The Newsroom

BBC World News from New Broadcasting House

14th January 2013 - The Worlds Newsroom (January 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Well, they had no problem with Christmas at the end of Newsday today. They did a feature on a manufactured-snow tourist attraction in Singapore - given that's the only way to find any snow there. The programme then finished with 'Hark! The Herald Angels Sing' sung by some AUP (Adventist University of the Philippines) Chamber Singers. Very festive!

bkman1990 and London Lite gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
In light of the Breaking News out of Milan (Berlin attacker shot) BBC World News have now joined the News Channel with Reeta Chakrabarti and Chris Rogers.
NE
News96
And now the NC have switched to Tim Willcox on World to cover both this and the other major breaking story (A Hijacked Plane being forced to land in Malta.)
HA
harshy Founding member
a516 posted:
So, we are now into Studio Cs most intense period of usage of the year.
24/7 usage for the next 2 to 3 weeks while the Studio B programmes are on holiday, although a lot of 5 minute summaries and prerecorded features it still needs to be available and staffed for a major breaking incident.

Interestingly BBC World News still has GMT, Impact and Focus on Africa, but just from C this week. Global isn't there, leaving a 90 minute block of BBC World News with Matthew Amroliwala.

Also: "This Week in History" breakfiller at 1715 and 1815GMT is still last week's edition.

I got to admit those branded shows look much better in Studio C, there's so much you can do with that studio and BBC World News knows how to get the best out of these studios using these fantastic colour schemes that these branded programmes use.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Why do they look better in C? Can B not do the same colour effects?
JK
John Koenig
In the background of BBC News, the screens at the back appear to be showing a white Christmas tree with a red background, but it's out of focus.
RK
Rkolsen
Why do they look better in C? Can B not do the same colour effects?

I got to admit those branded shows look much better in Studio C, there's so much you can do with that studio and BBC World News knows how to get the best out of these studios using these fantastic colour schemes that these branded programmes use.

I can see what you mean. I think it may have to do with the lighting. The overall studio is much brighter with light boxes throughout.
CH
Charles
I've long said that Studio B is a really unpleasant environment for television. Just take a look here (screengrab thanks to ginnyfan):

What makes it look so poor is how much dark, wasted space can be seen in most of the shots. The matte finish on the floor looks so dull. It would have looked so much better with a glossy finish that could have reflected the set. Secondly, while the studio is large and rather high, the set doesn't really use the height to its potential. That means there's a lot of darkness above it, and because all the monitors on that side of the set are spaced pretty far apart, many of the shots have to show a lot of black at the top and the bottom of the screen. And I'm fine with lightboxes and colorful sets, but the LED lighting isn't very well focused on anything, so it looks really washed out while also letting off that cold blue that LEDs are prone to do. Lastly, the two parts of the set are completely disjointed. Aside from Victoria Live (I think), most of the shows tend to stick to either one side or the other. That just seems like a wasted opportunity for such a large studio. Imagine what they could have done had the set been designed as one large environment rather than two mostly separate ones.

Then compare that to Studio C. While it's much smaller, you don't see very much of a dull floor at all, the set is built to its proper height, the monitors all have more definition to them than in B, and all the lightboxes let off a warmer and more focused glow. I also think the fact that it's circular and features those crazy cameras on rails means that while there are fewer shots overall, they are all lit properly and all have great depth of field.

I think one of the best examples of C looking its greatest is for Hardtalk. Had they moved it from A to B, they probably would have set up the show in front of the big video wall, and there wouldn't have been very much to look at. But in C, the show has a very nice two-shot of Stephen and the guest, and then the guest has a really nice, clean backdrop of one of the huge monitors from behind. The desk is a little awkward for an interview show, but it still works really well.
Last edited by Charles on 26 December 2016 6:19am - 3 times in total
Mouseboy33, harshy and Rkolsen gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
I've long said that Studio B is a really unpleasant environment for television. Just take a look here (screengrab thanks to ginnyfan):

You just described what I was thinking.

On an unrelated note why are the astons on recorded programs such as those on Reporters, Africa Business Report and the weekly compilation of Newsnight not flush with the ticker? Some recorded programs have it where it is properly slighted where others are a several pixels higher where it is visibly noticeable.

Also a while back I asked how are commercial breaks and other things handled by Ericsson's playout. I'm wondering if the brief bumper between the bottom of the hour headlines and World Business Report that where the announcer says "Now on BBC World News your daily briefing on business and economics from the worlds financial centers. From New Broadcasting House in London World Business Report." is played out by the gallery or Ericsson? It seems like it would be easiest if it came from the gallery.
NG
noggin Founding member

On an unrelated note why are the astons on recorded programs such as those on Reporters, Africa Business Report and the weekly compilation of Newsnight not flush with the ticker? Some recorded programs have it where it is properly slighted where others are a several pixels higher where it is visibly noticeable.

Long-form pre-recorded shows will have the graphics burned in, rather than played out live from a studio Viz engine. Chances are the graphics that are burned in aren't quite correctly aligned, or during ingest for server playout, or recording, they may have moved (less likely now shows are more likely to be delivered as HD files rather than on SD tape as was the case years ago)

These days you'd think edits would have pixel accurate lower third graphics, and would be able to deliver with no horizontal or vertical shift, but I think some shows have 'DIY' captions made by the editor... And in some cases recording may not be perfectly timed vertically...
Last edited by noggin on 26 December 2016 11:15am
DE
deejay
Perhaps you're only used to seeing studio B lit in the Victoria Derbyshire or Newsnight styles, which are predominantly blue. The set looks pretty vibrant when used on some of the other BBC World branded programmes.

http://kessbentv.com/ktv-data/2014/10/tomi-oladepo-1024x576.jpg
tmorgan96 and Stuart gave kudos
CH
Charles
That's true that Focus on Africa and Impact do look good from there. I think that's partly because of the warmer palette, but also because that side takes advantage of the height of the studio, it's on less of a curve than the other side, and the riser gives a little more to look at, so there's a lot less black to be seen. But perhaps as a fairer comparison, take a look at the editions of World News from B vs. from C. World News looks pretty dull from B, whereas it's very flexible and perfectly warm in C.

Newer posts