TV Home Forum

Sky's Branding

(October 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
I've just caught the start of an old Simpsons episode on Sky 1 where the American TV Ratings symbol was present in the corner. Is it my imagination or are these never usually burnt into a programme's title sequence?

Yes, it's a rogue US ratings symbol on Sky's copy of 'A Hunka Hunka Burns in Love'

tmorgan96 and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
YG
Yandere Gaming
I've noticed that Sky was airing its ''New Shows On Sky This December'' trailer a bit early. Not only that but when it promoted a new show for Sky 1, it cut off to a Sky Go advert. Please tell me it isn't anything to do with my signal....
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I've just caught the start of an old Simpsons episode on Sky 1 where the American TV Ratings symbol was present in the corner. Is it my imagination or are these never usually burnt into a programme's title sequence?

There is a Treehouse of Horror episode that "develops" the on-screen rating into a bloodthirsty character that stabs the network censor.

There are a handful of programmes, maybe syndication copies, where there is a burnt in TV rating. Worlds Wildest Police Chases (with Sheriff John Bunnell) was a key example when ITV4 was airing it, despite the show hardly ever showing any clips from outside the US but that's beside the point.
:-(
A former member
Is that the one which homer take medical marijuana, that episode never been seen before 9pm I believe?

Yes, it's a rogue US ratings symbol on Sky's copy of 'A Hunka Hunka Burns in Love'

YG
Yandere Gaming
I've just noticed Sky are using the old Sky Living logo on their main website https://www.sky.com/
RE
Rex
I've just noticed Sky are using the old Sky Living logo on their main website https://www.sky.com/

It is - but I don't see the issue.

Your signature has a bit of sense though - but Sky2 will continue to exist with the fact that it squeezes the last bit of revenue from their archive.
IS
Inspector Sands

No idea about the Simpsons but they're quite commonly seen on the start of American programmes, or at least they were when they were first introduced
YG
Yandere Gaming

Your signature has a bit of sense though - but Sky2 will continue to exist with the fact that it squeezes the last bit of revenue from their archive.

I only pointed that out because Sky normally updates their logos within weeks/months of them changing. But then again, Sky are doing this elsewhere on their sites and also in the past on various channels.

As for my signature, I'm very aware that they will keep Sky 2 on air for quite a while as an archive channel (Mainly former/current Sky 1 shows). My only complaint really is that Sky 2 rebrands with new idents and breakbumpers as it has not had a major refresh since 2011. Seeing it is an archive channel, however, I doubt Sky will
RE
Rex

I only pointed that out because Sky normally updates their logos within weeks/months of them changing. But then again, Sky are doing this elsewhere on their sites and also in the past on various channels.

As for my signature, I'm very aware that they will keep Sky 2 on air for quite a while as an archive channel (Mainly former/current Sky 1 shows). My only complaint really is that Sky 2 rebrands with new idents and breakbumpers as it has not had a major refresh since 2011. Seeing it is an archive channel, however, I doubt Sky will

It's had a new break bumper with the new logo - but the idents are unchanged mainly, with just a new logo. I doubt that Sky will bother to change it seeing the diminished state it is in.
JA
JAS84

No idea about the Simpsons but they're quite commonly seen on the start of American programmes, or at least they were when they were first introduced
They're almost always seen, the exceptions being on news, sport, and commercial advertising programming. MPAA ratings trump it on movies, but unclassified films also use the TV ratings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Parental_Guidelines
OR
orange

I think I remember seeing them quite often on showings of South Park years ago on what is now Comedy Central.
BR
Brekkie
The most useful thing they could do with Sky 2 is make it Sky Simpsons

Newer posts