TV Home Forum

BBC One 2016 Christmas Presentation

Viewers introduce Christmas Day shows (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Only caught the end of it but the gold bauble did look better than the red, even if it is off brand, but the text tacked on to it looked rather tacky.
DP
D.Page
Only caught the end of it but the gold bauble did look better than the red, even if it is off brand, but the text tacked on to it looked rather tacky.

What slightly puzzles me is the gold version's subtitles flag (wtih the Nations that use one) appears almost immediately (there's a delay with the regular version, which I think works better), and its font is also quite different.
CR
Critique
In years past I seem to remember BBC One was quite good at joining the NC at the top or the bottom of the hour fairly seamlessly, so it's a shame they didn't manage it tonight. It wasn't scheduled to be anyway, but as SPOTY overran by ten minutes, the switch to the NC was rescheduled to 1am. One trailer too many however and they joined halfway through the headlines. They played out a short version of the standard news titles before fading into the headlines, which on Newsday aren't that long, so they must have missed it by only a few seconds. Perhaps one less trailer (or even just a shorter one), and a long ident, and they'd have nicely hit the TOTH.
MM
MMcG198
In years past I seem to remember BBC One was quite good at joining the NC at the top or the bottom of the hour fairly seamlessly, so it's a shame they didn't manage it tonight. It wasn't scheduled to be anyway, but as SPOTY overran by ten minutes, the switch to the NC was rescheduled to 1am. One trailer too many however and they joined halfway through the headlines. They played out a short version of the standard news titles before fading into the headlines, which on Newsday aren't that long, so they must have missed it by only a few seconds. Perhaps one less trailer (or even just a shorter one), and a long ident, and they'd have nicely hit the TOTH.

BBC One Northern Ireland (director Roy Willighan) joined Newsday perfectly at the top of the hour - preceded by the usual BBC News sting.
CR
Critique
Forgot the nations do their own thing! Indeed, they got it bang on, as to be expected - I would moan that the standard BBC News titles seem a bit odd directly before the Newsday titles and branding but as they made the effort I'll let them off.

Scotland had a slightly different schedule due to having to fit Sportscene in, meaning they signed off 55 minutes later. They used the old BBC News ident, aka this one (albeit with the music that they actually used on it back in the day, rather than the version Lambie-Nairn have on this verson):

Seems a bit odd that they chose it, but what was worse is the fact that they joined right at the end of Sport Today, with about 30 seconds left on the programme. They then went to the weather (directly after Weatherview), making it a bit clunky. I would have suggested that Sportscene could have got a extra five minutes as it was live and would have tidied the schedule up, but I appreciate that no-one really cares besides us lot! Wales meanwhile crashed in halfway through the headlines (even more clunkily than network who at least managed to not join mid-sentence!), but did give the bauble ident a full play-out, and had a nice sign-off with a namecheck from the CA and everything.
MM
MMcG198
Scotland had a slightly different schedule due to having to fit Sportscene in, meaning they signed off 55 minutes later. They used the old BBC News ident, aka this one (albeit with the music that they actually used on it back in the day, rather than the version Lambie-Nairn have on this verson)...

I'm not sure why BBC Scotland has continued to use that old sting.

Seems a bit odd that they chose it, but what was worse is the fact that they joined right at the end of Sport Today, with about 30 seconds left on the programme. They then went to the weather (directly after Weatherview), making it a bit clunky. I would have suggested that Sportscene could have got a extra five minutes as it was live and would have tidied the schedule up, but I appreciate that no-one really cares besides us lot!

Well, there's such a thing as pride in one's work. The junctions into BBC News Channel on BBC One tend to differentiate those who give a toss about what they're doing and those that do not. Personally, I find the practice of crashing abruptly into News Channel quite annoying/unprofessional. The scenario where BBC One viewers are taken from Weather for the Week Ahead directly into another weather bulletin on joining the News Channel is an all too common one. That's a situation that BBC One playout should be told to avoid. Doesn't matter if the time happens to be 12.27am or 3.27am.

Wales meanwhile crashed in halfway through the headlines (even more clunkily than network who at least managed to not join mid-sentence!), but did give the bauble ident a full play-out, and had a nice sign-off with a namecheck from the CA and everything.

Still doesn't excuse the botched transition from BBC One to News Channel. BBC NI got it spot on. There's no reason why Network and Wales couldn't have managed the same result.
Last edited by MMcG198 on 19 December 2016 7:00pm
AS
Asa Admin
Interestingly on Friday night NI finished later and ran to 2am with a few trails but then faded into the News Channel countdown with 18secs to go. Thought it would have been nicer to either run the ident longer and exactly to the top of the hour or add a sting, but it's a minor qualm Very Happy
MM
MMcG198
Asa posted:
Interestingly on Friday night NI finished later and ran to 2am with a few trails but then faded into the News Channel countdown with 18secs to go. Thought it would have been nicer to either run the ident longer and exactly to the top of the hour or add a sting, but it's a minor qualm Very Happy

Yep - saw that myself. That could so easily have been slicker than it was. I won't hide the fact that I'm not a fan of the director/announcer who was on duty that evening but this transition to News Channel was still acceptable and far preferable to what has been described above from Network, Scotland and Wales.
JK
JKDerry
Just to deviate a bit. Christmas Day prime time television in the USA is just utterly dreadful. We moan about how BBC One, ITV etc fill their Christmas Night schedules, here below is a look at what is on NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX on Sunday 25th December 2016. Their prime time runs from 7.00pm-11.00pm, and these are from the owned and operated stations in New York City, which sets the schedules for all stations prime time line up.

NBC - 7.00pm Football Night in America. 8.00pm Sunday Night Football Live 11.30pm Local News

CBS - 7.00pm 60 Minutes 8.00pm I Love Lucy Christmas Special (from the 1950s but now oin Colour) 9.00pm The Dick Van Dyke Show in Colour (from the 1960s) 10.00pm Magyver (repeat)

ABC - 5.00pm NBA Basketball Live 8.00pm Film, Beauty and the Beast 10.00pm Speechless (sitcom, repeat of their Christmas episode which aired on 14th December 2016) 10.30pm Black-ish (sitcom, repeat of their Christmas episode which aired on 14th December 2016). 11.00pm Local News.

FOX - 7.00pm Bob's Burgers (double bill repeats of animated sitcom) 8.00pm The Simpsons (repeat of "The Nightmare after Krustmas" which aired on 11th December 2016). 8.30pm Son of Zorror (repeat) 9.00pm Family Guy (repeat) 9.30pm The Last Man on Earth (repeat) 10.00pm Local News

Now, we thought we had it bad. The US networks just ignore Christmas Day. All their Christmas specials (if any) seem to always air before Christmas Eve.
JA
james-2001
Earlier today my mum was telling me how Christmas day TV was always based around the "big film", which was always exciting as it was your first chance to see it since it had been in the cinema several years earlier. Obviously in these days of DVDs, Blu-Rays, Netflix, etc.s, it's become largely irrelevant as people who are interested will likely already have had a copy of the film for a good couple of years and seen it several times before it even makes it to terrestrial TV.
JA
JAS84
NVM - post I was replying to has been reposted in a more appropriate place.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Earlier today my mum was telling me how Christmas day TV was always based around the "big film", which was always exciting as it was your first chance to see it since it had been in the cinema several years earlier. Obviously in these days of DVDs, Blu-Rays, Netflix, etc.s, it's become largely irrelevant as people who are interested will likely already have had a copy of the film for a good couple of years and seen it several times before it even makes it to terrestrial TV.

I guess the big Doctor Who episode a few years ago when they put David Tennant on the ident is as close as we get to that now.

Newer posts