TV Home Forum

3, 3e and be3 - Jan 2017 relaunch

The Power of 3 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
3e does look stronger at the moment but be interesting to see it's schedule when it hasn't got Big Brother every night. From what TV3 have said so far though it seems to be more defined than it once was.
CH
chinamug
3e does look stronger at the moment but be interesting to see it's schedule when it hasn't got Big Brother every night. From what TV3 have said so far though it seems to be more defined than it once was.

We do have to give the TV3 group a chance. They claim it's a new beginning and to be fair presentation has improved greatly. Plus Virgin might actually make a go of it, they already made a logical change putting the Chase back on Be3 at six. In the past they would have stubbornly stuck to the plan and not made a change for weeks if not months.
BR
Brekkie
Caps from the News at Seven on Be3. More here at Presentation Archive. What a difference compared to Ireland Live. I really hope TV3 will impress us when they launch their new studio at a later date. Looks like they are using a new desk as well, not sure if it was changed for News at 5.30.

http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/intro-d.jpg
http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/intro-f.jpg
http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/intro-j.jpg
http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/studio-b.jpg

Looks great but that theme is awful - sounds like something off a cheap 90s game show.
Last edited by Brekkie on 9 January 2017 10:39pm
BR
Brekkie
The multi-channel menu as seen here reminds me of this mock rebrand of Ten released a couple of years ago, which executed it much better.

Also surprised that the cross promotion menus are in completely different style on each channel.
PF
PFML84
I would dare say it's more of a blatant rip-off of it. Perhaps someone at TV3 saw this and decided to make something very similar for themselves.
MR
mr_vivian
So this concludes the UTV Ireland saga.

UTV now owned by ITV plc and UTV Ireland is owned by TV3 (The channel it was supposed to beat)
CH
chinamug

UTV now owned by ITV plc and UTV Ireland is owned by TV3 (The channel it was supposed to beat)

To be fair it's John Malone and Virgin that came to the rescue of TV3 and then UTV Ireland. Two basket-cases of stations even though they shouldn't have been if they had actually run their operations correctly. The only true winners here are the ITV group, where they'll get a handsome amount from the TV3 group over the next 10 years with none of the losses.
bkman1990, London Lite and Brekkie gave kudos
MR
mr_vivian

To be fair it's John Malone and Virgin that came to the rescue of TV3 and then UTV Ireland. Two basket-cases of stations even though they shouldn't have been if they had actually run their operations correctly. The only true winners here are the ITV group, where they'll get a handsome amount from the TV3 group over the next 10 years with none of the losses.

Yep. Agree totally. Didn't know the ins and outs.
TT
TellyTime
First of all offering 3e as a bargaining chip is like a man at a poker table offering a fake rolex to stay in a game. The only advantage it has is it's high Epg number. It's offers almost nothing that anyone would want to watch that isn't available elsewhere to the SKY viewer with a much better picture. The only show I can think of that it has is the UFC fighting highlights and nearly everyone who wants to watch that will have done so by the time they pop up on 3e.

As for tuning in ITV on SKY boxes. It would be the very odd household that hasn't done this. When they sell you a SKY box the salespeople point out how to get the various channels from ITV and Channel 5 on other Channels. I've a friend who for a long time used to spend his weekends tuning in the various channels to the other channels for older people. That has come to a stop as everyone now has them on Other Channels. UTV Ireland and TV3 were losing a large amount of viewers to ITV every day in Saorview Households because as soon as the Soaps or Xfactor came on, those households would switch straight over to ITV, either on their Skybox, or on a freesat system or on Freeview if they were within range. The picture on Saorview is shocking when it comes to the TV3 stations. (and TG4)

Obviously This isn't the case when it comes to Virgin Cable viewers, but that's another story entirely. They're having a great 12 months Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

There's plenty of popular content on 3e and be3, much more than on a niche channel like Sky Atlantic.

There've got Big Brother, Celebrity Big Brother, Wentworth Prison, Ninja Warrior, Celebrity Juice, Midsomer Murders, Loose Women, Doc Martin, Endeavour, Grantchester, Benidorm, The Xtra Factor, Get Me Out of Here Now and Britain’s Got More Talent on them.

The idea that the vast majority of Sky viewers will watch these ITV and Channel 5 programmes via Other Channels rather than on TV3/3e/be3 is nonsense, they can't even record them that way!

Sky viewers will soon realise that Virgin Media's customers are getting 3e and be3 in HD and they aren't, and will be complaining to Sky. That's exactly what Virgin Media wants.

Be3 we will have to wait and see as it's obviously still not fully formed. For example showing the chase tonight when it was never scheduled. However, 3e isn't popular. It's all repeats most of the time. When it had no Saorview Carriage it usually had around 1% of Market Share. Once it went on Saorview it increased to between 2 and 3 percent.

Now to be fair it does make a profit for TV3 group (unlike the main station which lost 17 million last year) But it's not a draw to those on satellite. About 60-65% of Households in Ireland have Satellite, either via Sky or freesat. This is not a new development. Most of them have been using other channels and watching HD ITV and other stations for years. That's not going to change, it didn't when UTV Ireland appeared only on SD on Saorview. Even if 3e and be3 appeared on HD SKY in the morning, they're still not showing a lot of ITV shows at the same time. People aren't going to wait a few weeks when their show is on ITV now.

Not been able to record is a pain for those with SKY but there are other ways to get shows they've missed with a high quality picture.

Sky viewers won't be complaining. In fact it's the other way around Virgin viewers complaining about a lack of eir sports, BT sports and now today UTV not being available again because they can't watch Good Morning Britain and Lorraine.

It clearly isn't true that all Sky customers watch ITV and Channel 5 shows via Other Channels rather than on TV3/3e/be3 otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them complaining about the loss of UTV Ireland, their disappointment about a losing UTV Ireland HD and not getting be3 HD, not being able to watch Good Morning Britain and Lorraine, not being able to watch Celebrity Big Brother in HD and so on. So many people timeshift their viewing these days, recording shows and watching them a little bit later so that they can skip the adverts, which isn't possible via Other Channels.
CH
chinamug

There's plenty of popular content on 3e and be3, much more than on a niche channel like Sky Atlantic.

There've got Big Brother, Celebrity Big Brother, Wentworth Prison, Ninja Warrior, Celebrity Juice, Midsomer Murders, Loose Women, Doc Martin, Endeavour, Grantchester, Benidorm, The Xtra Factor, Get Me Out of Here Now and Britain’s Got More Talent on them.

The idea that the vast majority of Sky viewers will watch these ITV and Channel 5 programmes via Other Channels rather than on TV3/3e/be3 is nonsense, they can't even record them that way!

Sky viewers will soon realise that Virgin Media's customers are getting 3e and be3 in HD and they aren't, and will be complaining to Sky. That's exactly what Virgin Media wants.

Be3 we will have to wait and see as it's obviously still not fully formed. For example showing the chase tonight when it was never scheduled. However, 3e isn't popular. It's all repeats most of the time. When it had no Saorview Carriage it usually had around 1% of Market Share. Once it went on Saorview it increased to between 2 and 3 percent.

Now to be fair it does make a profit for TV3 group (unlike the main station which lost 17 million last year) But it's not a draw to those on satellite. About 60-65% of Households in Ireland have Satellite, either via Sky or freesat. This is not a new development. Most of them have been using other channels and watching HD ITV and other stations for years. That's not going to change, it didn't when UTV Ireland appeared only on SD on Saorview. Even if 3e and be3 appeared on HD SKY in the morning, they're still not showing a lot of ITV shows at the same time. People aren't going to wait a few weeks when their show is on ITV now.

Not been able to record is a pain for those with SKY but there are other ways to get shows they've missed with a high quality picture.

Sky viewers won't be complaining. In fact it's the other way around Virgin viewers complaining about a lack of eir sports, BT sports and now today UTV not being available again because they can't watch Good Morning Britain and Lorraine.

It clearly isn't true that all Sky customers watch ITV and Channel 5 shows via Other Channels rather than on TV3/3e/be3 otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them complaining about the loss of UTV Ireland, their disappointment about a losing UTV Ireland HD and not getting be3 HD, not being able to watch Good Morning Britain and Lorraine, not being able to watch Celebrity Big Brother in HD and so on. So many people timeshift their viewing these days, recording shows and watching them a little bit later so that they can skip the adverts, which isn't possible via Other Channels.

No one said all of them, and I'm sure some people will be put out. As I said it is a pain for those that can't record ITV and various other channels on SKY. However, It does seem to be a minority. It's basically no change for those with SKY or Freesat outside of Dublin. The Lack of UTV and UTV Ireland is far more a problem for those with VIrgin who are mostly within the pale. BIg following of Coronation Street in the office I'm in this week (In east cork) , none of them even knew that UTV Ireland had gone off air as they all watch on ITV HD on Sat. (most have freesat systems)

In fact I have seen very few complaints about the end of UTV Ireland, with the two exceptions of their News service and the lack of GMB and Lorraine. Most comments online seem to say good riddance. It was very much unloved because of the loss of UTV Ulster but again most of those comments seem to come from those in Dublin and Virgin Customers.
TT
TellyTime

No one said all of them, and I'm sure some people will be put out. As I said it is a pain for those that can't record ITV and various other channels on SKY. However, It does seem to be a minority. It's basically no change for those with SKY or Freesat outside of Dublin. The Lack of UTV and UTV Ireland is far more a problem for those with VIrgin who are mostly within the pale. BIg following of Coronation Street in the office I'm in this week (In east cork) , none of them even knew that UTV Ireland had gone off air as they all watch on ITV HD on Sat. (most have freesat systems)

In fact I have seen very few complaints about the end of UTV Ireland, with the two exceptions of their News service and the lack of GMB and Lorraine. Most comments online seem to say good riddance. It was very much unloved because of the loss of UTV Ulster but again most of those comments seem to come from those in Dublin and Virgin Customers.

Glad that you've finally acknowledged that some Sky customers are affected by what TV3 does and it's only your opinion that it's a minority. As I originally said some Sky customers will be disappointed that they aren't able to watch 3e and be3 in HD and will complain to Sky, that is exactly what Virgin Media wants as it will help them with future channel negotiations.
CH
chinamug

Glad that you've finally acknowledged that some Sky customers are affected by what TV3 does and it's only your opinion that it's a minority. As I originally said some Sky customers will be disappointed that they aren't able to watch 3e and be3 in HD and will complain to Sky, that is exactly what Virgin Media wants as it will help them with future channel negotiations.

I clarified my earlier point which you missed. Of course some Sky customers are affected but I've yet to meet one, and that's not to say they don't exist, but the people that I'm around either have a set up that suits them or are happy to use the other Channel option. I checked on other boards and most of the main complaints to Sky seem to be that TV3, Be3 and 3e exist! Several people saying that they wouldn't mind those disappearing from the EPG and UTV and the ITV's appearing on it. Not exactly a strong starting position for Virgin Media. The TV3 group of channels are not exactly a premium product. Having said that we'll have to give them a chance to see if they change their ways. Some of their presentation changes are positive after years of a very poor look.

Newer posts