TV Home Forum

How can BBC1 create a decent presentation?

Its now at a complete lost in its identity. (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
JAS84 posted:
So, because we now have bad idents, you think the channel as a whole is bad? That brings to mind the 1986 TWO ident. When it got replaced by the first set of 2s in 1991, people thought the channel was cooler and more modern all of a sudden, rather than high brow. But it's programmes were still the same!

I think identity helps to boost a channel though. I think Dave has one of the strongest brands on British television at the moment. It's self-aware, knows its place, and has a very well thought-out strategy on marketing itself. Every element of its presentation tells you exactly what sort of channel it is, and I think it thrives because of that. If it had an identity like Watch's (fancy but meaningless idents etc, no sense of humour) I don't think their viewers would have such a fondness of it, nor would Dave be as widely known and acknowledged as it is. Most of its shows, not necessarily its own commissions, feel justified when its paired with Dave's presentation.
VM
VMPhil
JAS84 posted:
So, because we now have bad idents, you think the channel as a whole is bad? That brings to mind the 1986 TWO ident. When it got replaced by the first set of 2s in 1991, people thought the channel was cooler and more modern all of a sudden, rather than high brow. But it's programmes were still the same!

Well… isn't that the point we're all making? A good identity reflects on the channel as a whole. Carlton hardly made any good programmes yet the 1999-2002 idents are some of my favourite pieces of TV graphic design ever made.
:-(
A former member
Its surprising no one has been able to to suggest anything to create a decent brand.
JB
JasonB
Its surprising no one has been able to to suggest anything to create a decent brand.

Give it time, the gallery will be full of BBC One rebrand ideas soon! Wink
A former member

Give it time, the gallery will be full of BBC One rebrand ideas soon! Wink

And when people start saying OOOh "can you REALLY see that on BBC One? " and the reply will be of course, just look at current crop Shocked
GL
Gluben

I did suggest something in the other thread:

MR
mr_vivian
1. Keep it simple. Number 1 rule.

2. Make a memerable logo and stick with it. If it dates.. you've not done a good job.

3. The Logo and idents should aim to describe the tone of the Channel's content

4. Never do what has been done before on any other channel ever.. it's like a dress.. it doesn't look good on everyone

5. Always do your research. Find out what the viewers think the channel represents which could be just a programme

I'm not an expert.... but I think those are the core unwritten common sense rules in my opinion.
tmorgan96, ToasterMan and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
BR
Brekkie

Ironically had the BBC put something half decent out they'd be loads of us here thinking we could do something better, or at least refine what they've done to make it even better.

However what they have done is put out something so uninspiring that even the most creative of mockers are, well, uninspired.
JO
Jonny
So...

You are the Director of BBC Television, Online Content and Snapchat Integration. You want to create an ident set based around the ambiguous theme of "Oneness", translating as "groups of people doing things together".

Well, for a start you need an easy to identify symbol, something that can relay your brand personality, that people can attach emotion to, that... no? I think you're making a mis... really, no? OK then...

So, you do want it to naturalistically capture Britain in 2017. You want those images to be the sole focus and as such represent your entire channel brand. On the cheap if possible. Hmm.

Aurora. Broad sweep of generations gather to see the Northern Lights. Unfolding chairs, sitting on their cars, lying out on snazzy picnic blankets, well wrapped up warm, some suddenly point to the sky, camera pans up, spectacular lights show - BBC Oneness.

Stonehenge. People assemble to witness the sun rise at Stonehenge. Embracing the light, the sun gradually rises to reveal the majesty of the sculpture (and the BBC One logo).

Angel of the North. Day trippers abound. Kids imitate the angel, hug the sculpture, artsy kids sketch it, some play football, others fly kites, offer a sacrifice to the angel... you get it.

Otters. Down the river wildlife spotting, different folks from different strokes caring for the surrounding area, binoculars out, childish wonder, oh look - some camera-friendly otters (if 50p spare, CG so they have white gloves and casually wink to camera).

Canary Wharf. Commuters in motion, blurred rush of passing businesspeople walking to their offices. News safe. If shot at the appropriate hours of the day, could include variants that pan up to the clocks that featured in the 2003 News 24 countdown. Change location for national and regional variants.

Sound: BBC Orchestra utilised, understated, atmospheric, consistent signature hook.

Cinematography: in the style of the Christmas Day idents.

Theme: realistically disparate people of 2017 being brought together through a common purpose/event, seen through the lens of BBC One.
GE
George12345
I think it would be better doing a BBC 2 and deliving back into the past. Instead there just thrown together a bunch of awfulness Idents with a lack of identity and creativity. Obviously the Christmas ones were received as being not too bad. My interpretation of it it's as if it's just be thrown together in a day.

They wouldn't dare to use it in a serious event probably just a slide then into the news think they've learned their lesson there
WI
Wicko
I think it would be better doing a BBC 2 and deliving back into the past. Instead there just thrown together a bunch of awfulness Idents with a lack of identity and creativity. Obviously the Christmas ones were received as being not too bad. My interpretation of it it's as if it's just be thrown together in a day.

They wouldn't dare to use it in a serious event probably just a slide then into the news think they've learned their lesson there

As I mentioned earlier, 2017 is the 90 years anniversary of the Corporation. They could very easily use the anniversary to link Oneness via a corny PR statement from Charlotte Moore and just use three months of the year Feb - April to show classic balloons idents with the BBC at 90 tagline under BBC One. They could always still animate "Oneness" until a new ident package is properly unveiled after the three month stint. That would be a good way of saving face!
Quatorzine Neko and Rkolsen gave kudos
A former member
Maybe there could do a bbc four and have four differnt ident in boxes at once? With tagline oneness

Newer posts