The Newsroom

Mark Austin leaves ITN

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
RT?

He's a journalist, so I think that's unlikely.
NE
newsman1
RT?

You're having a laugh! He said at the end of the Evening News on Thursday that unbiased news coverage is in demand more than ever!
BS
Ben Shatliff
RT?

What is RT? Excuse my ignorance. I know my abbreviations on here but unfamiliar with RT.
CR
Critique
Russia Today, I believe.
BS
Ben Shatliff
Russia Today, I believe.

Thanks for that. Would he really go there?
NE
News96
The simple Answer-No.
NG
noggin Founding member
RT?

What is RT? Excuse my ignorance. I know my abbreviations on here but unfamiliar with RT.

RT is the channel formerly known as Russia Today.

It's a branch of TV Novosti (and I think TV Novosti is now increasingly branded as RT internationally). TV Novosti is part of RIA Novosti. It is widely seen as a propaganda outlet for the Kremlin and has had a number of Ofcom rulings against it due to biased broadcasting. It's a mouthpiece for Putin, not a proper news channel. Working there is likely to be the kiss of death to any journalist's career...
JK
John Koenig
RT has some pretty good people presenter wise. RT are also pretty quick to report on things, where as Sky and BBC will take another 10 minutes. As for propaganda, I think they all play that game.
LL
London Lite Founding member
RT is where impressionable young Western journalists go to get their first step on the ladder, if your career is on it's last leg or a Putin apologist.
MA
Markymark
RT is where impressionable young Western journalists go to get their first step on the ladder, if your career is on it's last leg or a Putin apologist.

It is extraordinary it's permitted terrestrial spectrum here. It took over twenty years of procrastination, debate, and reviews for C4 to arrive. Today, any old crap is granted a licence to broadcast, on what is a finite (and reducing) resource.
NG
noggin Founding member
As for propaganda, I think they all play that game.

Seriously - they don't. Sky, ITN and BBC are as far away from RT journalistically as it is possible to be.

RT is propaganda - clever propaganda, but propaganda nonetheless. Sky, ITN and the BBC are editorially independent of the UK govt, not a mouthpiece for it.
RE
Rex

It is extraordinary it's permitted terrestrial spectrum here. It took over twenty years of procrastination, debate, and reviews for C4 to arrive. Today, any old crap is granted a licence to broadcast, on what is a finite (and reducing) resource.

And yet other news channels such as CNN and Euronews don't have a place on the UK's DTT platform.

RT is Putin propaganda at its finest.

Newer posts