TV Home Forum

Murray moves to BBC1

In November (November 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GA
Gallunach
BBCME posted:
BBC One Scotland missed the junction for the news. They cut out of a promo for The River half way through in to the kites ident. They then crashed in to the news just as Kate was starting the first story.

BBC1 actually joined too early and we saw a split second of TOTH promo and there was no headline bed
JA
JAS84
BBC One NI got a shot of the empty newsroom instead of Pointless Celebrities? That's a pretty major blunder, I'm sure Points of View will be hearing about that.
BR
Brekkie
Seems a rather nice newsroom though - easily the best backdrop I've seen in any of the nations or regions.
IS
Inspector Sands
It's a studio, not a newsroom
BR
Brekkie
When is a room not a room?
BR
Brekkie
So it's Murray v Djokovic for World Number 1 tomorrow. If it was taking place earlier in the day it would almost certainly warrant the bump up to BBC1, but they're not going to move Countryfile, Strictly and Planet Earth for it
KA
KA_UK
They used to air the 1st hour of the final on BBC 2 and the rest on BBC 3. Obviously they can't do that anymore.
DV
dvboy
The final also used to be on a Monday night, it's only been Sunday - Sunday since 2014.
JA
JAS84
KA_UK posted:
They used to air the 1st hour of the final on BBC 2 and the rest on BBC 3. Obviously they can't do that anymore.
Yes, they can - using BBC4 instead of 3. But it looks like the whole thing will be on 2 this year - quite rightly so.
BR
Brekkie
Yes always annoyed me when they switched after an hour, especially as the 7pm slot was generally a repeat. Always tricky to schedule individual matches though - had BBC2 had the other semi-final yesterday they'd have been off air by 4pm.
SW
Steve Williams
The news is already late and I suspect they'll want to keep Strictly on time, but also not great PR to drop a 70-minute best bits compilation of Children in Need. The EPG now suggests a 50 minute version will air at 6.05pm if the tennis wraps up soon (final tie break beginning now).

Of course, the CiN compilation didn't go out in that slot as scheduled last year either - it was the day after the Paris attacks and so it was moved to BBC2 to make way for an extended news and an episode of Pointless. I can't remember whether it was that occasion or another where the episode of Pointless they showed as a filler was absolutely ancient, about five years old. I knew there was no way they'd have let Strictly start late yesterday, it's surely the one show of the week they absolutely desperately had to start on time. Match of the Day was another consideration, of course.

This reminded me of the Davis Cup weekends around the turn of the century, which always used to overrun spectacularly. I remember being amazed when I first saw this schedule in the Radio Times - http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1999-04-03 - with the tennis going on way into Saturday night (and I seem to recall it running even later and Birds of a Feather not getting on). The Friday session always used to overrun massively as well, and everyone would moan that they'd drop The Simpsons and Robot Wars. I remember one weekend where the coverage was scheduled to finish at six on the Friday, the first match ended at 5.55, and then they announced they were going to show the second match as well and the coverage overran by about three hours. In that period you knew if it was a Davis Cup weekend most of BBC2 would go for a burton.

That said, one of the reasons why it was such a surprise to see so much tennis in primetime is because in the previous decade or so, British tennis had been rubbish and so they never got that far in the Davis Cup.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I wonder what they would have done without the Red Button. I know the classified results aren't as important as they once were, but airing final score without the final scores would have been a bit odd.

Newer posts