The Newsroom

New look Five News onwards

Split from Five News from ITN (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
Why did Viacom ask OFCOM to be allowed to increase the amount of hours of news they had to provide based on their license earlier this year? I've seen it mentioned a lot in articles talking about the new look and strikes me as a strange move in a world of cutting back on news.

They were already exceeding the quota in any case, so it was presumably considered worthwhile to have that reflected in the licence.
BR
Brekkie
I suspect there was a trade off in mind too with some PSB element they'd like to get rid of.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I suspect the weather is coming from the Met Office studio as Chris Page is forecasting today, plus the presenter appears to be in SD with a HD CSO backdrop.
RK
Rkolsen
Why did Viacom ask OFCOM to be allowed to increase the amount of hours of news they had to provide based on their license earlier this year? I've seen it mentioned a lot in articles talking about the new look and strikes me as a strange move in a world of cutting back on news.

They were already exceeding the quota in any case, so it was presumably considered worthwhile to have that reflected in the licence.

I would have kept the quota as is so that way they could say they were doing more than the bare minimum. Just to make it look good on paper.
JA
Jaskers1983
Did anyone see the weather after the 6.30 bulletin tonight? It was a longer forecast and great moving graphics. Such an improvement.
HB
HarryB
Sian Welby has left 5 Weather now, moving on to pastures new.

29 days later

BR
Brekkie
5 News Tonight replaced by 2016 reviews on Brexit, Trump, Celeb Deaths etc. in the week commencing 12th December, then no full bulletins at all the following week despite other channels continuing as normal until the 23rd.
Last edited by Brekkie on 3 December 2016 6:23pm

9 days later

JA
Jaskers1983
Will 5 news tonight return?? It's slightly disappointing of channel 5 to decrease its news output so early before Christmas, especially with the increasing their news quota with ofcom.
LL
Will 5 news tonight return?? It's slightly disappointing of channel 5 to decrease its news output so early before Christmas, especially with the increasing their news quota with ofcom.

The specials count towards their news quota. In any case, it's an annual event where they replace a bulletin that hardly anyone watches for pre-recorded current affairs output.
JA
Jaskers1983
I understand this. It's just a shame they decrease their standard news bulletins so early when other networks don't.
LL
I caught 'A Right Royal Year' tonight and was pleasantly surprised that it was live from the 5 News studio with Matt Barbet chairing a panel including Royal Correspondent Simon Vigar.
BR
Brekkie
I think the biggest issue is that they've no full length news bulletins (or indeed anything beyond a couple of hourly updates) at all from tomorrow night through to the 3rd January. They're definately knocking off a week early.

Newer posts