(November 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
A good enough time as any to drop this here for anyone that hasn't seen it:

Night Thoughts, Larry the Loafer and Neil Jones gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Great documentary that, lost count of the number of times I've seen it now. Smile
Night Thoughts and Inspector Sands gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There was a bit during the Bob Monkhouse documentary on Gold where they showed a clip of Bob talking to the audience after Casualty had started. The BBC logo and copyright was still overlaid on screen ISTR.

That's interesting, I've seen claims posted elsewhere that Bob was locked away with the writers preparing for the additional show, leaving the increasingly annoyed studio audience to somebody else (warm up?) to keep entertained.

Obviously a fairly unrealistic expectation that Bob would launch into an hour of stand up to keep the audience happy, but nice to hear that he did do a bit.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Providing UKTV don't have my b****cks off for this, here's the aforementioned extract from Gold's documentary especially for you TV Forumers you, complete with a drizzle of gallery talkback! I find it quite surprising that this material was archived, but good on whoever decided to do so.

VM
VMPhil
Ahh! A million thanks Larry. It seems it's a mix of what look like broadcast quality and VHS-esque quality clips. Just great that the people behind the documentary dug it all out though. (I just wish they hadn't cropped all the archive footage to 16:9…)
HC
Hatton Cross
Bob did request a copy of the studio tapes of most things he did. That's highly likely to be your source of most of that footage.

Kaleidoscope administer the Bob Monkhouse archive on behalf of the family, so when going through the tapes after he went 'upstairs', footage like that would have been first to find it copied and archived onto somewhere safe.
Brekkie and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Has all his archive been listed and sorted?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Has all his archive been listed and sorted?

It was finished near enough late 2013/early 2014. Took best part of five years to get through 50k tapes.
BU
buster
Interesting in that clip you hear network being informed that they are going to come back and do the draw later - and if you go to the you tube clip of the incident, there is a continuity announcement just before the end saying just that. Very quick reaction from all involved although I expect there was a protocol in place for if that ever happened.

As for the timing - don't forget the show would have been at least a couple of minutes shorter than planned, possibly more, so assuming they went straight into Casualty they might not have been running that later at all after doing it straight after.

On Noel's House Party the week after there was a delay when the celebrity couldn't find their way out of the Cash For Questions cellar at the end of the show, and Noel said "don't worry, there'll be a delay in the lottery anyway while they fix the machine" Very Happy Very Happy
WH
Whataday Founding member
Interesting in that clip you hear network being informed that they are going to come back and do the draw later - and if you go to the you tube clip of the incident, there is a continuity announcement just before the end saying just that. Very quick reaction from all involved although I expect there was a protocol in place for if that ever happened.

Roughly three seconds between the director telling network and the continuity announcement. Very slick.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Compare Bob's performance to Dale Winton who basically had to be directed by an exasperated Alan Dedicoat

JO
Jon
So I assume they had a back up machine for those draws?

Newer posts