TV Home Forum

BT Sport - Launch of BT Sport Ultimate

Dolby Atmos to be introduced 28-Nov-2020 (June 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NW
nwtv2003
I wonder whether UEFA will take into consideration the smaller audience and profile the Champions League has now. BT does a good job of coverage but the big games don't get a fraction of what they got on ITV.

I'd imagine that UEFA would want to have a PSB channel take up some of the matches. The Champions League sadly has had a diminished audience ever since BT took control of the rights. Even worse, they are late in providing information if a match is on the Showcase channel.

That's too true, I have never seen BT promote it. You only tend to find out on websites such as Sport on the Box or A516. Quite often when the actual match is on, you often see people on Facebook saying X vs Y is on channel 59, or words to that affect.

I think UEFA need ITV more than ITV need UEFA.
jackhendo, Night Thoughts and Brekkie gave kudos
RE
Rex
I wonder whether UEFA will take into consideration the smaller audience and profile the Champions League has now. BT does a good job of coverage but the big games don't get a fraction of what they got on ITV.

I'd imagine that UEFA would want to have a PSB channel take up some of the matches. The Champions League sadly has had a diminished audience ever since BT took control of the rights. Even worse, they are late in providing information if a match is on the Showcase channel.

That's too true, I have never seen BT promote it. You only tend to find out on websites such as Sport on the Box or A516. Quite often when the actual match is on, you often see people on Facebook saying X vs Y is on channel 59, or words to that affect.

I think UEFA need ITV more than ITV need UEFA.

I can't help but feel that the Champions League will be more viable if BT and ITV make a deal.

This is speculation - but BT apparently are planning to develop a rival to Sky1, highlighted by how a BT Sport executive resigned over this plan. If BT were to regain full control of the Champions League rights - a BT entertainment channel could fit the bill in showcasing this, as well as provide programming exclusive to the service.

With pay TV's limited reach, ideally BT would pull off a Virgin Media and have their channel on Freeview. But it'll be unlikely anyway because of the need to help BT TV combat Sky.
NW
nwtv2003
Can't see BT launching a Sky1 type service, they barely have enough content to fill AMC and BT Showcase.

Easiest way is for ITV to show say one game a week and for BT to sponsor/advertise around it.

Whether that'll happen who knows, but when the deal is reached I just cannot see it being the status quo.
BR
Brekkie
Have ITV been priced out though - yes, they get demos other shows don't get but suspect the cheap and crappy Tuesday night line up breaks even and they've shown no sign of trying to improve it since losing the rights so suspect they're happy to leave things as they are.
WH
whoiam989
Such a hard competition ahead in order to buy football fans' heart...

rdd posted:
I am not sure why they didn't when they had the opportunity - although I suspect there is some sort of non-compete clause in their agreement with BT that stops them from doing so.

Either way, for the present, and despite their separate ownership, Eir Sport 2 (owned by Eir) and Premier Sports (owned by Michael O'Rourke) continue to run as one single service.

I thought there'd be a market for Irish sports in the UK, so thought BT should use this oppotunity by bundling what is right now called Premier Sports.
GE
thegeek Founding member
This Sunday's European Football Show will be in 4K, as will the Milan Derby after it.

9 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
Compare and contrast the two Premier League rights packages for BTS. Last year Christmas/NY was a BT feast with the 2013-6 deal, this not, however we get two PL games this Satuday to compensate in the 2016-9 arrangement. I know which I'd prefer.
NW
nwtv2003
Compare and contrast the two Premier League rights packages for BTS. Last year Christmas/NY was a BT feast with the 2013-6 deal, this not, however we get two PL games this Satuday to compensate in the 2016-9 arrangement. I know which I'd prefer.

I'm sure United/Chelsea was one of the Christmas games on BT last year, a fixture you probably won't see on BT again.

I must admit I preferred the lunchtime kick offs being on BT, the build up was better.

Shoe on the other foot - SNF on Sky was dire.
SW
Steve Williams
I'm sure United/Chelsea was one of the Christmas games on BT last year, a fixture you probably won't see on BT again.

BT still have midweek games, so they've got Liverpool vs Chelsea in January. Just as good, I would suggest.
JA
jackhendo

I must admit I preferred the lunchtime kick offs being on BT, the build up was better.

Shoe on the other foot - SNF on Sky was dire.

I agree, miss Fletch and Sav on Saturday mornings too!
GE
thegeek Founding member
Twitter was always full of people moaning about Fletch & Sav, but at the beginning of this season it was full of people complaining it had gone. You can't win!
JO
Jon
Twitter was always full of people moaning about Fletch & Sav, but at the beginning of this season it was full of people complaining it had gone. You can't win!

Well actually if people are moaning about something it means they're watching it and taking an interest.

Newer posts