TV Home Forum

BBC One 2016 Christmas Presentation

Viewers introduce Christmas Day shows (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SD
SuperDave
I've enjoyed today's efforts. Kudos too for the continuity announcer (sorry don't know his name) of injecting some personality into his links - loved the 'sweet anyone?' earlier this afternoon...
DP
D.Page
I agree - the initial idents we got at the start of December were poor in production values but did the job of communicating the idea of Christmas and spending time with family and friends.

These idents, while only being on air for today - are much, much better.

So, these are not poor in production value? The mind boggles.

They are far superior and thought has clearly been put into each one - they're not just random folk in random locations introducing random shows.

The main idents have the feeling of somebody forgetting to make the Xmas idents and having to find something that'll do the job an hour before the deadline.

How much thought does it take to stick a group of people together with a few Corgis and say 'now on BBC1'?

Paper Hat is pants, and Jumper is not much better, but I rather like Pudding, and Bauble while being very simplistic, has nice bokeh.
:-(
A former member
Ive just notice there have local versions of the idents. Im starting to like the idents but there remind me of the recently Ch4 voices.
RE
Rex
Back to the usual Christmas idents at the 11pm junction.
JO
Josh
Ive just notice there have local versions of the idents. Im starting to like the idents but there remind me of the recently Ch4 voices.

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1036147#post-1036147

Great minds think alike.
ST
Stuart
Todays efforts have been much better than the rest of the Christmas package. These sort of idents are easy to get wrong but they got them right.

I agree - the initial idents we got at the start of December were poor in production values but did the job of communicating the idea of Christmas and spending time with family and friends.

These idents, while only being on air for today - are much, much better.

The pesky idents grew on me over time. They weren't THAT bad. Shocked
IS
Inspector Sands

How much thought does it take to stick a group of people together with a few Corgis and say 'now on BBC1'?

You'd be surprised. If it's to be done well it does take quite a bit of thought and preparation. Of course you can just walk into somewhere herd everyone round a camera and get someone to read from a cue card.... but it will look ****.

The Xmas day intros were very slick and well produced, they definitely had some thought put into them.
dbl, Brekkie and Custard56 gave kudos
DP
D.Page

You'd be surprised. If it's to be done well it does take quite a bit of thought and preparation. Of course you can just walk into somewhere herd everyone round a camera and get someone to read from a cue card.... but it will look ****.

The Xmas day intros were very slick and well produced, they definitely had some thought put into them.

Not anywhere near as much thought and preparation as shooting an ident such as Pudding, for example.

The multitude of items on the table, far from just seemingly scattered randomly about, have been arranged far more carefully than you may think. The pudding needs to be precisely aligned so that the camera can zoom into it and be precisely in the centre of the frame. Whether or not this gets properly aligned while in post, with a more loose camera shot at the time of shooting, is irrelevant. It still needs very careful preparation and attention to detail.

The actors, especially the children, will need to be fairly good for their age to pull their facial and bodily expressions and deliver their dialogue in a natural, believable way.

Any reflective surfaces, such as glasses, need to be carefully checked so that they don't show any of the lightning equipment, cameras etc.
I could go on.
Last edited by D.Page on 26 December 2016 10:45am - 2 times in total
WH
Whataday Founding member

Not anywhere near as much thought and preparation as shooting an ident such as Pudding, for example.

The multitude of items on the table, far from just seemingly scattered randomly about, has been arranged carefully. The pudding needs to be precisely aligned so that the camera can zoom into it and be precisely in the centre of the frame. Whether or not this gets properly aligned while in post, with a more loose camera shot at the time of shooting, is irrelevant. It still needs very careful preparation and attention to detail.

The actors, especially the children, will need to be fairly good for their age to pull their facial and bodily expressions and deliver their dialogue in a natural, believable way.

I could go on.

Go and film mainly static objects alongside professional, mute actors on a set. And then go out on location and record a group of regular people with dialogue. And then come back and tell me what takes the most effort.
DP
D.Page

The multitude of items on the table, far from just seemingly scattered randomly about, has been arranged carefully. The pudding needs to be precisely aligned so that the camera can zoom into it and be precisely in the centre of the frame. Whether or not this gets properly aligned while in post, with a more loose camera shot at the time of shooting, is irrelevant. It still needs very careful preparation and attention to detail.

I could go on.

Go and film mainly static objects alongside professional, mute actors on a set. And then go out on location and record a group of regular people with dialogue. And then come back and tell me what takes the most effort.

Come back and tell you? Do you really think I would take notice of anyone who would put it in such a forceful, almost arrogant way?
:-(
A former member
It's Christmas!
WH
Whataday Founding member
I don't believe I was arrogant. I was merely suggesting that you haven't full considered the amount of preparation needed for the Oneness intros.

Arrogance would be to say you haven't got a clue what you're on about and I have.

Newer posts