The Newsroom

The New ITV & BBC Weather Thread

BBC Thunderbolts - Are they Red, White or Blue... or yellow? (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LE
Lester Founding member
Is it just my eyes or have they changed ITV's weather map so the green of the land and the shadows indicating cloud now look more defined? It looks better anyway as it was pretty unclear before especially if it was wall to wall cloud.
GM
GMc
Is it just my eyes or have they changed ITV's weather map so the green of the land and the shadows indicating cloud now look more defined? It looks better anyway as it was pretty unclear before especially if it was wall to wall cloud.

I thought that too. It also looks like the lighting in the studio has been tweaked.

16 days later

DB
dbl
Is it just me or are the ITV Weather presenters framed differently now? It seems more wider and to towards the edge of the screen (presenter's postion)
LS
Lou Scannon
Two notable things about certain ITV regions' implementation of the new-style weather graphics...

For what I think might be the first time ever (?) the Granada weathermap no longer explicitly acknowledges N-NE Wales (e.g. with a temperature symbol or whatever), as if it's sort-of a part of their designated region.

Similarly, Border weather has finally stopped clinging on to sort-of acknowledging the Isle of Man. Only 7 years or so after the island officially transferred to Granada!
GW
GarWill99
(RE: ITV Weather Graphics)

Has anyone noticed in the past few weeks that the different weather presenters have used different colours for the temperature circles and also different shades of blue for the ocean? As much as I like the new graphics, it would be much better if they all use the same variation of colours across the board.
RD
RDJ
Another BBC Weather casualty.

Peter Gibbs, formerly head of the Weather department, done his last forecast last night after 20 years at the Beeb.

He's going freelance with working at the Met according to a Twitter convo with former colleague Daniel 'That's the Weather, for now' Corbett.
BR
Brekkie
Have the BBC confirmed a date the new MeteoGroup contract comes into play - I know they've said next year but is it from January?
BE
Benjamin1
ITV has regiged the weather hubs today whether it's permanent im not sure. Kate Haskell in Exeter, Luke Castiglione in Whiteley and Kerrie Gosney in Salford.
JA
JAS84
Have the BBC confirmed a date the new MeteoGroup contract comes into play - I know they've said next year but is it from January?
Spring, according to MeteoGroup's own website, though the article seems to be gone.

Google Search posted:

MeteoGroup: BBC Weather Contract Awarded to MeteoGroup
www.meteogroup.com/fr/fr/.../bbc-weather-contract-awarded-to-meteogroup-7.html
The BBC has awarded the contract for the provision of its weather services to MeteoGroup from Spring 2017 following a regulated procurement process.

When I clicked the link, it redirected to the homepage.
BR
Brekkie
Thanks
WE
wellandtruly25
Wonder whether Meteogroup will even out the BBC male:female weather presenter ratio? I now make it 11:5 (was 13:5 but Alex D and Peter Gibbs have left). Seems a bit lopsided to me.

(But I suppose itv is 4:1 women to men).
AS
AlexS
Wonder whether Meteogroup will even out the BBC male:female weather presenter ratio? I now make it 11:5 (was 13:5 but Alex D and Peter Gibbs have left). Seems a bit lopsided to me.

(But I suppose itv is 4:1 women to men).

I'm not sure just looking at the numbers is a good way to create a gender ratio for the weather as a lot of the presenters have historically worked on other contracts as well as the BBC meaning that some presenters have tended to appear a lot more frequently than others. Even now I'd guess that the female presenters present a higher proportion of the BBC1 forecasts at least than the numbers would suggest.

Newer posts