in between times too.
Spencer For Hire5,152 posts since 13 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Why is NO one smiling in these other idents, look above, that suppose to be a fun game yet most along with Mountain Rescue look like Southern TV staff on New years eve.

The root problem comes from hiring Parr - he's a photographer, not a cinematographer. The direction in the idents is seriously flawed, not making use of the audiovisual needs of TV, and as a result it's lifeless.

It turns out he made the mockumentary, It's Nice Up North in 2006 featuring the rather wonderful comedy character John Shuttleworth.

It seems that John is as unimpressed with his work as we are, and has some of the same complaints...

Robust amateurism
ukpetey and bilky asko gave kudos
Wicko1,353 posts since 3 Dec 2003
Meridian (South) South Today

Or..........if you put things in perspective, throughout these 100 pages, it is by and large the same dozen or so people letting off discontent over and over again. I was surprised yesterday when I mentioned the idents to a customer at work and the customer said that they hadn't actually noticed them even though they watched many BBC1 shows. They also said "Well, anything is better than those annoying hippos!" I think we have to accept that us lot are more geeky than we realise and outside in the real world, the people who watch telly probably couldn't care less. The idents are intriguing if you actually stop and think about it. But we need to stop assuming that everyone hates them because clearly they don't. And the vocal minority is just that.....a minority who repeats their discontent on ALL forums and via social media. Hands up anyone who has done that just to get someone else to agree with you? That does not mean they are universally disliked. It means we WANT them to be!
I am the Optimistic Goldfish.
tightrope78 and MetalGearRex gave kudos
Markymark4,177 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today

Or..........if you put things in perspective, throughout these 100 pages, it is by and large the same dozen or so people letting off discontent over and over again. I was surprised yesterday when I mentioned the idents to a customer at work and the customer said that they hadn't actually noticed them even though they watched many BBC1 shows. They also said "Well, anything is better than those annoying hippos!" I think we have to accept that us lot are more geeky than we realise and outside in the real world, the people who watch telly probably couldn't care less. The idents are intriguing if you actually stop and think about it. But we need to stop assuming that everyone hates them because clearly they don't. And the vocal minority is just that.....a minority who repeats their discontent on ALL forums and via social media. Hands up anyone who has done that just to get someone else to agree with you? That does not mean they are universally disliked. It means we WANT them to be!

I totally agree. I said right at the beginning, this really isn't on 'ordinary' people's radar, even those that are exposed to every junction from dawn until past dusk, really couldn't give a stuff. I watch between 1 and 2 hours of telly per day, and I've only actually caught the idents 'for real' three or four times since Jan 1st.
MetalGearRex654 posts since 11 May 2016
London London

I concur - the majority of the viewing public won't notice much - and programming is much more important. This is where I can give the BBC praise; programme standards are at a high - especially with the quality of drama increasing. Even though the idents are poor - I doubt people will care. The BBC are known for their world class programmes - something that people are more interested in, and rightly so.

BBC ONE and TWO have improved over the last year - especially thanks to the closure of THREE at least. ONE's standards of drama have increased, whereas TWO is getting the distinctive spark back - something it lost with the launch of Choice and Knowledge, and even more so when those channels morphed to THREE and FOUR. Robot Wars, and the various BBC THREE shows it's obligated to show are proof of this.

With Mountain Rescue (and very much so when it shows, Wheelchair Rugby Team) getting the same flack as Exercise Class and Sea Swimmers did - let's hope that the next batch of unfilmed idents improves.
Last edited by MetalGearRex on 11 January 2017 10:02am - 2 times in total
'What is the only planet capable of sustaining life?'
'Mars.'
UBox, mat76 and 3 others
  • Footballer
  • ukpetey
  • Markymark
gave kudos
globaltraffic24304 posts since 23 Jun 2013
STV Central Reporting Scotland
I would agree and disagree to a point with the comments above. Of course there is going to be more strident opinion on TV presentation within a TV presentation site. However, that doesn't mean that TV presentation has no impact on the public at large. Naturally, if you ask most of them, they probably won't have generated a strong opinion on the new idents. However, I've already noted my mother moaning about seeing 'those blo*dy swimmers all the time' - and not directly to me. It's just one example. I'm sure if you stopped her in the street and asked her for her views on the BBC's idents, she would have no clue what you were talking about, but it doesn't preclude her from having a passive view on how rubbish they are.

That gets me to the point I would really like to make. TV is a medium aimed primarily at a wide, passive audience. It has to try even harder to engage than radio. Therefore, it needs to learn some imaging lessons from radio. Many radio stations continue to adopt the 'sonic id' concept that TV used to embrace. A simple, easy-to-remember melody engages the most passive viewer and has them humming the theme for years. Television in the UK has unfortunately become style-over-substance when it comes to on-air presentation, and that has led to a real dilution of on-screen imagery and, as a previous poster mentioned, brand consistency. On recent visits to Greece and Portugal I was struck by how much more polished the presentation once. It was simple, clean and modern. Our programming is far better, but we really do need to get our acts together with on-screen elements. A couple of basic examples below....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o1zak-zxCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmTAIT2tykY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HViUwa5Lktk
Le Neko gave kudos
Markymark4,177 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today
However, I've already noted my mother moaning about seeing 'those blo*dy swimmers all the time' - and not directly to me. It's just one example. I'm sure if you stopped her in the street and asked her for her views on the BBC's idents, she would have no clue what you were talking about, but it doesn't preclude her from having a passive view on how rubbish they are.

I do agree there will be a sub conscious effect.

Talking of branding, and I'm no expert at all, I'm an engineer, but it's interesting how
the four main mobile phone networks are perceived. I've heard them described as colours,
and it's easy to understand why. Vodafone are red, O2 blue, EE green, and Three white (or furry muppets !).

None of the four main TV channels, have such equivalent instant impulsive branding, BBC 1 comes the closest with a red theme, but News Channel is the same ?)
Last edited by Markymark on 11 January 2017 10:35am
ukpetey gave kudos
elmarko571 posts since 27 Jul 2010
STV Central Reporting Scotland

Talking of branding, and I'm no expert at all, I'm an engineer, but it's interesting how
the four main mobile phone networks are perceived. I've heard them described as colours,
and it's easy to understand why. Vodafone are red, O2 blue, EE green, and Three white (or furry muppets !).

Same with supermarkets.
Markymark gave kudos