TV Home Forum

BBC1 to drop Saturday night Lottery draws

(November 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Not really two hours late, it's been on at around 10 o'clock for the last few weeks
SW
Steve Williams
Not really two hours late, it's been on at around 10 o'clock for the last few weeks

Last few years, really. Certainly more freqently than it's been at eight o'clock.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Deadly Alancoat joined Gaby at the end of last night's draw for a very brief send-off after 22 years on the same show!

uktvwatcher and watchingtv gave kudos
WA
watchingtv
Im surprised they have been able make reference to it, incase people think the Lottery is finished altogether. Gaby introduced the show as the last National Lottery Live.
BR
Brekkie
I guess automated Alan will live on in the online draws.

Will be interesting to see if it has any impact on sales - you'd imagine it will as 10 minutes of primetime Saturday night exposure on BBC1 is literally something money can't buy. Imagine they'll be headlines in the Mail and The Sun in the months ahead of how the BBC axing the draw is costing good causes millions.

And with talk in other threads about how BBC1 can't afford a dozen or so decent 30-second idents financially it still makes little sense to me. As much as I'd rather have something like Taboo on a Saturday night than another Nick Knowles quiz I don't see how the cost difference can be justified - it's got to be adding hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Saturday night budget.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
A slight shame they didn't bring back the fantastic old music for the draw sequence for one last time
GW
GarWill99
Is anyone aware of the future of the Lottery shows such as In it to win it, Who dares wins etc. I don't see any reason why these shows should be cancelled, they could be carried on and just do without the lotto bit! Smile
BR
Brekkie
Who Dares Win has definately been recommissioned, but don't know about the rest.
CA
Cando
Is anyone aware of the future of the Lottery shows such as In it to win it, Who dares wins etc. I don't see any reason why these shows should be cancelled, they could be carried on and just do without the lotto bit! Smile

Brekkie is correct, the rest are in limbo according to Broadcast
NG
noggin Founding member

And with talk in other threads about how BBC1 can't afford a dozen or so decent 30-second idents financially it still makes little sense to me. As much as I'd rather have something like Taboo on a Saturday night than another Nick Knowles quiz I don't see how the cost difference can be justified - it's got to be adding hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Saturday night budget.

Wasn't the closure - sorry moving online - of BBC Three announced as a way of shunting significant amounts in to BBC One drama?
DV
dvboy
Who Dares Win has definately been recommissioned, but don't know about the rest.

At least they now have more flexibility with scheduling.
RE
Rex

Wasn't the closure - sorry moving online - of BBC Three announced as a way of shunting significant amounts in to BBC One drama?

Yes - £50 million to be plunged into a well funded area of BBC ONE.

If you were really wanting to spend savings on closing down BBC THREE, at least instead use it for BBC TWO to allow it to gain back its distinctive personality. Something that's been lost with the launches of the BBC digital channels, and BBC ONE poaching some of TWO's best content.

Newer posts