« Topics
ukpetey14 posts since 10 Nov 2013
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Take a look at this:

from https://twitter.com/paulreas

looks like that camera shake might just be baked in.... if you had a suspicion it looked like it was being filmed by an "old man on steps".... then, well... erm....

the magic of television, eh?

Look at the size of that crew for what they got!

Amazing to think so many people are involved in the production of something I could have made on my iPhone, alone. No wonder there's no budget left to actually make something creative.... Shocked
TROGGLES gave kudos
tomo359836 posts since 18 Oct 2009
Border (England)
Seeing all those people involved (and there may have even been more people out of shot) makes the end product even worse! Why does it take so many people to create what we've got? I actually can't work out what everyone would have been doing? Camera operator, sound operator, director, who else is really needed? I guess some sort of public relations person managing the people featured in the idents. So that's four people, I can see seven in the picture, and possible someone stood behind the ladders.
TROGGLES and Whataday gave kudos
D.Page686 posts since 30 Oct 2013
London London
for the camera geeks, it looks like a Canon 5D (MK3?) with a 24-70 2.8 lens (lens doesn't look big enough to be the 16-35 2.8... but hard to tell).

Very hard to tell which lens, there's more than one L series lens that could look like that (it certainly isn't the 24-70 f/4.0 L, which I have myself, along with a 5D MK II), but my guess is they're using a 5D MK IV. Would have thought they would be using the latest incarnation.
Wicko1,358 posts since 3 Dec 2003
Meridian (South) South Today
How many people feature in the "capes" ident? If all of them got paid £60 plus "fed well", it gives you an idea as to how much some idents can cost to make. It is therefore no surprise that the BBC have gone simpler. Although a CGI image wouldn't need paying at all - only the person who created it, and only once!
I am the Optimistic Goldfish.
gottago2,358 posts since 26 Aug 2004
London London
How many people feature in the "capes" ident? If all of them got paid £60 plus "fed well", it gives you an idea as to how much some idents can cost to make. It is therefore no surprise that the BBC have gone simpler. Although a CGI image wouldn't need paying at all - only the person who created it, and only once!

A few £60s are pittance in TV terms. The BBC airs a range of promos throughout the year that would cost significantly more than the current set of idents, even though they're only on screen for a matter of weeks. I think they could have spent a lot more money on a new set of idents than people think but they've simply made a poor decision on the artistic direction of the new set.
Brekkie and dbl gave kudos
Inspector Sands10,303 posts since 25 Aug 2004
There's obviously not as many as can be seen at the end of the ident (that shot was almost certainly done in the edit) in the real shot with the most cyclists in it there's 40 at the most.

Even if they employed 50 at £60 each, that's £3000 and a bit extra for the catering. That's not much in telly terms, I doubt they even hired the cameras for that
Charlie Wells3,533 posts since 26 Nov 2003 Moderator
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Take a look at this:

from https://twitter.com/paulreas

looks like that camera shake might just be baked in.... if you had a suspicion it looked like it was being filmed by an "old man on steps".... then, well... erm....

the magic of television, eh?

Just a pity they couldn't afford a tripod, or even a monopod.
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer