The Newsroom

The New ITV & BBC Weather Thread

BBC Thunderbolts - Are they Red, White or Blue... or yellow? (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark

That interview was for me the low point in Buerk's journalistic career. An unpleasant mixture of arrogance, and forced ignorance regarding the limits (back then) of weather forecasting

To be fair a lot of journalists ask questions they already know the answers to because the viewers will expect those questions to be asked.

Preceding his question with 'Some might say..... ' would have helped considerably
AN
Andrew Founding member
It suppose it came across odd as viewers would have seen the weather presenters as part of the BBC, rather than a third party at the Met Office which they technically were.

News presenters often question aggressively to politicians, company bosses etc, but not their own colleagues.
MA
Markymark
It suppose it came across odd as viewers would have seen the weather presenters as part of the BBC, rather than a third party at the Met Office which they technically were.

News presenters often question aggressively to politicians, company bosses etc, but not their own colleagues.

Yes, I notice sometimes they will interview a non 'TV presenter' Met Office person at Exeter when there's a report regarding the weather
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the days of Broadcast Meteorologists preparing the forecast themselves are long gone (as much as many of them are qualified, experienced forecasters), it's more about making sense of the forecast and model prepared by the Met Office and being able to communicate that to the public. That's why you have a combination of Meteorologists with TV training and TV people with meteorological training, particularly in the regions.

Hence when it goes wrong it's Exeter who take the flak. If extreme weather happens as per the forecast it's more likely that they will get a BBC Weather personality to do an explainer.
CR
Critique
Really? I always assumed that forecasters still put together the sequences themselves, although data would presumably auto populate. There was a video about Carol Kirkwood'a routine a year or so ago where she attends a weather meeting as she gets in, and then you see her prepare the forecast. Likewise, forecasts in the regions have a host of oddities, such as the forecaster on South East today standing on the other side of the screen, so all the maps and graphics are moved around, whilst Look East like to include a barometer reading.
RK
Rkolsen
Delete
Last edited by Rkolsen on 16 December 2016 12:31am
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Really? I always assumed that forecasters still put together the sequences themselves, although data would presumably auto populate. There was a video about Carol Kirkwood'a routine a year or so ago where she attends a weather meeting as she gets in, and then you see her prepare the forecast. Likewise, forecasts in the regions have a host of oddities, such as the forecaster on South East today standing on the other side of the screen, so all the maps and graphics are moved around, whilst Look East like to include a barometer reading.

That's what I mean about communicating the forecast. They put the graphics together that tell the story, but the actual forecast - the science bit - was prepared by the Met Office. I think I'm right in saying that Carol is a presenter rather than forecaster.
AN
Andrew Founding member
A flash back to Christmas Eve 2001 and they were having fun on the ITV National Weather
WE
wellandtruly25
Odd forecast blaming your graphics for not effectively showing the weather i.e. fog.

I do wish Becky Mantin would get on with her forecasts rather than the long hello and then the lengthy chat through the next few days. She only has a minute and we see under 30 secs of map! http://www.itv.com/news/2016-12-18/dense-fog-patches-remaining-across-southern-england-and-wales/
AN
Andrew Founding member
Odd forecast blaming your graphics for not effectively showing the weather i.e. fog.

I do wish Becky Mantin would get on with her forecasts rather than the long hello and then the lengthy chat through the next few days. She only has a minute and we see under 30 secs of map! http://www.itv.com/news/2016-12-18/dense-fog-patches-remaining-across-southern-england-and-wales/

Emma Jesson does that on the regional weather at weekends, presumably less time on the actual maps means its quicker to prepare 5 or 6 forecasts, or however many they do at weekends.
KN
knack
That was indeed a lovely package from David Sillitoe.

As for DTL interviews looking off camera, I've seen that in quite a few clips from the era. It looks very odd now.

Just looked it up to watch it and "This video is no longer available because rights have expired".

Any idea why that might be?
MA
Markymark
knack posted:
That was indeed a lovely package from David Sillitoe.

As for DTL interviews looking off camera, I've seen that in quite a few clips from the era. It looks very odd now.

Just looked it up to watch it and "This video is no longer available because rights have expired".

Any idea why that might be?

The Spitting Image clips ?

Newer posts