Media Websites

Digital Spy

to be downsized ... (November 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
John Koenig
I understand the ad's were the cause of the slowdown, after the upgrade, the ad's will still be sourced from the same place, so they will still be slow and cause slowdown. One would think.

I'll continue using an ad-blocker then.

It would be wise.

Just having a look at this "thing" on the DS site. Must have taken someone five minutes in Microsoft paint.

JA
james-2001
I hope it runs smoother than the last board. When they started having adverts here there and everywhere the forums slowed down dramatically on Internet Explorer for me.

Internet Explorer- there's the problem Wink
PA
pad
pad posted:
Johnr posted:
I would predict Xenforo as the platform considering it has the old vBulletin developers working on it, and no doubt they'll be helping out behind the scenes. Should be a fairly simple migration as they'll no doubt have done a full test on a recent backup of the live data anyway, it'll just be taking forever!

I've dug around and I have reason to believe they've gone with Vanilla Forums for their software.

They are migrating to vBullitin 5 Connect. Wink

Really? All signs point to Vanilla Forums!
AS
Asa Admin
The link in their announcement thread goes to the vBulletin site. It makes sense - easy(ish) upgrade path and they've probably got a support agreement with them.
PA
pad
Asa posted:
The link in their announcement thread goes to the vBulletin site. It makes sense - easy(ish) upgrade path and they've probably got a support agreement with them.

What link? I don't see any link to the vBulletin site on their announcement thread.

The mentioned Reactions feature (e.g. more than like/dislike but "Haha" etc as well) is a Vanilla Forums feature as is Jail, moreover http://forums.digitalspy.com is showing a Vanilla Forums error page, and it previously 404'd. I also don't think @mentions are a part of VB5 whereas they are, again, a VF feature.

Furthermore the upgrade would likely be simpler than taking 72 hours if going from VB3-5, I believe they are doing a major migration to different software entirely, and ditching vBulletin completely. And rightly so IMO, v5 isn't that good from what I gather.

I still think Vanilla is what they're going with, based on the above. We will soon find out.
JA
james-2001
I imagine it will take a lot longer than 72 hours anyway, these site downtimes always seem to take longer than announced!
JA
JAS84
pad posted:
Asa posted:

What link? I don't see any link to the vBulletin site on their announcement thread.
No links at all in fact except to their email address for ban appeals: forum@digitalspy.co.uk
KN
knack
pad posted:
Asa posted:

The vBulletin site is linked to a couple of times eg.
Quote:
Our new forum software brings with it a points based warning system. This means that rather than issuing bans for smaller offences, we can place users in jail - this allows you to stay on the forum but certain privileges will be lost (the ability to make threads being one of them).
JK
John Koenig
The mod post does indeed link to Vbull. However as above the forum URL now goes to Vanilla. Who knows. Confused
PA
pad
knack posted:
pad posted:
Asa posted:

The vBulletin site is linked to a couple of times eg.
Quote:
Our new forum software brings with it a points based warning system. This means that rather than issuing bans for smaller offences, we can place users in jail - this allows you to stay on the forum but certain privileges will be lost (the ability to make threads being one of them).

Funny because on my machine there is no link anywhere to vbulletin.com - the above quoted part contains no link. Very odd.

Edit: Just looked at Firefox and the link is added automatically as a "shopping link addded by SkimWords". So it's an ad basically and means nothing.

Vanilla it is, I'll eat my hat if it's not now.
JK
John Koenig
Wow these ads get smarter all the time. Pretty interested now to see the results of the migration.
JO
Johnr
Vanilla looks expensive for a site of DS size...suppose it means they don't have to worry about servers and upgrades going forward though

Newer posts