The Gallery

Which laptops are good for casual mockers?

For someone wanting to get into mocking but only as a hobby (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TG
Tim Goodwin1
Hello,

I am interested in making mocks in my free time and am looking at new laptops (preferably pc not mac) to do this on. In turn, I would like some suggestions of which laptops would be good for this and for me as someone who is just doing this as a hobby.

In addition, it will be interesting to find out which laptops you use for your mocks.
BA
Bail Moderator
Literally anything you can afford and has other uses for you. Any software, free or paid can make good mocks if you put time and effort into them. Have a read of this guide here for more tips. http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thegallery/guide-mocking-33033/
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The software is more important than the actual laptop, as the saying goes a workman is only as good as his tools. He can drive a dilapidated old van but as long as he comes and fixes whatever I've called him out for, that's the key thing. Likewise you can use any desktop or laptop computer (the van) with the tools (the software).

If you intend to make video mocks it may be worth looking at a desktop as opposed to a laptop. But for standalone images, any laptop and associated software will do.
TG
Tim Goodwin1
Thanks for your suggestions and advice. Maybe I will look at software as that is the most important.

I do have a wireless keyboard for my laptop which I link to my TV screen, so without trying to sound daft, is it a good idea to mock on a TV screen by this manner?
CN
ClarkNarvas
Thanks for your suggestions and advice. Maybe I will look at software as that is the most important.

I do have a wireless keyboard for my laptop which I link to my TV screen, so without trying to sound daft, is it a good idea to mock on a TV screen by this manner?

Yup. It would be the same experience as using a monitor to mock.

13 days later

TG
Tim Goodwin1
thanks for all your replies, I have another question about copyright issues and mocks. Do you need to ask permission from the companies to use their logos before making a mock or an applemask style critique of an ident? Or can you just put references in the video description?
CN
ClarkNarvas
thanks for all your replies, I have another question about copyright issues and mocks. Do you need to ask permission from the companies to use their logos before making a mock or an applemask style critique of an ident? Or can you just put references in the video description?

dude, i'm below 16 and I don't do that. You don't need to ask permission unless your making money from it.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
You don't need to ask permission from the BBC/ITV/Channel 4/Sky to use their logo for the purposes of a mock because it will probably fall under fair use and as long as you don't gain financially from it, you should be okay.

It's no different really to if you did drawings as a kid with pencil and paper recreating the ATV Eye as a doodle while bored at the back of a maths class. That's technically a mock.

Don't try and do a CWilliams - this is defined as presenting some half-baked and often anachronism-packed creation/abomination as crystal-clear fact when it isn't. So if you do mock a video and use YouTube to host them, that's fine but please label them as being Mocks.
DO
dosxuk
You don't need to ask permission from the BBC/ITV/Channel 4/Sky to use their logo for the purposes of a mock because it will probably fall under fair use and as long as you don't gain financially from it, you should be okay.

We don't really have fair-use in the UK (not like they do in the US where you can claim virtually anything is fair use as a reason to ignore copyright), and unauthorised use of broadcasters logos is not only breaking copyright rules, but trademarking ones too.

On the other hand, the broadcasters aren't going to care about it if you're just a school kid making stuff in your spare time - unless you do something that brings their name into disrepute. Not making money wouldn't be a factor if you got something to go viral which caused lawyers to become aware of your work.
TG
Tim Goodwin1

Don't try and do a CWilliams - this is defined as presenting some half-baked and often anachronism-packed creation/abomination as crystal-clear fact when it isn't. So if you do mock a video and use YouTube to host them, that's fine but please label them as being Mocks.

Kieran Knowles used to do that with ad breaks.

Newer posts